Jet Airways Layoff 1900 employees as Jet & Kingfisher shake hands!

CEans,

I admit, I had expected layoffs at Jet & Kingfisher, but not to the extent of 1900 employees in single day and another about 1100 employees tomorrow. This, probably, is the worst layoff the in history of Indian Aviation Industry.

I don't get this business of layoffs! Why hire trainees in bulk if you can't see what's coming to you over the next 2-3 quarters? Now, where will these laid off employees go for the whole aviation industry is seeing the down time?

I'm concerned and worried. Are you?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: An interesting discussion on LinkedIn -

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    I really felt bad on hearing this news...since it increases un-employment and other hand how their families feels....

These companies doesn't even show concern towards their employees...who worked day and night to make it success.....

In LinkedIn...discussion a excellent statment was quoted.....
    If the decisions made by 100 decision-makers are to be blame for what happened/happening, why must the 12000-odd employees pay for it?

I feel if the set of 100 incompetent decision- makers are replaced, this company can be saved.
  • Differential
    Differential
    One interesting thing... ! Its said that they were laid off without notice ! I wonder what difference it could have made, had they been laid off with notice ???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Layoffs are always without notice. You come to office whistling your way and you are called in HR's room. There, they politely tell you that you are no longer with the company.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    There is no need to hyper react. Lay offs are a normal phenomenon else where. We Indians were not subjected to all this till now and hence all the reactions. I heard even Raj Thakarey, the MNS leader is getting into this. Its going to take a political turn and get very dirty.

PS: Airlines have been making losses since long time. Turbulence in the economy only adds to their wows. I'm with Jet on this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mayurpathak
    There is no need to hyper react. Lay offs are a normal phenomenon else where. We Indians were not subjected to all this till now and hence all the reactions. I heard even Raj Thakarey, the MNS leader is getting into this. Its going to take a political turn and get very dirty.

PS: Airlines have been making losses since long time. Turbulence in the economy only adds to their wows. I'm with Jet on this.
    Yo, perfectly normal, eh? :sshhh:

I'm not with Jet. Of course not. The management messed up and employees have to suffer.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Bah! Its normal buddy. All managements mess up.

PS: But would surely like to know what is the 'Mess Up' you are talking about here.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm talking about the general mess created by managers who operate from glass door cabins.

First of all, Jet was in losses for several months. They knew the petrol prices were skyrocketing. At the same time, the number of passengers was also growing! [Indian aviation saw 33% growth in the number of air-passengers couple of months ago!]

So, Jet managers thought: "The number of passengers is growing, so we'll expand our business."

I believe they must have purchased more planes [correct me if this is not true], hired lots of people with sky-high salaries, opened more offices (maybe) and what not.

Why I think jet management messed up is because, if they were expanding, they should have worked their exit, backup plan [which is not "Laying off employees"] in case things went wrong.

Jet Management ignored Murphy's law. That's their mistake.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    The_Big_K
    I'm talking about the general mess created by managers who operate from glass door cabins.

First of all, Jet was in losses for several months. They knew the petrol prices were skyrocketing. At the same time, the number of passengers was also growing! [Indian aviation saw 33% growth in the number of air-passengers couple of months ago!]

So, Jet managers thought: "The number of passengers is growing, so we'll expand our business."

I believe they must have purchased more planes [correct me if this is not true], hired lots of people with sky-high salaries, opened more offices (maybe) and what not.

Why I think jet management messed up is because, if they were expanding, they should have worked their exit, backup plan [which is not "Laying off employees"] in case things went wrong.

Jet Management ignored Murphy's law. That's their mistake.
    😀
    Only if the world was so easy to manage. But I'm sympathetic to you and also to the laid-off employees of Jet. Their problem is, since the entire aviation industry is struggling, they will find it difficult to find extremely high paying jobs.

PS: Jet hasn't expanded their fleet and didn't open new offices for sure. May be they have hired more people than they needed (one more assumption) and are struggling to keep them. Two things that worked against Jet were turbulence in the International Aviation space (where they are new) and the failed Air Sahara deal.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well well!

Jet has announced that they have accepted all the employees back! Now, that's what I call "management mess!". Mr. Naresh Goyal said he was completely unaware of the layoffs! Man! You want us to believe that?

If they can run the company without layoffs, why the heck were employees laid off in the first place?

Agree or not - its all the management's fault!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    😀

dont tell me Balthakra effect!!!!
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Naresh Goyal is not mad. Its more to do with the political pressure. Don't believe he was unaware of the lay offs.

PS: Look around your work place. You will always find employees which are redundant (sometimes including you.) Ask yourself what will happen if you decide to stop working from tomorrow. It will be then easier to comment on the lay off thing.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Mayur,

I understand...

on 16 I have seen the news of Balthakre's statements... and 17 we have a news Jet has taken employees back...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

7 3 8 8 1 0 2 7 4 4 4 5 2 6 5 (Figure 1)Figure 1 shows a number triangle. Write a program that calculates the highest sum...
0x80000000 (-2147483648) represents minimum value for signed integers for 32-bit machines.
Guys! This is me Who Am I:- Prakash Occupation:- Technical Consultant & Java Programmer Can Drive Car: No Can ride a bike : Yes Addictions : * Coding : Ya...
hi i viswa...
hi this is viswa.....