Just published Office Word Touch

Taking a side step from my other project (Software project for civil/structural field engineer) I just wrote a touch oriented office app for windows tablets and PC's. The goal of this project is to get as close to a real MS Office Word experience with touch-oriented UI as possible.

#-Link-Snipped-#

I started this project because I couldn't find any touch-oriented app on the windows app store that actually worked. Most are just simple text editors with no support for tables, images, word cross-outs, etc. So, I wrote this app to allow metro users to have a touch-oriented MS Word experience.

There are 2 menus: the collapsible radial menu and the menu bars on the left. Why put the menu bar on the left? Traditionally, menus are put either on top or bottom. Well, because most people use tablets in landscape mode. Why take vertical real estates away from the document itself while there are empty unused spaces on the left or right side of the tablet? To me, putting the menu bars on the left makes more sense. Gives the document itself more vertical space.

Anyway, if you have windows 8.1, try it out and please give me suggestions on how I can make it better. Trial has full features.

Replies

• livingenzyme
    livingenzyme
    The first review mentioned the lack of a spell checker. So I spent the weekend writing out a spell checker ago while watching my nephew play baseball. And here's the result.2310d1403583883-finally-published-word-touch-app-3
  • livingenzyme
    livingenzyme
    I've made significant updates to the app since my last message.

(1) Updated the UI outlook to make it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

(2) Significantly improved the spell checker.

(3) Added document statistics to count number of words, sentences, paragraphs, tables, and pages.

(4) Added read-only and full-screen modes.

(5) Added ability to open and edit several documents at once. The user can easily switch back and forth between the tabs. Screenshots below.

(6) Most importantly, I've re-optimized the coding structure to significantly improve speeds while decreasing the size of the app (from 3.6mb to 1.7mb). It's amazing what difference it makes to the speed and size of your app by the way you structure your code.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IPintentio is founded by the duo - Arijit Dutta and Soumen Basak, who are IIT Bombay pass-outs from the 2000 batch. Arijit Dutta has more than 12 years of experience...
Hello!@ I download TV driver for my pc, and when i try to install the driver, i fail because the driver i download a not run setup for staring install.....
Back in 2012 Sharp broke the record for the world’s highest solar cell conversion efficiency of 37.7% and their new ambitious technology claims to double the current standard. The concept...
Hi friends, Recently I placed in a construction company later I contacted one of the Sr. Mechanical Engineer who working here, He suggested me in construction company as a mechanical...
Ford India Private Limited has launched its brand new 2014 Ford Fiesta in 3 diesel variants - 1.5D Ambiente, 1.5D Trend and 1.5D Titanium with redesigned look and additional features....