Is it okay to use smilies or emoticons in professional communication?

What I'm talking about is the professional communication that you do with your boss or colleagues or say your clients. Do you think it's perfectly alright to use smilies or emoticons ( like this: 😀 ) in your professional communication?

Or do you prefer professional communication to be emotion free? Share your opinion.

PS: Would you include emoticon in your resume? Say like this :

I worked for a fortune 500 company 😉 .

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    According to me, we can use similes(with restriction ) for professional communications.
    Secondly, For example, If we take a sentence of "what are you doing"😡or😀. It helps us to describe the nature of our emotions.
    For resume, I need its not needed.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I also used in Microsoft communicator😁 (fortune <..>).
    I don't think it's bad, it's depends on people who are talking . It just make conversation little bit lighter.
    But on resume😕.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Old fashioned. Use them very rarely. Certainly uncomfortable about use in professional communications.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Till date I never used emotions. it looks weird for professional communication.
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    Personally I feel there should not be any problem using emotions in professional communication. But long time ago, i read an article where it said we should not use emotions in professional communication.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think use of emoticons should be kept to minimum if not abandoning altogether in professional communications. In Resume - it's a strict no-no for me.
    But, at the same time I feel we're moving towards a future where - Talks with clients abroad or with even the boss sitting right next to your cabin would be carried out on video calls. 👍 So you emote, not use emoticons.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Emoticons in professional communication, yes we can do it based on the situation! I remember doing it few times. But I am sure the situation after that e-mail would be same without the emoticon as well.

and in Resume 👎
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Professional communication in itself means a formal communication, without the use of emoticons.

use an emoticon, and the "professional communication" ceases to be so.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    That's a no no. They should only be used for informal communication. Usually when communicating to other professionals you want to be taken seriously and more likely than not the conversations convey serious messages. Also the person you are sending the message to may not be the only one seeing it. It may be open to others so we must be cautious 👀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Professional communication requires a lot of seriousness, and we do communicate professionally to 'state' our points. But in case of informal communication we 'express' our points.

However, over professionalism can do harm at times, so we often tend to keep a personal relation with our clients (from the point of view of an entrepreneur). So use of emoticons can do good, but on the note that the client is your valued customer who has known you for quite some time.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Its a great pleasure to join in this community to get involved with more engineers and sharing knowledge among us. I am working as an Analyst Programmer in Syntel. This...
I found some questions from their logic assessment test. Check them here:
According to today's reports in TOI, Amazon Offices in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai, that create solutions for the ecommerce operations are all hiring (despite a slowdown) Amazon is going to...
Name: Ilga Gracy *Engineering Trade: IT Location: Chennai *Occupation: Analyst Programmer Work Experience: 4 yrs *Hobbies & Interests: Singing and reading spiritual books *Aim in life: To become CEO *I...
Hi all, I am thinking of buying a new laptop. My range is 30-35k. Please suggest. I've used Dell Vostro 1040. It's good till now but i had faced problem...