Job as Instrumentation Engineer in EPC company or MS from NUS(National University of Singapore)

Hi,
I have gained admission into the MS Electrical Engg with specialization in Automation and Control at NUS ,Singapore which stands 22nd in the world university rankings.
I also have job offer as Asst Engineer in the Instrumentation and Control field at an EPC company specializing in oil-field operations at Abu-Dhabi.
I am in a dilemma as what to choose.
I want to see myself in the technical track in a good position in the future. I am 23 and would like to settle down well by 29-30.
Is it advisable to reapply for MS after 2-3yrs of work experience ? would that any good?
Should I even consider doing higher studies as I have heard that experience counts more than degrees as far as Instrumentation and Control is concerned.
Please do advice. I have to make a decision by this month.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    Having minimum of 2 years of experience will prove worthwhile before going for a MS.
    Points to consider:
    - You will be aware of how theoretical knowledge learnt in the class is applied in real life applications. It helps you to grasp the concepts, build your understanding and relate them to the work you have already did. Imagine "Oh yes! I have done multi-variable control during my project" vs "Ok. This is multi-variable control. How is it really applied in industry?" Hope you get my point.
    - During your job, you will get yourself trained in many software/hardware, configuring drives, selecting instruments based on specifications, etc which is never taught in most of undergraduate or graduate colleges. After you complete your Masters, most companies still ask for your experience in specific software (which is crazy but true) as they need "ready to work" individuals.
    - In US, most companies wanting to hire Control Systems/Instrumentation engineers ask for 2 to 3 years of industry work experience even if you have a Masters degree. You might get some internship experience during your Masters but if you have a prior experience, things will be easy for finding jobs. If you are looking to find jobs in Singapore post Masters, is the situation different?
    - Working for few years just after your undergraduate degree helps you build communication, interpersonal, time management, documentation, client interaction, management skills. These skills can never be taught and I think its good to go into a graduate college with a matured business mindset. It helps in the long run.
    - I looked at some of the ECE@NUS for MS in ECE with specialization as Automation and Control. It looks a good course with focus on relevant subjects. Try interacting with seniors from NSU in Automation and Control and understand about the job search process and requirement in Singapore.
    - If you are an international student, what are points to keep in mind for finding jobs in Singapore? Do many companies sponsor for work? If yes, what do they want, is Masters degree enough or would 2-3 years of work give you a huge advantage?

I understand everyone has different priorities (family, financial, career) and one advice that suits someone might not suit a second person. Still, as life is unpredictable, taking a information and facts based decision has higher probability to prove helpful. All the best!
  • RAAZIQ
    RAAZIQ
    Shreyas Sule
    Having minimum of 2 years of experience will prove worthwhile before going for a MS.
    Points to consider:
    - You will be aware of how theoretical knowledge learnt in the class is applied in real life applications. It helps you to grasp the concepts, build your understanding and relate them to the work you have already did. Imagine "Oh yes! I have done multi-variable control during my project" vs "Ok. This is multi-variable control. How is it really applied in industry?" Hope you get my point.
    - During your job, you will get yourself trained in many software/hardware, configuring drives, selecting instruments based on specifications, etc which is never taught in most of undergraduate or graduate colleges. After you complete your Masters, most companies still ask for your experience in specific software (which is crazy but true) as they need "ready to work" individuals.
    - In US, most companies wanting to hire Control Systems/Instrumentation engineers ask for 2 to 3 years of industry work experience even if you have a Masters degree. You might get some internship experience during your Masters but if you have a prior experience, things will be easy for finding jobs. If you are looking to find jobs in Singapore post Masters, is the situation different?
    - Working for few years just after your undergraduate degree helps you build communication, interpersonal, time management, documentation, client interaction, management skills. These skills can never be taught and I think its good to go into a graduate college with a matured business mindset. It helps in the long run.
    - I looked at some of the ECE@NUS for MS in ECE with specialization as Automation and Control. It looks a good course with focus on relevant subjects. Try interacting with seniors from NSU in Automation and Control and understand about the job search process and requirement in Singapore.
    - If you are an international student, what are points to keep in mind for finding jobs in Singapore? Do many companies sponsor for work? If yes, what do they want, is Masters degree enough or would 2-3 years of work give you a huge advantage?

I understand everyone has different priorities (family, financial, career) and one advice that suits someone might not suit a second person. Still, as life is unpredictable, taking a information and facts based decision has higher probability to prove helpful. All the best!
    Thanks for your time for this valuable reply. Even I was inclined to taking up the job, but an admit from NUS is not one gets so easily, so was a bit confused. Let me try to defer the admit if possible.
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    I am sure you will get better admits in future. Share your experience! And yes, welcome to CE 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Do share your findings with us. They might prove helpful for other students.

Especially answer to these questions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello guys, I am a fresher and have hardly any idea about CTC breakup terms. Can someone explain it to me in Layman's terms. Take this one for an example....
hello sir.. im a computer science student....can u give me some project ideas in Internet of Things..which will be useful to a society
Indian smartphone manufacturer Xolo has launched yet another flagship device called Xolo Cube 5.0 on Friday, just a month after the launch of the limited Liverpool FC edition Xolo One...
Micromax has announced 'Canvas Tabby' - a tablet specially for your kids. Priced at Rs. 6499, the tablet will be made available exclusively on Flipkart for a period of three...
Is there any programming language required in system and network administration?