Is Recession Hitting Indian It Industry?

IT recession seems to be hitting the Indian IT industry. Times of India has been giving mixed news about the state of Indian IT and how it's being affected by the recession. First, there was news that the Indian software companies are hiring at a faster pace than ever before and recruiting hundreds and thousands of engineers directly from campuses. Then there'd be a news that says companies like Infosys are making employees work on weekend (Source: #-Link-Snipped-#) to meet the revenue targets. Companies like Wipro and Cognizant are making people work extra hours to complete the projects within time.

I believe this reporting is creating confusion. I'd like to ask people who're working in the Indian IT industry to share their thoughts about recession hitting Indian IT.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Recession is hitting indian IT market news seems little true as initially one of our sister company getting 44 projects in queue but the frequency of new projects and client is decreased.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like the folks from IT industry are too busy to respond. Could just be a sign of recession hitting ๐Ÿ˜‰ . The value of Rupee against dollar is going down the drain; which might just be an incredibly good thing for the Indian IT industry. Why? Because they get paid in dollars and the expenses (viz. employee salary) is made in Indian rupees. Since the salaries are matched with the Industry standard every year; the companies can enjoy larger profit margins for the entire year. I however do not know how'd the companies will continue to sustain in the growing inflation. It's true that the companies are finding it harder to get new projects. I only hope that the recession does not hit the ones who have just joined the industry. I'd ideally like to see the recession hitting the top management in IT companies; if it must. The managers, everyone will agree, are paid more than what they contribute to the company.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    As the indian rupees is decreasing is very bad sign for Embedded Companies as they have to order components in USD. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    godfather
    As the indian rupees is decreasing is very bad sign for Embedded Companies as they have to order components in USD. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Yeah indeed. The export & import industries are affected. The declining value of rupee is always going to be a 'problem' for the economy as a whole.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    TOI's confused news paper. They've been publishing news only to create sensation. Take a look at recent example: #-Link-Snipped-#

The article says that the IT industry will create 250,000 jobs in 2012. Then there is a news that IT companies are asking employees to work for longer hours to meet the growing client demands & crunched budget in the unstable economy. What's the 'real' news? Does anyone know?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    The_Big_K
    TOI's confused news paper. They've been publishing news only to create sensation. Take a look at recent example: #-Link-Snipped-#

The article says that the IT industry will create 250,000 jobs in 2012. Then there is a news that IT companies are asking employees to work for longer hours to meet the growing client demands & crunched budget in the unstable economy. What's the 'real' news? Does anyone know?
    Don't know why such a big and leading newspaper creating such confusions. ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Yes that's very true. Recession started again. No Vacancies at all and No call letters yet. But they are saying Recession can not reach India ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sada
    Yes that's very true. Recession started again. No Vacancies at all and No call letters yet. But they are saying Recession can not reach India ๐Ÿ˜”
    But it isn't true at least for Indian IT story
    They could surely face delayed payments but no recession since they work on support systems of various existing products.
    They have bagged orders to fulfill and maintain for next 10 years and are at least 75-80% utilization of bench strength
    Unless there is bankruptcy or close down at a top client side it is difficult to effect them

Top Clients of all indian IT cos are relatively stable to my knowledge
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    IT companies are just trying to keep the shareholders happy. Let's pray that recession does not hit India. In my opinion; recession is just a thought in mind.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Big_K
    IT companies are just trying to keep the shareholders happy. Let's pray that recession does not hit India.
    This is very true.

Between, just to say Government is in full hiring spree now; in lots of areas!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It's my final year project and just finished a simple server / client program that sends messages and receive them ,,,, Now the Dr. said that the next time he...
Microsoft has just released the Sky Drive app for Apple iOS and Windows phone platforms. The cloud storage service from Microsoft will now be accessbile through your iPhone. Surprisingly, the...
Nokia entered the Dual SIM phone market with its X1-01 and C2-03 models several months ago. Mobile phones with two GSM or GSM+CDMA sims have been quite popular among consumers....
Kaspersky anti virus has pulled in ace Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar to promote the antivirus software brand Kaspersky. While I'm a big fan of Avast antivirus because it's free and...
Three gods A , B , and C are called, in some order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly...