JOb or MBA

Hi Fellow CEans.. This is Ankur..I am doing my Btech in CSE and i will be entering my 4th year of engg.
Actually I need a suggestion .I am placed in Infosys and Oracle Financial Services(i-flex)..
So first of all should i join Company frst then go for MBA or i should go for the Job for 2 years and then go for MBA!!! HEll i am confused😕!!

and if, i go for job which company should i select?? plz help me..
Thanks!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The advice is straightforward:-

Get some experience before you jump into MBA. Ideally, I'd recommend minimum 2 years of experience before you think of MBA. You may keep your preparations on while you're gaining work experience.

Don't you think its too early to decide which company to join? You've one full year before you actually join. Wait for one year to see the fate of Indian IT Industry.

Keep your MBA entrance exam studies on and try to get into one of the top 10 B-Schools in India.

Oh yes, don't worry, you've time and you're doing fantastic. Concentrate on your engineering studies as well.
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    The_Big_K
    The advice is straightforward:-

Get some experience before you jump into MBA. Ideally, I'd recommend minimum 2 years of experience before you think of MBA. You may keep your preparations on while you're gaining work experience.

Don't you think its too early to decide which company to join? You've one full year before you actually join. Wait for one year to see the fate of Indian IT Industry.

Keep your MBA entrance exam studies on and try to get into one of the top 10 B-Schools in India.

Oh yes, don't worry, you've time and you're doing fantastic. Concentrate on your engineering studies as well.
    yeah you are right but i was wondering will it be possible to prepare simultaneously for Mba while doing job...as the company is not gonna pay me for sitting idle..surely they will take hell lot of work out of me...So where will be Time for preparation...thats the only thing that disturbs me !!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Start preparing today. Take the CAT 08 and see where you stand in the race. Its possible to prepare for entrance exams while you're employed - you just need to be disciplined & dedicated.

All I know is - if you 'want' to do it - you'll do it anyway. Maybe you'll have to get up at 4 in the morning to study. Maybe you'll have to skip those late night parties/movies/dinners with friends. Its about dedication & hard work, my friend.

Impossible is nothing.
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    hmm.....thanx for those motivating words !!!

Hey ned to tell ya something..actually i am a regular follower of your blog..U r Just awesome man.. !!
    I am kinda adiicted to reading ur posts everyday...seriously !!!
    Keep up the good work man!!
    tc
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Start preparing today. Take the CAT 08 and see where you stand in the race. Its possible to prepare for entrance exams while you're employed - you just need to be disciplined & dedicated.

All I know is - if you 'want' to do it - you'll do it anyway. Maybe you'll have to get up at 4 in the morning to study. Maybe you'll have to skip those late night parties/movies/dinners with friends. Its about dedication & hard work, my friend.

Impossible is nothing.
    You are right biggi...

Ankur - Better to appear for CAT '08 and check your potential.
    I am not doubting your abilities, but everyone is not good in everything. CAT is a exam where you should have good problem solving skills with fast processing speed.
    1. If you get less than 85-90 percentile and want to pursue MBA then its better that you prepare for MBA only; do not look for Job.
    2. If you get more than 85-90 percentile then you may go for job and can prepare MBA with JOB.

Again its my thinking.

-Crazy
  • shilpi_goel
    shilpi_goel
    hello friends....i have somewhat similar kind of problem as ankur had.....ie..whether to go for a job or MBA. i have entered into third year IT....most of my classmates have joined classes for either GRE or MBA.... but i think they all are just following the rat race....even i think that one should first apply his technical knowledge and then master the business administration......am i right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shilpi - I want you to do one simple exercise, with all your honesty.

Go on a long walk, relax your mind and think what you really want to be in your life. What will give you most pleasure & satisfaction. What are your interests & what is your passion? Once you get those answers; think if MBA / MS or whatever will help you achieve that. If the answer is 'no', there's no point in going for higher education. If yes, you already know your answer.

You didn't really expect that sort of advice, I know. But you know what? There's no point in running after MBA / MS just because everyone else is doing it. It will just tire you and leave you frustrated.

That's my advice. Otherwise, start preparing for GRE/CAT, because the syllabus is more or less the same : Quant, Data Interpretation & Vocab.

Regarding Job or MBA : My advice always is the same - job for minimum two years and then MBA. That gives you ample time to see where you stand in the race, gain professional experience & prepare for the entrance exams.
  • shilpi_goel
    shilpi_goel
    I completely agree with you....and thanks a lot for the unexpected but wonderful advice...!!! Now i have firmly decided to go for a job before doing MBA.....thanks Big_K...!!!😀
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Why dont ya guys go for earn-n-learn option m sure every IT company has tie-up with some good Institute,u only have to sign some bond but it helps when ur bond period is over.Wipro and MBT has such programes.
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    The_Big_K,

I'm basically a Malaysian origin. I'm doin my B.E here in India, right now I'm in my final year. If i want to my MBA here in India, which Business School accepts foreign students? However I have got a placement with Capgemini.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    prabakarnaidu
    The_Big_K,

I'm basically a Malaysian origin. I'm doin my B.E here in India, right now I'm in my final year. If i want to my MBA here in India, which Business School accepts foreign students? However I have got a placement with Capgemini.
    Hi Prabakar,

I believe almost all B-Schools do admit foreign students. The best place to find out more about eligibility criteria is to check the websites of the B-Schools' you're applying to. Have you done that yet?

Let us know if you don't find the information you're looking for. We'll then seek help from our CEans who're in B-Schools or have done their MBA from Indian B-Schools.

On a personal note, I recommend spending some time in corporate world before going for MBA.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I agree with Biggie, its best to learn the ropes with the job. That way when you finally decide to go for MBA, you will have the satisfaction of funding it on your own earnings.

Also, your theoretical knowledge would have been tempered with the corporate practices.
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    The_Big_K
    Hi Prabakar,

I believe almost all B-Schools do admit foreign students. The best place to find out more about eligibility criteria is to check the websites of the B-Schools' you're applying to. Have you done that yet?

Let us know if you don't find the information you're looking for. We'll then seek help from our CEans who're in B-Schools or have done their MBA from Indian B-Schools.

On a personal note, I recommend spending some time in corporate world before going for MBA.

Even I'm thinking the same thing, gain some experience before enrolling myself into MBA.
  • swati_akasheeni
    swati_akasheeni
    hi all,
    i am a final year,computer science engineer.i am selected into accenture.i am confused over the point that whether i should go for the PG prog. that company provides(possibly after 2 years) or i should appear in CAT(in that case i'll have to start preparing from now) and then go for MBA.i would also like to confirm,can i keep 'correspondence MBA' as an option or not.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Swati,

As recommended by most of our CEans who are MBAs, spending some time in corporate world always helps. So, it would be nice if you hold you PG plans for 2-3 years and gain some experience in the technical field.

Could you please provide us with the details of PG program offered by Accenture? Company sponsored MBA is always recommended, but you'll have to be careful while making a decision. Its too early to worry about it.

Of course you should appear for CAT! It will give you a feel of competition.

Correspondence courses are strict NO NO! 😀
  • swati_akasheeni
    swati_akasheeni
    thanks Big K.
    company just told in their PPT that it has some collaboration with MIT and XLRI and the employees can do MBA after two years of service.No information about bond was stated.
  • veerutce
    veerutce
    The advice,given by Big_K was simply superb. I completely agree with you.Even,i went for a long walk and got great results with your simple but powerful exercise..
    Hats Off.
    veeru tce😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    veerutce
    The advice,given by Big_K was simply superb. I completely agree with you.Even,i went for a long walk and got great results with your simple but powerful exercise..
    Hats Off.
    veeru tce😀
    Thanks for your nice words, veerutc. [​IMG] Best!
  • aashima
    aashima
    Definitely! I too have realized lately that gaining experience before going for MBA gives your learning a new edge. Even companies recruiting in MBA colleges prefer experienced students over freshers. MBA is not just a degree to be pursued, its an exposure that brushes you into a manager and develop those managerial skills in you and that I guess requires one to atleast go through the levels that come under a manager.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Guyz, Please fill in the following survey and help us . Youth Survey - Survey powered by eSurveysPro.com Regards, -KGV
guys can anybody mail me of where shall i can get a project on "nanotechnology" guys give quick reply b'cos our sir is on knife-edge!!!!!!!!!😕
hey hiiiii folks i m aman ,studying in hamburg ,doing my bachelors in mechatronics !!!!

y0!

Hi guys and girls! U can see details about me in my profile so I'll just introduce myself shortly. My name is Angel, I study General Engineering Sciences in Germany...
Hey .. want some ideas final year mechanical diploma project. 😉 THANKS