View Feed
group-icon
Gadget Geeks
Discuss all electronic gadgets - ask questions, doubts, troubleshooting tips et al. to fellow gadget geeks.
609 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 24, 2012

Just upgraded Galaxy Note To Android 4.0 ICS

Just upgraded Galaxy Note to Android 4.0 ICS, but it doesn't feel like a major OS upgrade at all. First of all, everything else just looks the same with just few UI tweaks and updated apps.

The upgrade wasn't available OTA, so I had to install the Kies latest version. But that didn't solve the problems right away. The firmware stopped downloading at about 36% first. It downloaded 100% in the next go; but the phone failed to fetch it from the computer. It only worked in 3rd attempt; but I lost about 2.5 hours in the process.

I like the updated S-Note app and it adds lot of exciting new functionality with the animated playback tool. Overall, happy; but not excited, about the new update.
Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar • May 24, 2012
congrats...😀 .
I find kies is a bad PC suite, It didn't recognise my phone *most of times*.
whereas Nokia PC suite is awesome.
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 24, 2012
I agree. Kies always had problems recognizing when a phone is connected to the PC. I had to turn the phone off and on several times before I could get it to work. Samsung really needs to focus on developing a quality desktop software.

By the way, the Kies Air works fine; but it does not allow firmware upgrades directly.
Anoop Kumar
Anoop Kumar • May 24, 2012
yup .. Kies air works good for browsing contents..
VeluKar
VeluKar • May 28, 2012
The_Big_K
Just upgraded Galaxy Note to Android 4.0 ICS, but it doesn't feel like a major OS upgrade at all. First of all, everything else just looks the same with just few UI tweaks and updated apps.

The upgrade wasn't available OTA, so I had to install the Kies latest version. But that didn't solve the problems right away. The firmware stopped downloading at about 36% first. It downloaded 100% in the next go; but the phone failed to fetch it from the computer. It only worked in 3rd attempt; but I lost about 2.5 hours in the process.

I like the updated S-Note app and it adds lot of exciting new functionality with the animated playback tool. Overall, happy; but not excited, about the new update.
Thanks for the update. So whats the final recommendation...
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 28, 2012
VeluKar
Thanks for the update. So whats the final recommendation...
Recommendation? Well, update it anyway. I think the ICS improves the battery life a lot. That's the most positive difference I've noticed yet. Also, the 'My Story' app promised by Samsung in the advertisements of the premium suite is nowhere to be seen. I guess they're yet to release it officially.
VeluKar
VeluKar • May 30, 2012
Yep... updated to ICS.... Note works like a breeze now... though not much of a difference in the UI or the overall design... but not sure about the battery life... seems battery drains faster...
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • May 30, 2012
My experience is the reverse : Batter life seems to be improved. Maybe because I always keep the phone in 'GSM Only' mode and keep the 'packet data' setting off. That saves lot of battery, in my opinion. Do give it a try.
VeluKar
VeluKar • May 31, 2012
Oki. Need to check that out... but keeping data on is a must in my case due to mail requirements.... Let me try out keeping the data off during the weekend.

Share this content on your social channels -