Is learning designing software necessary for mechanical engineers?

Is learning designing software necessary foe a mechanical engineer ?

Replies

• nandansrm
    nandansrm
    Its all up to the person and the area he takes interest. But drawing is the power of a mechanical engineer and only the way to express ideas. So one may learn or may not but the thing is that " HE SHOULD BE CLEAR OF ENGINEERING DRAWING"
  • roon.mech
    roon.mech
    In the mechanical design field it would be useful but not essential to add a couple of modelling packages under your belt. this will help you visualize your design as well as to perform a quick and dirty analysis if necessary depending upon the software you specialize in.
  • Saugata
    Saugata
    If U r interested in the designing field, learning a high end designing software like Catia or Pro-E will be of great advantage to express your ideas. And if U want to spend ur life in workshops, then it is a waste of money. Just keep ur engg drawing basics clear.
  • sunnysharn
    sunnysharn
    No it is not necessary to learn a software!!! But one must have basic knowledge about some designing software as AutoCad that is must!!! N if you are in some automobile firm unless you are in some kind of design department your basic ED skills will be enough!!!
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    If you are recruited by a design-based company, then they'll impart all the necessary skills during their training. Or if you want to beef up your resume early-on, you may start learning these courses during third year itself, but only if you see a future in designing. I completed my Mechanical engineering without such courses, and I ended up just fine! 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In my opinion it is useful but not necessary. Quick sketching with a paper and pencil is enough most of the times. As an engineer three dimensional visualization is a necessary skill that becomes almost automatic.
    There is a story told about Madras Sappers in Africa during WW II. They were told to make drawings for a bridge across a river for establish a supply route and were asked to produce the necessary drawings in two days.
    After two days an irate commander told off the Sappers lot for not having the drawings ready. The chief told him,'Sir, the bridge is ready for use. The drawings will take a couple of more days'.
    At the same theatre the same Sappers had to build a bridge across a deep stream used for water transport. They came up with a sinking section in the middle that would go under water to allow the boats to float over them. It played havoc with corrosion of the section. This was no great matter as the bridge was needed only for a short time.
    What is needed is the ingenuity of engineering. The tools are useful but they are tools, as is software.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    NOT At all,
    Designing using softwares is not necessary. While saying this I am counting that you are not under illusion that every one on this thread here is saying NO for SOFTWARE design only. Mechanical design, 3D imagination and drawing and reading them from a piece of paper is must for a mechanical engineer.

-CB
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    according to today's scenario of the job market, knowledge of Design softwares are necessary. you need to know atleast three softwares,that is autocadd (2d modeling) , pro-engineer (3d modeling) and ansys (analysis).

Pro-e was used extensively in the company where i did my internship, last summer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a graduate engineer from Africa who is willing to work with everyone in or out of this field to better the world.I am in a few projects involving...
hai friends, I don't know how to converse with you friends.please help me...
Can anyone here can help me in building or giving me ideas for project for marine engineerin related to ships machinery...
My name is vinod, i like to work in discovery network(channel) very much, means for working in the channel not only for getting job, because i like this channel since...
im a final yr IT student...im in need of some intresting ideas for project in java...or even about android..