Is "Internet of Things" the next big thing?

Do you think IoT will become the next big thing? Also, If you had the power, would you invest in IoT? or Will you wait for a few years and see how does the commercial market respond to IoT?

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Akhilesh Garud
    Do you think IoT will become the next big thing? Also, If you had the power, would you invest in IoT? or Will you wait for a few years and see how does the commercial market respond to IoT?
    Yeah, I think it could be surely a big thing !
    This can provide much power and utility to the users.
    Moreover, Raspberry Pi can also be used in IoT technology. This could surely provide a cost effective solution to IoT. I'm waiting to see when we actually have this implemented in every household 😀

PS: Shouldn't this thread be in Computer Science section?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    what is Internet of Things exactly?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    durga
    what is Internet of Things exactly?
    Basic concept behind Internet of Things is controlling all your device from distant places through the internet.

Basically, you'll be connecting everything, your TV, Refrigerator, table, chair, everything via internet to you. So for instance, you moved out of your house to go to your office and forgot to switch off lights or fan, you can simply switch them off.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Here is the example:-
    Index of /
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Now a days all big silicon manufacturer are spending lot of money on IoT.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    my bad. I know what IoT is. All I was referring to was there are earlier technologies such as adhoc networks and wireless mesh networks which are quite similar in idea, I find it more like a fresh name for fresh start. a quick wki link Wireless Mesh Network
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    durga
    my bad. I know what IoT is. All I was referring to was there are earlier technologies such as adhoc networks and wireless mesh networks which are quite similar in idea, I find it more like a fresh name for fresh start. a quick wki link Wireless Mesh Network
    As you are enjoying networking and wireless mesh networking then IoT is surely going to be a good field for you to workout. 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Here is the development board from two big MCU manufacturer company ST and TI.

ST+Element14 contest for IoT :- #-Link-Snipped-#
    CEans you can take part in this contest.

Launchpad from TI :- #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    #-Link-Snipped-# 😛hehe. I dont know ,not a great fan of IoT as of now , though not a skeptic, if the devices are not secured well now instead of 1 device, you have multiple devices through which an intruder can sneak in . Really?? nevertheless I enjoy discussing anything related to networking. But tell me something, from recent IoT meet ups I have been attending, people talk about PLCs when they refer to IoT .I recon PLCs have been around since sometime now, so how is this whole thing coming together?

I don't tinker much with my RPi's apart from using them as test routers though.
  • Anand Vardhan
    Anand Vardhan
    According to me, It'll surely be the next BIG thing. But, (There's a 'but' for every new stuff) the people would become lazier( 😴 ) than ever and daily life would somewhat seem like a RC video game.
    (Heavy thought 😛 )
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    in similar lines has anyone checked this out? pretty old though. had a chance to see it in real, heats up quite fast and reciprocates quite slowly -_-, i dont remember if it was same brand though. but something very similar
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone with 'power' and a 'vision' is bound to like IoT.

Talking of bringing together 'everything' - I can think of 4 aspects of it.
    1. Infrastructure vendors (Like Cisco) who develop the networking structure.
    2. Companies to develop IoT connected devices.
    3. Develop apps to run on those devices
    4. Big-data analysts who shall use info generated by IoT to achieve a variety of results

#-Link-Snipped-# Can you shed some light on the topics that are discussed at the IoT meetups?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    durga
    in similar lines has anyone checked this out? pretty old though. had a chance to see it in real, heats up quite fast and reciprocates quite slowly -_-, i dont remember if it was same brand though. but something very similar
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Yeah ! I seen same or similar on Kickstarter and now a days many people are trying to replicate similar. And this is really good example of booming technology.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ ankita : generally people show off their RPi creations or arduino creations or PLC creations and discuss how IoT would affect common household . Most of the time is spent on tinkering with RPis though. Few projects to list were a Twitter feed reader, a RPi controller A recent meetup also had immediate C developer(John E. Wulff) as a speaker , quite interesting.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Harshad,
    Guess what the globe is just a group of LEDs and each group of LEDs can be turned on or off to derive a colour gradient. I have also seen Christmas lights where some 50 bulbs could change colours
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    pun
    someone's hacking the fridge and melted all the icecream away 😁
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    durga
    #-Link-Snipped-# 😛hehe. I dont know ,not a great fan of IoT as of now , though not a skeptic, if the devices are not secured well now instead of 1 device, you have multiple devices through which an intruder can sneak in . Really?? nevertheless I enjoy discussing anything related to networking. But tell me something, from recent IoT meet ups I have been attending, people talk about PLCs when they refer to IoT .I recon PLCs have been around since sometime now, so how is this whole thing coming together?

I don't tinker much with my RPi's apart from using them as test routers though.
    I am not sure which PLC term they are talking but I think it might be Power Line Communication. As now a days nobody want extra wires for the communication and nor some wireless technology so in that place Communication over Power Line can be a very cheaper solution.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I am quite sure it must be Programmable Logic Controllers
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    durga
    @ Harshad,
    Guess what the globe is just a group of LEDs and each group of LEDs can be turned on or off to derive a colour gradient. I have also seen Christmas lights where some 50 bulbs could change colours
    But that Lifx is more than simply LED globe. Using IoT they made it Smarter LED globe. 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    durga
    I am quite sure it must be Programmable Logic Controllers
    Oh ! Right as wireless communication is next big change coming up in Programmable Logic Controllers and as Most of the automated industry process are using those PLCs, IoT guys can see good future and revenue from them.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Here is dedicated blog for IoT from SiLabs a big gun in semiconductor industry :- #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Akhilesh Garud
    I think this is one of the most interesting discussion on CE that deserves the attention of every engineer around here. Not sure why it died down back then.
    Anyway getting to the point.

If you google about 'the next big thing' on the Internet, chances are high that you will land up on a list on a website that has a list which mentions IoT or Internet of Things in it. That brings us to the question #-Link-Snipped-# asked. What is IoT exactly? What are some of the best examples of it?

From what I understand, Internet of Things is a loose term to define a lot of technological advancement happening around us. It can be anything from -
    1. Machine to Machine communication without human intervention
    2. Smart vending machines that operate on their own for updating inventory, changing pricing and maintaining a database et al.
    3. A power plant's artificially intelligent control system.
    4. Running shoes that communicate time, speed and distance so that their wearers can compete in real time with people on the other side of the world.
    5. Smart homes, smart meters, smart locks, smart e-commerce etc.

I read a definition by someone on the internet a few days back that really clicked me as the perfect way to describe IoT. It says, when objects are able to identify themselves and possess the intelligence to communicate information about themselves with other objects while being able to access information aggregated by other objects on their own - that's what you call Internet of Things.

And it's already a big thing, because practically every innovation we see today, every tech news headline, every major press release is about a product that falls under the roof of IoT.

If I am wrong in understanding IoT, please correct me.
  • Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Gollapinni Karthik Sharma
    Soon with the Internet of things the world is going to change.
    With the change even in the networking domain we can soon see a smart world, smart city, smart campus, smart parking. Intelligence delivered anywhere at any point of time. Most of things are going to change to be come automation with the implementation of sensors. And implementation of the IOT in Automobile industry will introduce a concept of Smart Travel.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

To be in the current market and provide a tough competition to Amazon Web Services and those offered by Microsoft, Google has plans to add a persistent flash storage and...
​ The picture above shows the potential due to ring charge. (you need to right click on the picture box and open on new tab) Please show the full steps...
​ The picture above shows the potential due to ring charge. (you need to right click on the picture box and open on new tab) Please show the full steps...
Click on the thumbnails to open bigger charts.
Basically it's not a discussion, but as I am new and this is my first activity after the sticker thing, I wanted to say that I've started to like this...