Is someone stealing My Wifi (WPA2-PSK Secured)

Hello,

I am in a little doubt, actually I read somewhere, that when the data packets are transferred with the server and your computer, then actually the ADSL and Ethernet Lights blinks.

And when they are blinking fast, means that high amount of data is being transferred.

So, I was just working and noticed, that with only my laptop connected at a certain time, the lights were blinking at very very fast rate but the fact is I was downloading nothing, and no video or audio streaming was going on.

I was just browsing some websites, and generally I see that lights blinking so fast, when I'm downloading some big data, which means continuously my machine is transferring packets.

Now thing is that, Is my WI-FI hacked?
If yes, then beside of WPA2 encryption (which is difficult to break than WEP (Which can be easily done through BackTrack OS) ), how could someone get that?

I would also like to mention, that No one has physical access to my machine, and I don't download suspicious files, which may contain a keylogger or something..

Then how is this happening.?

I have changed my password of course, but it's not working, often , it starts blinking for long time, and at very fast rate.

What Can I do to secure myself and if possible catch the damn culprit.

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    There is nothing related to blinking of light and amount of data transferred. It means good signal. Thats it. You can always know how many clients are connected in your network by using one command.

Open cmd
    type arp -a

It will show a list of IPs on same network. That should help. Also it also shows mac address. Now more than one mac address means u are in trouble. Only one mac, means ur own pc. so its cool
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Nayan Goenka
    There is nothing related to blinking of light and amount of data transferred. It means good signal. Thats it. You can always know how many clients are connected in your network by using one command.

Open cmd
    type arp -a

It will show a list of IPs on same network. That should help. Also it also shows mac address. Now more than one mac address means u are in trouble. Only one mac, means ur own pc. so its cool

What exactly this list of IP is, I mean, which IP adresses are there, I typed that, and got 9 of them, I think that one is external and Others are internal one.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    and I'm sure, I read it somewhere, that the speed of blinking is related to the amounts of packet transferred over the network..

I don't remember the source now, but I'm sure, I read it somewhere.. 😕

I'm confused..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    if you are the only one using the connection, set up the allowed mac addresses as required on your wifi router.. That should do it. any unauthorised MAC will not be able to use your wifi sessions. Also, enable security settings on your wifi router ad make sure you dont have WEP, it should be WPA /WPA PSK/WPA2
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    durga
    if you are the only one using the connection, set up the allowed mac addresses as required on your wifi router.. That should do it. any unauthorised MAC will not be able to use your wifi sessions. Also, enable security settings on your wifi router ad make sure you dont have WEP, it should be WPA /WPA PSK/WPA2
    Could you tell me, how can I set up the MAC address?

@#-Link-Snipped-#
    Please reply to me...

I seriously want to find the reason to this..

And get ensure about security of my wifi..
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    And I have WPA encryption only....

PS: Pinging up this thread to get more replies....

Please help...

I want to ensure the safety of my wifi...😐
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    what is your device make and model?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    durga
    what is your device make and model?
    I don't have just one Modem cum Router device, but I have two of them ...

I'm using D-Link Modem (DSL 502 T) and Router - l iball 150m Extreme Wireless -n Router ..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I have not got a chance to configure the wireless router (i-ball router) , but if you login to your router, under the wireless settings - you should normally find mac filter setting. You can add your computer mac address and then set the rule to enable. That should allow traffic to your computer. You can enable filtering for as many devices are you want.

If you are still unsure or doubtful about rigging the settings - you can ask your ISP to do the settings for you.

Below is a snapshot from my wireless device:
    Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 12.03.16 AM
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here are few things you can do
    • Check the security log/firewall of your router, see if any unusual ip is being used
    • manually set ip in all your devices, then only these ip should be logged in log.
    • Disable broadcasting SSID.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thanks, Doing all this stuff.

And would tell you, if there's something wrong.

Thanks a lot for your help..!!
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    Have a WPA password of around 12 characters. Hence very rare possibility to get hacked. Disabling SSID broadcast and MAC filtering may act as a deterrent and may not help if someone wants to really after you 😀
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    My way of having secure password,
    I don't have to remember the Password even if I try too ☕

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

BMW has revealed its futuristic Concept car named X5 eDRIVE before the Frankfurt Autoshow.BMW has not clearly explained the possibility of the concept to become real but we can get...
Kia- Dare to ride this futuristic Niro compact crossover: I was amused to see the name”Kia”while I was surfing over the auto news and the news didn’t disappoint me instead...
India made NissanMicra 2014 hits 32 European market is the red hot news that makes us think about the victory of Nissan in European markets.Its not finished, It also signals...
Is there any free software to design a prototype of a business desktop application/software????
I am buying a laptop. I have finalized on HP pavillion. SPECIFICATIONS OF HP PAVILION 15-E034TX LAPTOP (3RD GEN CI5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB GRAPH) (SILVER & BLACK) https://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion...graph/p/itmdn4emgkyyfhza?pid=COMDN4EK4EBMVB3A Flipkart...