John McAfee Developing “D-Central” To Block NSA Snooping

Edward Snowden’s public disclosure of PRISM program by NSA has caused uproar among privacy enthusiasts worldwide. As the US government is trying to justify its move, people are now working on getting themselves out of NSA’s purview. Taking a big step forward in blocking NSA access, antivirus software founder John McAfee has unveiled his plan to create a gadget called that can create a decentralised network between smartphones, tablets, and laptops. Speaking at San Jose McEnery Convention Center last weekend he gave out some details on his project titled #-Link-Snipped-#.

John McAfee

The “D-Central” will be priced at less than 100 US dollars and will create small private networks backed by a un-hackable encryption system created by McAfee himself through which multiple users can send and receive files and communicate among themselves across various devices. This localized dynamic network however will not be replacing the Internet as its range will be limited to about the radius of three blocks. McAfee predicts that his system will be popular among college students who would want this system to share copyrighted content like they did with Napster. McAfee is almost six months away from developing a prototype and is now seeking help from OEMs to assist him with the hardware. Addressing media queries regarding the nefarious use of this invention, John McAfee wants to sell you a $100 gadget that blocks the NSA - The Verge that the same thing also applies to other modes of communication such as telephone. Since this gadget is specifically targeted to go against the will of the US government he predicts that it would probably get banned in America and if that does happen he would sell it in other countries.

Now as the debate on snooping by government authorities rages on, here is my question to all CEans. Can we really communicate in private over the internet?

Source: John McAfee wants to sell you a $100 gadget that blocks the NSA - The Verge

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A price tag of 100$ is reasonable for the one who want a privacy indeed.Mcafee idea would have been the best if he had announced it with a maximum range of communication guard.Just 3 blocks of security or privacy is not enough for commercial success but may prove vital in some important applications.It may serve the best in military applications but again the 3block range is insufficient.Mcafee has found what people wants and he can come out with flying success in future.
  • Divyanshu Sharma
    Divyanshu Sharma
    Privacy over internet is turning out to be a concern for sure. I am afraid we can't have many options for it, D-central looks to be a fair trial but then it will be a restricted network, I have apprehensions about its mass appeal, though it seems suitable for 'very specific applications'. But concluding much before its launch is premature. Lets see what turn up after the remaining 188 days.😐
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't trust in McAfee. McAfee might got approached by NSA & they together are working on this ? Who knows ?
    Anything that is closed source, might contain backdoor. I can't access the code? Sorry, I won't trust you.
    But question is, What if compiler itself contains backdoor ?

BTW, There are no way to get rid of NSA, unless you stop using any proprietary (closed-source) softwares, remove the connection of internet, stop using any social networking website, stop using gmail-ymail, stop using google maps.
    And stop using cell-phones either, they're illegally tapped.

Inshort, you can't get rid of NSA unless you stop using all latest technologies.
    #Trapped.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There were times I used Mcafee. I believe NSA can't be Skipped. No matter what encryption you put in place, they have the access to the physical machines and the cables that move data to them. They can put taps anywhere and get access to everything; and since it's Government controlled; there's nothing much anyone can do about it. 👎

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Now Samsung’s smartwatch tried to solve the problem of calls on a smartwatch by introducing a speaker phone. The trouble with this speakerphone was that everyone on your vicinity could...
Now this is a problem of engineers all over. Buried in assignment or exams you often miss on current affairs of the world. So what do you do to keep...
when measuring very low resistance(miliohm), it is necessary to perform 4 wire test in order to get an accurate reading. However, can opamp(comparator) provide a better accuracy when come to...
So we've had an eventful September 2013! We're excited to announce three winners of the CEoM contest - CEoM September 2013 : @SarathKumar Chandrasekaran First Runner : @Satya Swaroop Dash...
It looks like the industry and education disconnect in India is hurting almost everyone involved. The industry seems to be constantly complaining about the general lack of high quality engineers...