Is there anything you miss from old CrazyEngineers?
We're almost done bringing major features from the old CrazyEngineers to new site. The only thing we'll now be working on bringing is the private messaging feature.
I'm curious to know if there's anything that you miss from the old site?
I think we should also have subcategories section so user can sub categorize a particular post if it is related to computer science, electrical or which section.
@Manish - We intend to keep the discussions super simple. After brainstorming internally; and even @Harshad suggested that we'd rather build a new app called 'Groups'. There could be topic specific groups which will be joined by those who're interested in that topic.
I think groups will make it way more straightforward; and it can go beyond simple discussions (Hint: real-time chats).
Most of the users of CE Discussions have had trouble categorising the content at the time of creation.
Previously there was an option to report Spam.
Occasionally I see some of it in the new avatar of CE also. Should a reporting option be put in again?
For example the post from Jonathan here:
Yes, I think report spam feature can be brought back. Noting it down.
1. Enriched User Profile (Especially where I can track my activity - you can change data retention period to 6-7 months)
2. Select & Quote feature was exceptionally good.
3. Search functionality. (Could see in version 1.2.5 but unable to find it in GUI)
5. Comment section in News.
6. Enriched privacy settings.
I apologize if I am being too critical.
adding to @Abhishek ,
I feel that user forums should have more information in window rather than flat feed like social media. In social media we generally go to pass our time by just scrolling here and there without much of hassle. Whereas, in knowledge base forums we dig in threads looking for information and we need to create own content.
- When I am browsing a thread, I expect to see more information in window. with big font and big white spaces, I see way less information. In a topic list I see only 5 threads on 1600x900 resolution. I expect to see at least 15-20 thread. I can quickly glance what are threads and come back.
- In a forum, I would like to keep browsing for related information. When I reach at end of thread and when I have nothing to add. I am blank, I would like to see more related threads.
- I have already reported earlier, left and right columns are completely blank after 2 post down.
- No search tool - I would like to search for all, topic , and thread searches separately.
@Anoop - You don't have to apologise. You're helping CE improve and that's what we all want.
1. Search is coming. We already have the backend ready and ensuring that we've good search results being returned. We're using ElasticSearch to power searches; which allows us to tweak the search results. We are currently testing this. Expect the search feature to go live by this weekend.
2. The top visited page on the old CE was 'Whats New?' which would list the latest updated discussions. That's the reason we decided to create a 'feed-like' Latest Discussions page.
I think we can work on shrinking the layout vertically. We need more feedback on how to go about this.
3. We could sticky up the sidebar; which is our decision pending as of now. We are also evaluating a wider layout which eliminates the left sidebar. We should be able to put up a demo of it for feedback soon.
4. Related discussions are also being worked on; be were kept on hold to make way for search feature as priority. Related discussions are coming soon.
Select and quote feature is also good feature that I miss. We did not include it in the new CE because it was often misused (people ended up quoting entire article just to write 'thank you' below it). I think we can now improve it and make it available only to those with certain number of posts.
One thing I notice is that when one is replying to a discussion sometimes one has to paste some material. The screen shifts and goes to the top. One has to scroll down back to continue. In the old version till one actually clicks the post button the screen remained on the reply.
In long discussions the present behaviour is distracting .
@Ramani sir - that's a strange behaviour for sure. Could you let me know if this happens on Desktop computer or tablet?
I'm guessing that this happens when pasting material that's multiple paragraphs long. Because the editor adjusts itself to accommodate the entire text and that's why it moves. Should be an easy fix.
Only logged in users can reply.