ISRO Mangalyaan Will Have 15 Day Blackout Period

The ambitious, yet low-cost Mangalyaan (aka the ISRO Mars Orbiter) project will undergo a blackout phase from tomorrow (8 June) till 22nd June. During this period, there will be absolutely no communication between the satellite and ISRO ground control center. Mangalyaan will be on its own during this time as the Sun will eclipse the distant red planet which will block all the radio communication.

The Mangalyaan will be put on the autonomous mode during the period. It will be able to take its own decisions, informed a senior ISRO official to PTI. It's the first blackout lasting several days since 24th September 2014 when the satellite began orbiting Mars. ISRO is confident about regaining total control of the Mangalyaan once the total blackout phase is over. The scenario has been tested before, informed the officials.

mangalyaan-isro-blackout

It was further informed that the Mangalyaan has already been configured to handle the upcoming no communication phase. ISRO is not sending any special commands to the satellite. Few of the important signals are being sent for about 2-3 hours till 8th June.

The Mangalyaan will encounter similar situation in the month of May 2016, if the mission is extended. The Mangalyaan continues to be an important ISRO mission, also India's first ever interplanetary mission. The success of the Mangalyaan mission put India into the elite club of only 4 countries that have reached to the Mars.

The mission was earlier planned to last for only 6 months; but was extended by another 6 months because of the availability of the fuel. As of writing this article, Mangalyaan has already spent 8 months and 14 days around Mars.

Source: Mangalyaan mission to enter 15-day blackout phase tomorrow - The Economic Times

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Sir, I have done B.E in EXTC and I'm doing M.E in Electronics along with this I'm also doing a software development course .. however I have opted for...
The world of thermometers is being rapidly researched on and there are scientists dedicatedly working on bettering the technology. In line with that, a team from University of Nottingham collaborated...
In near future, aircrafts will be equipped with wings that are capable of repairing themselves after getting damaged or developing cracks. A team of British researchers from the University of...
A rectangle having 125x75 mm side inscribed with two parabolas in it with axis right angle to each other.How to Draw It.??? help
I am new here so just want to say hello