IT Professionals - What's your advice to fresh graduates, looking to join IT?

Let's collect all the thoughts, opinions and advices from engineers who've been working in IT Industry (it doesn't matter how long you've been working ; be it 2 months or 20+ years) for those fresh graduates who've secured a job in IT industry. I've observed that many fresh graduates are totally new to the field of IT and have never been exposed to the the IT world. I'm sure all of them will benefit from your experiences.

Your advice may touch upon the following points-
  1. What do you think fresh grads should know about IT before they join?
  2. What kind of expectations they should have from the job?
  3. Should they join IT or study for post-graduation? Is it possible to prepare for PG, when working in IT?
  4. What kind of preparation they should do before joining the job? and so on.
I'm not tagging anyone, but hope that our CEans will come forward and share their experiences and advices with all the fresh ones ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let's collect all the thoughts, opinions and advices from engineers who've been working in IT Industry (it doesn't matter how long you've been working ; be it 2 months or 20+ years) for those fresh graduates who've secured a job in IT industry. I've observed that many fresh graduates are totally new to the field of IT and have never been exposed to the the IT world. I'm sure all of them will benefit from your experiences.

Your advice may touch upon the following points-
    1. What do you think fresh grads should know about IT before they join?
    2. What kind of expectations they should have from the job?
    3. Should they join IT or study for post-graduation? Is it possible to prepare for PG, when working in IT?
    4. What kind of preparation they should do before joining the job? and so on.
    I'm not tagging anyone, but hope that our CEans will come forward and share their experiences and advices with all the fresh ones ๐Ÿ˜€ .
    I think fresh grads should be atleast clear with the fundamentals of programming. They should be ready to work with new technologies, and should have better communication skills.
    Going for PG and joining IT are two different goals, they must choose one of these
    and concentrate on it.
    Lets see what other fellows have got to add ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I would advice

"Always try to find problem first before trying to find solution"

Once problem is clear, solution will eventually come
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Most job-aspirants looking to work in a IT job at a MNC, should know that there will be long "bench" periods. Those coming in with a lot of enthusiasm will have to really work hard to keep up with it, as bench periods can be really demeaning and discouraging. Freshers in IT should be prepared to learn new technologies on their own. Bench can be frustrating for some, while it can be really a time full of enjoyment for others. If fresh graduates learn to make the most out of the bench period, they will be do better than most when the right time for project comes. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    First of all the young grads should know that the pool of engineers is increasing day by day hence there's intense competition in the walk-ins and open campus organised by the company. hence one should be prepared with C/C++ , Aptititude, Reasoning ,English (As these sections are asked in written exam to shortlist the number of appearing candidates)

Secondly every engineer has a lot of expectation about the profile which he'll work on (say Developer, programmer) but that not the case always. as very few company prefer to put fresh grads in developing domain , instead they first assign them some technical support jobs to gain in-depth knowledge of the project, which causes disappointment. Hence do not make a lot of expectations in advance. Just be prepared with basics. you'll definitely get in and will work your dream profile.
  • Igneta D'Souza
    Igneta D'Souza
    I have seen freshers who are new to IT world get depressed or panic when they cannot complete a task or have no idea how to do it.
    If you are fresher, new things always keep coming your way. Accept it as a challenge. Explore, investigate and learn. Approach your senior colleagues .Do not hesitate to ask questions, clarify each and every doubt.
    Remember nobody in world knows everything.
    Be Sincere and Be Professional.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Now for example lets take light bulbs. now how many hands does a batch of light bulbs change, when it is brought to the local electrical shops, from the manufacturer...
what are the steps to get patent for a new idea? How to make our ideas worthy?
In India (four handed) Krishna was the cow herd. In Australia a four wheeled robot 'Rover' seems to handle the job quite well. No flute though. Quote: A four-wheeled device,...
Great (Robert) Scott, what are these two up to? Lonely trek in Antarctica without any external physical support, Saunders and his companion Tarka L'Herpiniere are in the middle of a...
Not too sure if I would try this out. Thinking again, I might. I did have fun with my grand daughter on her birthday this August on the usual bouncy...