View Feed
group-icon
Electronics
Community of Electronics Engineers to discuss all concepts, topics, questions and doubts.
504 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Sagar Singh
Sagar Singh • Jul 9, 2019

Is electronics hard to study?

Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Jul 9, 2019

I'm from Electrical engineering background. I can tell you the major obstacle that most student face in studying electricity; and that is everything needs to be imagined. Everything is either diagrams, graphs which are difficult to understand and you really have to love electronics to be able to make sense out of these graphs.

For example, let's talk about the most common term you'll encounter while studying electronics (or electrical) - "The Phase Angle". Even the concept of "Phase" is difficult to "understand" by looking at vectors. Even if it makes sense; you are not sure that it's actually what you figured out. 

Then they'll ask you to imagine the phase difference between voltage and current; and it will be represented by two vectors! How do we make sense of something like this? -

DCQl-acp29.jpg

You see - everything needs to be 'understood' in your brain; and that's what makes electronics difficult to study and understand. 

In most of the other engineering branches - be it Mechanical, Civil, Structural, Chemical - you can actually see things with your eyes and that makes it easy to figure out. Even in programming, you can actually "see" the code and understand the logic. 

So yeah - it is bit difficult to study and understand. But if you learn to accept - it, IMHO, is one of the best things you'll study. Electronics and Electrical engineering form the base of computing - and if you look at major contributors to computer science - they are mostly electrical / electronics engineers! 😉 

Let me tag @Ramani Aswath sir, @Abhishek Rawal and @Harshad Italiya to know about their experiences learning electronics. 

Harshad Italiya
Harshad Italiya • Jul 9, 2019

Good Question !
In Single line answer would be it depends on your interest. As we know if we do have interest in particular thing then we do give our best in that and so goes in study.

For my case Electronics/Electrical things started with my father. In my school days I used to see my father making Analog Timers board so it turns on Heater for defined time. Also during those days Two-way switch was not that normal and he used to do some tweak to get those done. From that time I was having interest in things and that get developed along with my study.

Now about Electronics it's not just about one things there are many parts, subjects in that as well which is not that easy for you to visualize and understand and compare to other stuffs this needs more of your practical experience so in that case it's little difficult to get going thru. 

Now a days there are many simulators, Emulators available to ease your effort. New things are always difficult to accept in start...

So it's difficult in start for sure and once you are deep in that ocean then it's not that difficult anymore.

Cheers !

Learning electronics in the late fifties and early sixties was (literally) a shocking experience since circuits were based on thermionic valves working at higher voltages. Chemical engineering's involvement with electronics is mostly in instrumentation and process control, all using valves.

Whatever electronics that we learnt was by hands on experimentation by trial and error. Mostly error! 

Some of us got into circuit building as a hobby. I still remember hand winding induction coils for a Hi-Fi audio circuit to convert a single speaker radio into a Hi-F on with woofers and tweeters. The fun was in adjusting the cross over frequencies and listening to the signal shifts in the speakers rather than spending time listening to the music. Occasional cricket commentaries by Vizzi (Maharaj Kumar of Vijayanagaram) describing Nadkarni's bowling (18 overs , 17 maidens, 1 run no wicket) and Pataudi's exploits added to the fun.

It was not studying electronics but learning by doing, without a clue to the complex algebra behind. Coming to that, this is true of almost any field of science and engineering.

To go deep into it, there seems to be no option but to jump in at the deeps end to sink or swim as @Harshad Italiya says.

Share this content on your social channels -