Is it safe to answer calls when mobile phone is charging?

Reading the news that a 23-year old woman from China died while answering a call on her iPhone when the mobile phone was charging. The victim's sister says that the victim got electrocuted when using the iPhone when it was charging. Makes me wonder if it's possible to get electrocuted if you're using a mobile phone when it's charging?

I'm initiating this discussion to figure out whether it's technically possible to get shock from the device? First, and the most obvious thing that comes to mind is that the adapter developed a short-circuit when the person was answering call and at the same time, the electrical shielding of the phone was faulty which caused the current to directly flow through the victim's body.

Now, as far as I've seen with most of the mobiles - the body of the device is properly separated from the rest of the electronics. I'm not sure about the iPhone though. Secondly, the operating voltage of these devices is very small to give a human any shock.

What do you think would have caused in the case of the victim who died? Apple is said to be investigating the cause; but I doubt the company's to be blamed. Finally - is it safe to use mobile phones to answer calls when it's charging?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't think answering call while charging kills the person. [You've already mentioned the technical reasons]

But I would like to say on regard of this -->
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Secondly, the operating voltage of these devices is very small to give a human any shock.
    "It's not volts that kills you, It's the Amperes" 👍
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ... and the current comes only when there's a potential difference, which is measured in Volts.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ... and the current comes only when there's a potential difference, which is measured in Volts.
    I mean both have impact on human body, it's not that human body is immune to volts.
    This will explain you everything : Amps vs. Volts | Dave Dribin’s Blog 😁

back to topic, I simply mean that low operating voltage of mobile can't kill you.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Charger Output is under 10V That is not enough power to kill a fully grown human with this voltage

Human body breaks down @ nearly 50 to 55 volts Well ths can be reduced by wet floor and hands

But still If there had not been faulty connection in the charger or breakdown in the charging apparatus the person couldn't have died

But No device is accurately designed So it is better not to use mobile phones While charging
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Now you know why people advice against buying Chinese goods!!! The charger must have been faulty!!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    But No device is accurately designed So it is better not to use mobile phones While charging
    In this case no one will buy this phone.

There two factor are dangerous in this case:
    • Faulty wiring (No earthing (third pin)) / charger
    • iPhone is totally aluminium body (not blaming but could be a factor)
    It's also true that most of people who are using any phone (metallic body or plastic body), answer their phone while charging few times a month.
    So it's better to answer :
    1. On Speaker or
    2. Hands free
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Adding to what anoop said earphones are a solution if you really need to answer call when you are charging your mobile phone

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please suggest me which course to prefer DAC or DSSD and centers prefrence list for the same its urgent please.reply as soon as possible.i shall be thankful regards
Adding up to the interesting list of the premium hatchbacks in the Indian car market, BMW India seems to be all set to launch the BMW 1 Series in September...
As you all know govt allowed 51% investment in retail sector.many of are in favor of it and many are against . Frankly speaking i do not understand what is...
If you're looking for a portable solar generator to keep your array of electronic empire charged, look no further than the SunSocket - the compact, portable solar generator that ensures...
The use of robotics in medical field isn't new. But this new Japanese internal imaging robot helps the doctors like no one else, especially during emergency situations. The robot, currently...