KUKA Robot Vs. Timo Boll Table Tennis Match Shows Days Of Human Supremacy Are Numbered

Stop calling yourself a robo-fanatic if you haven't seen the commercial aired by Germany's Kuka Robotics. The commercial is a duel between the Kuka industrial robot and Timo Boll, the ping-pong champion (formerly world #1, currently #8). The commercial is meant to showcase the speed and precision with which the modern industrial robots are able to operate. The commercial shows Kuka losing the match to Boll; but we believe the match was fixed to make us feel comfortable. But you should now be convinced that the days of human supremacy are numbered; whether you like it or not.

The commercial is meant to showcase the speed of operations of the industrial robots developed by Kuka. If you've ever played table tennis, you'd know that the reaction time to play the ball back is 0+. Kuka does it all with the help of high speed tracking sensors, cameras, motors and sophisticated computer algorithms. It's a delight to watch how quickly the robot responds to the spins and shots fired by Timo Boll. The makers of Kuka say that it's the fastest robot on Earth and we've no reason to doubt it.

slide

Some of you may argue that it's unfair to have a duel between a static robot vs. a world champion. Fair enough! Regular readers of VoiCE may recall our post about Foosball Playing Robot Beats Humans. It's already happening and it's just a matter of time that the machines will take the control.

You may also want to have a look at the making of the commercial -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Aah-ma-zing video! 😲

And +1 to the title of the post.
  • ereder
    ereder
    So, step by step, if machines take over all human activity, including art and science, what will happen to the organic body and its conditioned-to-work-and-think brain? Surely, will it decay? Is mankind-machines coexistence possible while people are fighting for jobs and resources: competition, nations, and so on? Anyway, beyond table tennis and chess, what is the endeavour in which a robot cannot take part or channel at all suscesfully? Why won't the future automatons be alive? What is the fundamental difference between a mechanical structure, organic or inorganic, that imitates life and life itself? Is there any, virtual or real? If it said that there is a difference, is it just some kind of authority who is defining and differentiati g? Perhaps then, someday, will be a powerful automaton the one who will define life, its unique life, truth itself? That is, where does life begin and end? Therefore, where does death too? Along these lines, there is a peculiar book, a preview in #-Link-Snipped-# Just another suggestion, in order to free-think for a while
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Humans are only trying to be God. The ultimate design in robotics is already with us - and that is humans. God apparently has been billions or trillions of years ahead of us in science and technology. The human greed and destructive mentality might lead to self-thinking, organising machines that will be uncontrollable one day.

My worry is that human intelligence isn't progressing just as fast as these machines are. What do our CEans say?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An absorbing contest:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    An absorbing contest:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Sir, did you go through our cover here? -
    KUKA Robot Vs. Timo Boll Table Tennis Match Shows Days Of Human Supremacy Are Numbered
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I searched for it but the search did not return a match. So I posted it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Merged both discussions 😀
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I support Big K arguement that humans are one of the best robots but nature is ahead of us and no one can challenge it alone No human is better than anything .I follow the idea of each and every particle, atom or any other damn god particle has equal capabilities.
    Humans!!!!!
    Behave yourself!!!!
    All are equal.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sorry I left one thing to say.
    Hats off to true engineers who made all our lives true and beautiful.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Singapore might be the first nation to launch the heterogeneous network (HetNet) across the country to offer users of mobile data with seamless switching between cellular (3G or 4G) and...
Flipkart seems to be working on their own branded smartphone; reports BGR India. It's being learned that the company is now in talks with various chipset makers and might have...
Do you think Indian companies hiring process is outdated now? i.e Group Discussion (A Major Elimination Round) and all This happened with me during my engineering days when I was...
Connected cars are very soon going to be accessible to all. Connected cars take advantage of the rise of smartphones and the constant effort made to make internet accessible to...
How do I identify Cat5 and Cat6 cables? What are the differences between these two cable-types and which one is better?