IS DIESEL BASED AIRCRAFT ENGINE POSSIBLE ?

I have heard that an aircraft engines runs on white petrol, but i didn't got the reason that why we don't design an aircraft engine that runs on diesel or petrol.Can anyone give me the right reason.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    aircrafts generally use turbo jets or turbo-props. i think they can use any fuel, be it diesel or petrol, not so sure of it though.
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    zaveri
    aircrafts generally use turbo jets or turbo-props. i think they can use any fuel, be it diesel or petrol, not so sure of it though.
    If turbo-jets can run on any fuel,then why don't we prefer petrol and diesel rather than going for white petrol,which is costlier one.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    If turbo-jets can run on any fuel,then why don't we prefer petrol and diesel rather than going for white petrol,which is costlier one.

I don't know what white petrol is, but looks like it has better calorific value, which can easily power turbojets, unlike petrol and diesel, which can be used only for something comparitively light-duty such as automobiles.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's an interesting discussion. I'm a little more interested in knowing about biodiesel and whether it can be used in aircrafts and what's the overall impact on the design & weight of the aircraft.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Biodiesel is an alternate fuel over petrol or diesel for I.C engines (no matter what the application may be).

it is generally the oil extracted from plants such as jathropa.

the only disadvantage of biodiesel is that NOx emissions are rather high and NOx has drastic effects on human beings and causes acid rain.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The problem may be related to IC engines. Planes do not use these any more. Diesel is a compression ignition fuel requiring very high compression ratios compared to petrol, which is a spark ignition fuel. The higher compression ratio leads to more engine maintenance, which is not looked on kindly in flying.

If we get back to dirigibles (rigid Helium balloons) a diesel propeller may be a worthwhile alternative.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Jet A & A1 jet fuel is very similar to diesel. This is why the US Marines uses diesel vehicles so everything can run on jet propellant. Thielert & Austro both make aircraft diesel engines, I'm sure there are probably others too.
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    gohm
    Jet A & A1 jet fuel is very similar to diesel. This is why the US Marines uses diesel vehicles so everything can run on jet propellant. Thielert & Austro both make aircraft diesel engines, I'm sure there are probably others too.
    Thank you for your help,but can i know what was the problem that was faced early in designing a diesel engine and how it had overcome the situation.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Although diesel engines have been around for a long time for aircraft and airships, they fell out of favor before World War II due to a much lower power to weight ratio than a turbo prop and the cheapness of avgas. Recently with improvements in diesel engine technology combined with the rising cost & availability issues of avgas have led several companies to again design & build using diesel engines so the planes can run on kerosene (basically what jet fuel is) and also automotive grade diesel fuel.
  • ABHINAV RANJAN
    ABHINAV RANJAN
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    I have heard that an aircraft engines runs on white petrol, but i didn't got the reason that why we don't design an aircraft engine that runs on diesel or petrol.Can anyone give me the right reason.
    If you are asking from design point of view the answer is surely "YES". But next comes the practical viability. Aircraft engines are designed keeping in view the many other operative limitations: like ease of handling, cleanliness, flash point, relighting capacity, storage and of course commercial viability.
    Earlier aircraft used to run on 100 octane petrol (which you might have indicated as white petrol); some of them are still in use in india like HTP-32 used in airforce as trainer aircraft, micro lights and now a days UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) . Due to high inflammability property of petrol has restricted it's use augmented by rising fuel prices. Now a days the aircraft runs on ATF (Aviation Turbine Fuel) ; it is nothing but highly purified form of Kerosene which is also called K-50 in India for Koyali Refinery production of 50 micron purity.

The reason for using this is : it's clean; it's flash point is nominal; it can be sprayed under high pressure through tiny nozzles, it doesn't condense easily at high altitudes and from commercial point of view it's still cheaper than diesel.

No doubt several advancement has been made in the field of diesel engine also but still it's inherent charactristics like high flash point , viscosity and chances of blocking the tiny fuel nozzels are keeping it away from choice of design engineers.
  • itsmesanthugowda
    itsmesanthugowda
    syed intresting!!!!mainly turbo power is important and gasoline has high compression ratio...I think diesel-aero engines were tried during early 1940s... Advantage- is its excellent SFC specific fuel consumption, higher density, also for diesel no spark plugs or else no electrical interference is required.may b its time to make an optimum diesel based aircrafts......
  • itsmesanthugowda
    itsmesanthugowda
    abhinav
    ABHINAV RANJAN
    If you are asking from design point of view the answer is surely "YES". But next comes the practical viability. Aircraft engines are designed keeping in view the many other operative limitations: like ease of handling, cleanliness, flash point, relighting capacity, storage and of course commercial viability.
    Earlier aircraft used to run on 100 octane petrol (which you might have indicated as white petrol); some of them are still in use in india like HTP-32 used in airforce as trainer aircraft, micro lights and now a days UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) . Due to high inflammability property of petrol has restricted it's use augmented by rising fuel prices. Now a days the aircraft runs on ATF (Aviation Turbine Fuel) ; it is nothing but highly purified form of Kerosene which is also called K-50 in India for Koyali Refinery production of 50 micron purity.

The reason for using this is : it's clean; it's flash point is nominal; it can be sprayed under high pressure through tiny nozzles, it doesn't condense easily at high altitudes and from commercial point of view it's still cheaper than diesel.

No doubt several advancement has been made in the field of diesel engine also but still it's inherent charactristics like high flash point , viscosity and chances of blocking the tiny fuel nozzels are keeping it away from choice of design engineers.
    hey time has come.... now we are able to get clean ,non stingy diesel....
  • itsmesanthugowda
    itsmesanthugowda
    itsmesanthugowda
    abhinav

hey time has come.... now we are able to get clean ,non stingy diesel....
    its better to make use of hydrogen else biogas
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Not only diesel based jet fuels are possible, they are probably being used right now in many, many fighter craft today. The main reason? A rather high flash/fire point of this particular fuel. This is a very important consideration for a fighter craft, since if enemy AA bullets or shrapnel find their way into fuel tanks carrying volatile, low flash-point fuel, the leaking fuel will cause the craft to transform into a fireball in a matter of seconds.

[PS. They will never tell you what their fighter jets run on. Security reasons. This is speculation and guesswork on an obvious point.]

That being said, diesel-like jet fuels are more likely to be smoky, which is a strict no-no for stealth aircraft. Also a problem for civilian aircraft use in today's environmentally-conscious times. This problem can, however, be solved using afterburners and by slight improvisations in the combustion chamber of the jet.

For a more exhaustive treatment of the subject, I refer you to Roger, Cohen and Saravanamuttoo's Gas Turbine Theory and Practice
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    Gurjap
    Not only diesel based jet fuels are possible, they are probably being used right now in many, many fighter craft today. The main reason? A rather high flash/fire point of this particular fuel. This is a very important consideration for a fighter craft, since if enemy AA bullets or shrapnel find their way into fuel tanks carrying volatile, low flash-point fuel, the leaking fuel will cause the craft to transform into a fireball in a matter of seconds.

[PS. They will never tell you what their fighter jets run on. Security reasons. This is speculation and guesswork on an obvious point.]

That being said, diesel-like jet fuels are more likely to be smoky, which is a strict no-no for stealth aircraft. Also a problem for civilian aircraft use in today's environmentally-conscious times. This problem can, however, be solved using afterburners and by slight improvisations in the combustion chamber of the jet.

For a more exhaustive treatment of the subject, I refer you to Roger, Cohen and Saravanamuttoo's Gas Turbine Theory and Practice
    Gurjap

thank you very much. It's really helpful
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    Gurjap

thank you very much. It's really helpful

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This is the project to control Robotic Arm using Blender.Pic18f4550 and pic12f1480 controllers are used. click here
hello CEans!!! i am jassry, a college student taking up BS in Civil Engineering. CE was introduced to me by a friend somewhere before and i am really curious about...
pLz suggest me the most latest Seminar Topics for E&TC,EC,ET field its urgent ...!!!!
Dell has launched the brand new addition to their Inspiron series, called "Dell Inspiron 15z" in India. The price of the machine is Rs. 42,000 for which you will get...
Samsung has sent out invitation to leading media publications in India for their unveiling event on February 14th. Samsung promises to announce a new phone in India on the occasion...