Is Wikipedia Reliable?

Ultimately, it's a user created content that gets edited for errors and facts by people. I've seen a general trend that anything written on Wikipedia is taken as a 'fact'. Out of curiosity, I wish to know whether anyone's ever found any error on Wikipedia article?

Replies

• soni.sapan
    soni.sapan
    I didnt found errors but whenever I tried to wikiout some engineering stuff its very difficult to understand that stuff from wik thats why I always prefer some other site for engg/science stuff like engineersgarage & HSW
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    To an extent to get glimpses of info directly with out having to go through several links is Wiki

Other than that the reliability of the info got is also tested there so there is nearly a slight margin for errors.

But still to err is human so we must be in a position to adapt to some minor glitches here and there.

But still their data acquiring policy makes sure that the quality of inputs is really high that makes it to have no competition.
  • er.prit
    er.prit
    Wikipedia is reliable for collecting glimpse of any topic, any information. but for getting much information and into the depth of that topic we must go for some other sites.
  • ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    I'm also a contributor to wikipedia. No Contributor likes to add false information to the Articles. Moreover, most of the Articles are followed by moderators, and other contributors of that article. So, frequently they watch the respective pages. The moderator/contributor gets to know changes in popular pages in sections of wikipedia, where in the information added in a particular page is discussed for accuracy. Many, perhaps almost all information in a wikipedia article needs citation.

So, IMO, Wikipedia is accurate, at least more than any other user-edited encyclopedia. You can hardly find anything wrong about a technical topic there. If you like Wikipedia, then Contribute and Donate. It's Ads Free and Independent.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    In my view Wikipedia is a great source for, like you all are saying, quick glimpses of information.
    In my view, it is like any other source of information off the internet---it is subject to verification by other sites and books.
    Unless the website you are using is constantly revised and has received validation and verification by scholars and professionals do not use it as your sole source of information. Sometimes you must use your instinct.
    Due to the doubts people have about wiki it is not advisable to use it as a reference in your research papers.
    I always say, and I may be old school, the internet is wonderful for grabbing information but if you can find a good book on the subject its way better.
    I like Forums like CE where you can post a topical question and get people's views. Our own CEans do the verification for us and I can say that I have full confidence in many of you here

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

name-suggan chauhan trade-mechanical hobbies-reading automobile and internal combustion engine books life aim-to become a good automobile engineer
name-suggan chauhan trade-mechanical engineer hobbies-reading automobile and internal combustion engine books life aim-to become a good engineer
We all know about ludicrous failure of HP TouchPad which was running on webOS(LG acquired it & planning to use it SMART TV only). Seems like Hewlett-Packard has learnt the...
BumbleBee is a tool which brings Nvidia Optimus GPU switching to Linux. What is Nvidia Optimus GPU Switching ? This is the new technology switches between two graphics adapter i.e....
i want clear circuit diagram which should give the output