Is It Possible In Today's World To Live Without Internet?

The Verge's I'm leaving the internet for a year | The Verge has vowed to leave the Internet for one full year and if things go right; forever! Miller pulled the plug on May 01, 2012 and won't access Internet for the rest 365 days. He won't check emails, respond to twitter, check Facebook etc. But that doesn't stop there. Total abstinence from internet involves not having a phone that connects to the Internet! - Which means going back to the old Nokia days when the phones were 'phones'!

That brings us to a debate of the day: Can we really live in a world without Internet connection? Or it's just that Internet has become a basic necessity of our lives? Share your opinion here ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let me update this with more information. What Paul Miller will do is that he'll still use a computer and iPad, but none of the devices will be connected to the Internet. So he can user Microsoft Word to type a letter and take a print-out; but not email that document to anyone. Strange, right? But that's what he's doing. Can you do that?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That will make his life just more slow-paced, isn't it?
    Write a letter, take a print out, post it in an actual mailbox and wait for 24 hours for it to reach it. ๐Ÿ˜จ
    I don't see the point in total abstinence. Controlled behavior is better. But then that's just my opinion.
    What do you CEans think?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AbraKaDabra
    That will make his life just more slow-paced, isn't it?
    I'm thinking maybe he'll have more time to focus on what we're alienating ourselves from: real, physical humans! I myself tend to find machines more adorable than real human beings ๐Ÿ˜– . Without the Internet, he can spend more time in the park, go to movies, focus on learning new hobby, play a musical instrument and so on.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    I'm thinking maybe he'll have more time to focus on what we're alienating ourselves from: real, physical humans! I myself tend to find machines more adorable than real human beings ๐Ÿ˜– . Without the Internet, he can spend more time in the park, go to movies, focus on learning new hobby, play a musical instrument and so on.
    Quite possible, if his job is not the one tied on and around internet. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's a video featuring Paul Miller:

One will feel that he will freak out following at this idea in just a couple of hours, but I think he is at it.

I personally think it is better to quit Facebook. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    Without the Internet, he can spend more time in the park, go to movies, focus on learning new hobby, play a musical instrument and so on.
    ๐Ÿ‘

When ever I go home (In village).
    Despite of having internet connection I try not to access internet.
    Believe me, It feels damn good to be away from these 104 idiot keys.๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    You have lots of time for youself to think about other than what happening in new technology, gadgets world.
    Away from internet and gadgets feels you have 5-6 hours more in a day.

I think everyone, who access internet almost all day should take a break after few weeks.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ianoop
    ๐Ÿ‘

When ever I go home (In village).
    Despite of having internet connection I try not to access internet.
    Believe me, It feels damn good to be away from these 104 idiot keys.๐Ÿ˜ฒ
    You have lots of time for youself to think about other than what happening in new technology, gadgets world.
    Away from internet and gadgets feels you have 5-6 hours more in a day.

I think everyone, who access internet almost all day should take a break after few weeks.
    Yes. It is indeed relaxing. Perfect way to find 'Inner Peace'. ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Gmail today has announced an important feature: automatic email message translation. Google Translate product manager Jeff Chin announced the availability of the service through official blog post on Google blog....
Pinterest's growing popularity is attracting it lots of new and old friends. In a recent move, the Flickr service has announced tighter integration with the world's favorite photo wall: Pinterest....
While copying about 600 Mbs of photos from my USB flash drive to my computer, I found out that the reading speeds were abysmally low (around 10 Mbps). I began...
Quimera Responsible Racing and the UK's Alex Letteriello and his small team at Evelio Electric Supercars have jointly developed All electric drift car (aka AEDC) capable of covering 150 miles...
I remember the days when I first held a blackberry phone in my hand. I was told that it was an excellent phone for email and typing some real stuff...