Job vs Higher Study

I am about to complete my Btech in Electrical Engineering in 2016.
I have a job offer from Samsung Korea (pays about 140k USD). Also I have got a MS offer from Stanford.
I am not able to decide what should I pursue next.
1.) If I go for M.S , then I would get a similar paying job after that, so it feels like my two years in MS could be a waste. Also there would be a huge financial loss.
2.)But I also do not want to let go of an opportunity to go to Stanford for higher studies.

In terms of career prospects, I wish to return to India after gaining foreign exposure for 4-5 years.
So which is a better option in terms of future prospects in India:
1.) Going to Stanford and studying for two years and then doing job for two years in US and returning to India.
2.) Working for 4 years at Samsung and returning to India.

In the second case I will be financially well off (about 2 crores) but I may have developed less intellectually.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# -
    Kushaagra Goyal
    but I may have developed less intellectually.
    Could you tell us what exactly on your mind when you say that?
  • Kushaagra Goyal
    Kushaagra Goyal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# -

Could you tell us what exactly on your mind when you say that?
    I think language could be a barrier in Korea which can hinder my prospects and growth in the company.
  • S.m.Al-Razi
    S.m.Al-Razi
    Study in stanford.. ☺
  • Kushaagra Goyal
    Kushaagra Goyal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Any reasons for this preference?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the real value of Stanford education comes from the strong alumni network. Unless you've strong desire to opt for higher studies and have the 'Stanford' stamp on your degree; my suggestion would be to opt for Samsung. You haven't mentioned how much would Stanford education set you back by in terms of money; but I'm pretty sure it's not cheap by any means. The total cost of opportunity is : 2 Years + lot of money + EMIs that will follow. Not that they'll create a burden on you; but I don't think it makes sense if you aren't getting 2x-3x the job your job is ready to pay now and maybe after 2 -3 years.

You've already set your mind to returning to India and I'd rather hope that you are firm about your plans. If you've to repay the bank loans, you'll likely have to stay in a foreign country for longer period.

I think in your current situation, opting for the job looks to be a wiser decision. Do let us know what you decide and I'm sure you'll do absolutely great. All the best!
  • Kushaagra Goyal
    Kushaagra Goyal
    Thanks for your detailed answer. The total cost of opportunity is estimated to be around 2 crores. (2 year salary savings + money spent on education).
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    You can always defer your admit by a few semesters. May be join Samsung, see if the pay and the subsequent savings are really as much as what they have offered (and you have calculated). If they do not, go to Stanford after a year. If they do and after a year you have no desire left to go for higher education, the choice is simple. Although, if the money is as per your expectations and you still want to opt for higher education after that year, Stanford is waiting for you. In which case, you can also fund a part of your education at Stanford from the savings you made in Samsung.

Note: Check if deferring your admit is allowed. Most US universities I came across allow that, but check anyway.

All the very best!
  • Kushaagra Goyal
    Kushaagra Goyal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Stanford EE department do not allow deferred admission. Your idea was the first thing that came to my mind, but on enquiry they refused offering any deferred admission 😔.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Too bad. Another option would be to re-apply post your job exp. If you can get in once, the Samsung R&D experience will only boost your application (I hope) the second time around. Just a thought. Btw, is this a funded admit? If it is, the burden of decision on you might ease off a little .
  • Kushaagra Goyal
    Kushaagra Goyal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    No, it is not a funded admit. Decision would have been surely much easier if it had been a funded admit.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Kushaagra Goyal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    No, it is not a funded admit. Decision would have been surely much easier if it had been a funded admit.
    I see, what is the I-20 amount? Did you accept the admit and receive the I-20 yet?
  • Kushaagra Goyal
    Kushaagra Goyal
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I20 amount is 78000 USD. I have accepted the offer but not applied for I20 yet. I will apply for I20 after I finalise where I will go.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    $78000 is a big number. Tough call. It looks like a win-win, but this is something only you can and should decide. A very very big jump in assumption: If you were to let Samsung know you have an admit for Stanford, would they be interested in sponsoring your education (of course with a future internship+work contract with Samsung)? The stakes are very high, so take my opinions as ramblings as I do not want to bias your decision.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The latest announcement from Acer India has loads in store for hardcore gamers. For the first time, Acer has launched its flagship predator game series consisting of a desktop, laptop,...
An Interdisciplinary research approach has optimized the possibilities and openly up new insights into naturally occurring phenomena,and also welcomed the amalgamation of segregated and distinct topics. One such innovation, organic...
A group of researchers from India's Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Thiruvananthapuram has recently paid tribute to the daring Indian soldiers who endure the most extreme climatic conditions near the Siachen...
Can any one send me the abstract for "Build a virtual reality system where people can interact with virtual objects or creatures without the need of headsets, goggles, or any...
Micromax Canvas Spark 2 Plus smartphone has been launched in India as a Snapdeal-exclusive product, and could be availed in three color variants - Metallic Grey, Copper Gold, and Champagne...