Is it safe to consume genetically modified food?

The united states was the first into the market to sell its first genetically engineered food product'tomatoes' in the market in 1994.

Genetically modified foods are food whose genetic materials of it has been modified in order to improve yield, resist plant diseases etc... by introducing a gene from a different organsim.

It also aimed at improving the nutrient content in the food.

Even though it shows to be an positive shape in the field of agriculture, there are many people who stand against the genetically modified foods. The major reason I found through google is " unknown dangers to human health". If this technology can improve the nutrient content in the food , then how this will cause danger to human health?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Do we know the genetic make up of all that we eat now? The issue with GM foods is that they interfere with existing known grown foods. The crossing of the normal with GM strains can cause unforeseen and undesirable changes.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    The idea that human body only needs nutrients seems far fetched for me simply because if that were the case, people would be surviving on capsules containing the essential nutrients and they would no longer be eating food. Since this hasn't happened so far, I don't see how replacing those capsules with GM food is any different.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I don't see how replacing those capsules with GM food is any different.
    It is semantic. Food is nutrition. what comes in capsules are micronutrients. GM food is just food.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Facebook has today launched an update to the Facebook Messenger app on Android and iOS. Sporting a new and refreshed look and a new app icon, the Facebook Messenger update...
A new app developed by Dr. Kalpana Viswanath and Mr. Anurag Basu from India called SafetiPin lets you find and record information about safety in your surrounding contributed by the...
The line between Science Fiction and science fact is blurring. Quote: Science fiction books, novels and television have, for years, invented technology for the purposes of plot. But fact is...
Here is a normal plane touching down almost vertically down on a ship. Even when one realizes that small planes have low stall velocities, it is landing against a wind...
Hey there, I appreciate any help I get on this. I'm in my final year, ECE. My term might be getting extended for credit completion reasons by a semester. I'll...