It's Tux3 versus Ext4 !

Tux3 is an Opensource file system which has been developed by Daniel Phillips which is still "Under-development" project.However, latest updates by developers brings some exciting features of Tux3 which likely to give the major competition to Ext4 File systems.

The benchmark result seems to be outnumbering the Ext4 in it's first trial benchmark test.Tux3 uses less CPU & finishes the process faster,It even spends pretty less time on waiting than Ext4.Just to mention again,Tux3 is still under-development & many bits are still to be fixed which are unprepared.

More details can be obtained from official link : Linux-Kernel Archive: Tux3 report: New news for the new year

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    ext4
    time cpu wait
    46.338, 1.244, 5.096
    49.101, 1.144, 5.896
    49.838, 1.152, 5.776

tux3

time cpu wait
    46.684, 0.592, 1.860
    44.011, 0.684, 1.764
    43.773, 0.556, 1.888
    Looks like almost 3 times faster than ext4. great improvement.👍
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update : Tux3 File-System is even faster than tmpfs as per latest benchmarking result.The reason given by Daniel Phillips for Tux3 being able to outperform tmpfs is that Tux3 back-end/front-end design can work atop CPUs & when some task is offloaded a-sync for dbench task, the result comes out to be positive.

For more details read this LKML : Linux-Kernel Archive: Tux3 Report: Faster than tmpfs, what?

However, sad thing is Tux-3 File-system still hasn't been proposed for inclusion in mainline Linux Kernel.Atleast we are not going to see inclusion of Tux3 in Next Kernel Update i.e. Linux Kernel 3.10
    Maybe sometime soon ?

What's your take CEans ? Do you think Tux3 will replace the current FS of Linux i.e. ext4 ?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    It should, provided it is stable after completion of development phase. If it is faster, which it is, then I guess it should be used.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update:
    Tux3 BTree based FS still isn't included in mainline Linux Kernel.However, Tux3 team is concentrating in adding new features to this File-system which has outperformed Ext4 in the initial benchmarking.

More details by lead developer Daniel Phillips has been published about Data compression in the mail listing.The latest update claims that, Tux3 is aiming for transparent data compression on complete file-system & per file-levels.
    Read in detail : Design note: Data compression (draft)

Tux3 is constantly being developed & new features are added. But still it's not stable FS for Linux.Hence, there is no hope that it will be merged in Linux mainline Kernel in next update of Linux Kernel 3.11
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update:
    The linked PDF includes overview on Tux3 FS which was submitted in LinuxCon 2013. It covers every features of Tux3.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And another update :
    It's been five years of Tux3 development, and still it is not mainlined in Linux kernel. Well, you have to wait some more time since there are still some extraordinary bugs which is pushing back the stable release. Check detailed information in Linux-Kernel Archive: Tux3 Report: Our blocker list
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Finally! Good news. It's been reported by Phoronix that Tux3 is likely to be merged into Linux Kernel in a week or two. Let's wait for merge proposal. I am keen to test this FS 👍
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update :
    Tux3 was harshly criticized by XFS developer Dave Chinner Over its Code Quality. It's been said, Tux3 even after 6 years of development is at the stage where Btrfs was 5 years ago. So, Tux3 still have long way to go.

Read mailing list : Linux-Kernel Archive: Re: [RFC] Tux3 for review

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Let's understand the difference between paste and paste as plain text options available when editing documents on Word, Google Docs, Email clients etc.
can you suggest some new technologies in ece to give technical seminar please?
pn sequence is the random noise like sequence used as codes in CDMA.....how exactly are these sequences generated??i mean is there any single method??
can u suggest me the best book for electrical circuit analysis.....so.i want to be more perfect in this subject
At the consumer electronics show 2013, the consumer electronics giants are showcasing their innovations. Sharp has just announced the Android & iOS second screen support to the Aquos TVs. This...