Is disk Defragmenter option for memory cards and USB drives worthwhile?

Is disk Defragmenter option in windows, for memory cards and USB drives worthwhile?

well if i connect my memorycard to a computer i see various slots alloted for
each kind of file, like mp3 or 3gp etc...and the location is fixed! so if i interchange any files location it stops working! That is i place mp3 file in another location n it stops working!Does that mean i should'nt defragment it
with MS programme for defragmentation!

Same question with certain USB drives!

πŸ˜•

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Moving the thread to CE-IT Help section from Computer Science & Engineering Sectin πŸ˜€

-The Big K-
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    sorry but couldnt undersatnd what u said ... interchange with what ...

what OS are u using and what do u mean by various slots and location

and as defrags are concerned theres no problem defragging ur disk but it doesnt have a huge impact on performance
  • th3 ied kid
    th3 ied kid
    well i use windows XP OS and when i connect my memory card to the computer through my phone, as usual a new drive gets created and thus an option for defragmenting the memory card comes when i right click over the drive !
    The memory card stores various music files etc.. in a fixed location !
    if by mistake or manually i place an mp3 file in another folder location then my phone doesnt read that file anymore!
    So before i defragment my memory card i want to know if by doing so ,would all my files become unreadable ? Well can relocation of memory locations cause havoc?

The same with those MP3 players cum pen-drives wherein folder location matters!

Well hope you are getting my question!
    πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    now based on what i understand i will reply correct me where ever im not on track as per ur problem

first of all u dont need to defrag ur mem card & the defraggin option comes only when u go to properties, right?
    secondly which fone have u connected

thirdly i have never come across some 1 whos dta has become un-readable after defragging,

and as far as the folder issu is concerned i think some fones have that issue, songs have to be placed in a specific folder something like that ... try accessing ur mem card using a card reader
  • ankitvirmani
    ankitvirmani
    Defragmentation can be a good idea to improve access to any kind of memory.But there can be a small problem when we come to memory cards and flash drives-Windows OS supports defrag of memories with file system of FAT/FAT32 only.So better not try this optimization with them.An option to improve performance can be to format the card and re-copy the data...that would definately help.
  • crook
    crook
    ankitvirmani
    Defragmentation can be a good idea to improve access to any kind of memory.But there can be a small problem when we come to memory cards and flash drives-Windows OS supports defrag of memories with file system of FAT/FAT32 only.So better not try this optimization with them.An option to improve performance can be to format the card and re-copy the data...that would definately help.
    Is it true that you cannot degrag the NTFS HD? πŸ˜’
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    no .... u can defrag a ntfs hdd also ... however coming back to topic of defragging a usb drive ... there is no need to defrag a flash disk coz they are made in a way that they drefrag themselves (ie. when data is copied on them) ... defragging a flash disk has no major effect rather not even a minor effect
  • th3 ied kid
    th3 ied kid
    thanx guyz
    yup derfag had no effect at all!
    i tried though and am a bit surprised to know that flash drives etc.. can derfrag themselves!
    could u brief me more?
  • no_atkt
    no_atkt
    dont know much in detail but the major differnece between flash disks and hard disks is that hdd have a moving platter in them and flash disks dont ... data in hdds is tored on these paltters so i guess the movement of plater is the reason why data is scattered and needs to be defragged

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Today 3 of our own CEans celebrate their birthday ! Many Happy Returns Of The Day anupsingh, NiLaY, manumohan πŸŽ‰Party On Dudes! 😁😁😁 -The Big K-
Lost in a City -Me Mumbaikar I am not a Mumbaikar. And i dont wish to be one. When i see hundreds and thousands of people at one place, i...
Pals!! i m facing this problem lately when i reinstalled windows xp on my system. it needs windows installer updates,installed latest updates from Microsoft .. done everything required for it......
hi friends, can u explain me why v can't create the folder on desktop or other inside the drive with name of "CON"? Thank in advance.....
Hi CEans! Now you need not download the Yahoo/Live messenger. Just try out https://webmessenger.yahoo.com - Yahoo's latest web messenger! Its Cool & Simple 😁 -The Big K-