Is It Possible To Get Source-Code Of Cartridge Based Games (8-bit/16-bit Games) & Port To RPi ?

I was wondering, whether it is possible to get the assembly codes of the cartridge based gaming console by any possible way ?
If No,then what's reason behind that ?
If yes, then is it possible to port the game for RPi ? How tough is to port games compiled with ca65 & ld65 to current compilers ?

If by any means getting source code & porting gets successful, there will be flood of old-school games in RPi, which will be revolutionary, isn't it ?

Replies

• Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    The cartridges had rom which is resistant to tampering ..
    Reading them can be difficult if proper addresses are not known..
    16bit apps can run in dos mode ..
    Had tried final fight & contra on pc ..but its more fun on console ..
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Cyborg 009
    The cartridges had rom which is resistant to tampering ..
    Well buddy, i know that. I am not talking about getting source code from within ROM. What I mean is do you know developers which can hand you assembly codes?
    BTW with Logic barrier method makes impossible to copy the IC, so getting source is not possible by any illegal way.

Cyborg 009
    16bit apps can run in dos mode .
    I am riding with Linux & I am not interested in anything related to Windows or DOS crap.

So, back to my question, Is it possible to get asm source code from anywhere ? (I searched it couldn't find any)
    - Do you have any idea related to implementation of porting these old-school games for RPi ?
    Is it better to develop game from scratch for RPi than porting ?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes the 8-bit game's roms are available over many websites.But I dont have an idea on editing or coverting to other platforms.I have played the 8-bit games like contra , mario on my phone via .Nes emulators.We can also play myboy games in android .
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    No I ain't talking about emulators. The PSX emulators are also available which can run PS2 games in Linux. But emulators are emulators, buggy & full of glitches.
    All I want is source code at this moment & simple information like using which compiler they build it. I know mario was builded with ca65, so i assume most games might be using same.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I found in wikipedia that Atari -a 8 bit game maker uses follwing programmes:
    Assemblers , via the Atari
    Assembler Editor, Atari Macro
    Assembler, MAC/65 , and several
    others.
    BASIC ; Atari BASIC was the
    "standard" BASIC
    implementation for the 8-bit
    family, originally a ROM
    cartridge, and built-in from the
    600XL/800XL onwards. Other
    BASICs included Atari Microsoft
    BASIC , BASIC A+ , BASIC XL,
    Turbo Basic XL , and Advan
    BASIC.
    C (Programming Language) , via
    the Deep Blue C , Lightspeed C
    and cc65 compiler.
    Other languages including
    LOGO (Atari LOGO), LISP
    (INTER-LISP/65), PILOT (Atari
    PILOT), several versions each
    of Forth and Pascal, Action! (a
    high performance Atari-specific
    language from OSS),
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Cyborg 009
    how about this ???
    Overview | Retro Gaming with Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System
    I have read it long ago. Newbies can't setup this. I want retro games without using any external hardware.So that any kid from 3rd world country can download it from Pi store. You know what I mean ?
  • Cyborg 009
    Cyborg 009
    #-Link-Snipped-# You want the source code of those games so that they can be made to work on Rpi ?
    **I dont know a bit abt linux & Rpi ..joining cdac to learn abt these things ..๐Ÿ˜€
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Cyborg 009
    #-Link-Snipped-# You want the source code of those games so that they can be made to work on Rpi ?
    **I dont know a bit abt linux & Rpi ..joining cdac to learn abt these things ..๐Ÿ˜€
    Congrats buddy for admission ๐Ÿ‘
    i guess they'll teach you more about Linux device drivers,Linux kernel, RTOS & Shell scripting more than playing with RPi or Arduinos.
    BTW I am newbie in RPi too, I am just playing with it, hope I don't burn it ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is the news we think a lot of us have been waiting for - Reliance to make an official entry in to the 4G Internet markets in India. TOI...
So, suddenly I don't know what happened to me, I am very much attracted to 8-bit games & 16-bit sega games. i want them in Raspberry Pi. A question popped...
for some companies there is a video synthesis test. a movie clipping will be given and we have to write a few points about the clipping. Many students (even highly...
hi there what is the difference between OFDM and COFDM and IOFDM ? I searched the Internet and found out that COFDM comes from Coded OFDM that is because of...
While I was surfing the net I accidently stumbled on the following website: www.engineeringdaily.net/top-10-remarkable-engineers-of-all-time/ describing the top ten engineers ever.The list compromises Many leading and pioneered engineers.Do you agree the...