Jaguar Land Rover Cars Will Detect Potholes And Adjust Suspension Automatically

Tata Motors owned Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is in the process of developing a new technology that will make your ride smoother even on bumpy roads. Aptly named 'Pothole Alert', the technology allows the cars to continuously scan the road ahead for potholes and general imperfections. It quickly notifies the driver about it and if the driver does not take any action, it deploys a set of magnetic dumpers to prepare the suspensions for serious jolts.

Potholes can cause serious damage to the wheels, suspensions or the car moving at a high speed. The core idea behind the project is to allow the drivers to have enough time to take action like slowing down or steer the car away to avoid the pothole.

JLR-Pothole-Alert

Dr. Mike Bell of JLR said that the new technology equips the Range Rover Evoque and Discovery sport vehicles with sophisticated sensors that continuously profile the road to identify potholes, raised manholes and broken drain covers. The system smartly adjusts the height of car's suspension and its characteristics to make the ride smooth and more comfortable for the passengers.

The pothole alert system logs all the data and stores it in the cloud. It's also capable of sharing it with other drivers and warn them of the imperfections on the road. The data can also be shared with local officials in charge of road maintenance.

We'd love to see JLR teaming up with the 'The Tweeting Pothole - Sends Tweets From Pothole When Cars Run Over' to come up with an innovative solution to tackle the problem of potholes. Do let us know your thoughts.

Source: Jaguar introduces 'invisible' window pillar technology | Driving

Replies

• msuresh444
    msuresh444
    I heard Rolls Royce cars have this type of technology. The suspension adjusts itself. They claim even if the car runs at 100kmph into a bump, the water/wine in the passenger's hand will not spill!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    msuresh444
    I heard Rolls Royce cars have this type of technology. The suspension adjusts itself. They claim even if the car runs at 100kmph into a bump, the water/wine in the passenger's hand will not spill!
    Yep! I think the only difference is that the JLR technology scans the road and prepares itself before it encounters the bump. The RR I think adjusts on the fly.
  • msuresh444
    msuresh444
    Even RR scans the surroundings and nearby cars/obstructions thru radar tech mounted in the radiator grill of the car. Basically RR is way too high tech! 😛 1-1.5 Ton car touching 100kmph in 3-4 sec is just awesome.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

An ancient form of metalworking is being used to create turbine blades for jet engines. Casting is one of the oldest and most basic methods of metalworking. If you can...
Chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd., Mr. Mukesh Ambani has confirmed that Reliance Jio will launch their 4G services in India by December this year. Ambani was speaking at the annual...
Struts help on dropdown list html😲ptionCollection. In detail i want to persist the selected value and set this as selected value after refresing the page. For more explanation. Please check...
Researchers at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) have come up with a novel method of making soft composite materials with reconfigurable surface textures that can be impeccably smooth, ridged or...
By analyzing the observations from the NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory (CXO), formerly known as Advanced X-ray Astrophysics Facility (AXAF), astronomers have discovered black hole eruptions by examining the group of...