Is one Trillionth of a second fast enough for a switch?

US Department of Energy researchers at the SLAC lab have set a new record for switching speed.
Quote:
Scientists using SLAC's Linac Coherent Light Source (LCLS) X-ray laser found that it takes only 1 trillionth of a second to flip the on-off electrical switch in samples of magnetite, which is thousands of times faster than in transistors now in use. The results were published July 28 in Nature Materials.
Endquote

More here:
Speed limit set for ultrafast electrical switch

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Foot - in - mouth disease, endemic to Indians. The other in the grave I guess.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    Foot - in - mouth disease, endemic to Indians. The other in the grave I guess.
    No worries. Happens to VoiCE authors regularly. 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey #-Link-Snipped-# We have our first sight of the 1THz processor mate

IF a switch is that fast in the initial level the rate of processing can further go into the Sub nano sec barrier in the next few years
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    #-Link-Snipped-# It's not related to 1THz clock frequency of processor. The transistor switching is increased, so there is improvement in speed, but 1 THz still not possible, trust that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

During a demo, Kirobo said it "hoped to create a future where humans and robots live together and get along". https://news.yahoo.com/kirobo-talking-robot-blasts-space-historic-mission-094702571.html
Quote: French architect Jacques Rougerie and a group of engineers have teamed up to create what's being called the "ultimate" undersea exploration vehicle. Like an iceberg, a large section of...
This article from American Sensors gives the basics of how differential pressure sensors can be used to monitor liquid levels in both vented and sealed tanks. Precautions to be observed...
What is a directory in linux and what is parent directory? Are they folders or files? Also what are pathnames in linux. I really can't get these things in my...
Amazon has been expanding enormously off late expanding its business to various parts of the world and launching new marketplaces. Well, here is one more marketplace named 'Amazon Art' which...