Is Facebook Killing Meaningful Communication?

Facebook changed the way people communicated online. But is the change good? This debate topic is inspired from this comic I stumbled upon -

fb-communication

Now instead of expressing your thoughts online, you can simply hit the 'like' button and proceed to something else. When we were enabling the 'like' functionality here on CE (which is inspired from FB), the major concern was, will our members still continue to express themselves online?

I look forward to a meaningful, content-rich debate on the topic 😀

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Today I watched a program on Discovery-"Inside Facebook", Lots of things I know about it but what i looked closely is Zuckerberg's conversation. He used to be psychology student he know what people wants and probably he invented this Like button to this internet world.
    "Like button" works in various way....
    agreed with you, agreed and commented, liked but don't have to say anything, Ok and don't want to give a $%#% about it.
    Its all about virtual world.This like button made people to connect easily.
    when problem comes!!!.... because of this increasing connectivity people are living in virtual world and feeling as real.from that program I watched , at some point they discussed that some people really cares about how much likes they get , comments they got , how many friends they have.
    but most of time they forgot that the content they are sharing is not their original one but some funny pic, status like 'I got a cold' or chat under status update.
    I think in short of, this Like button killing the meaningful conversation and making people to lean about the option above, which in grey color.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think this is the same topic that #-Link-Snipped-# brought forward when we introduced 'like' system on CrazyEngineers. I think like button is for the vast majority who prefer to be passive participants. Most people won't actively take part in discussions (even in real life). It is there way of saying we are here.
    From what I see, people who are really talkative/expressive OR the one who really have points to share, will always take part in discussions and only get benefited.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Almost everything seems to be online for sale; except the medicines. I wonder why haven't the pharma stores made their way to the Internet yet. This also means that there's...
I was in a meeting with a startups guy from the US who was visiting our city. He said, "2 years of working in a startup would be equivalent to...
Hello, I am planing to update my desktop. As of now i have a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ processor with 2 GB ram. Kindly let me know the...
which branch to choose: ece or cs, interested in microprocessor (design and programming), scared of repetetive jobs after 4 years
Name: Vineeth Vijayan *Engineering Trade: BE - EEE Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu *Occupation: Working in IT Work Experience: 3 Years *Hobbies & Interests: playing PC - First Person Shooter games...