Is banning facebook on college campus justified?

IIT Madras has banned facebook on their college campus saying that the traffic to the site chokes their networks: #-Link-Snipped-#

Do you think that banning facebook on college campus is justified?

Replies

• born_star16
    born_star16
    Not justified at all with this reason.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I guess they need to make their servers more powerful to handle more traffic.....😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looking forward to more responses. The debate is about whether banning is justified or not.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    @Topic:

Is banning facebook on college campus justified?

According to me it is perfectly justified, now I'm not saying this because I'm don't use FB. But for the time that I was active on FB, I would do nothing but just kill time. My college library had internet facility, and all students had access to the internet in the library. As a senior, I myself caught so many students logged on FB and doing nothing but chatting, playing some game or some application.

So its total waste of time and internet. 😁
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I totally agree with DE because Facebook in college campus is a complete waste of time unless you want to get relaxed or to communicate with someone.

Blocking it for traffic reasons, well I think if that’s the reason then they might get more than useful reasons than that if it’s their problem.
  • K Vikrant
    K Vikrant
    All the IITs offer their education and internet at highly subsidized rates. An IIT degree would cost from 25% to 50 % of a private degree , and still the quality of education is the best in the country. This subsidized education comes because of the taxpayer's money. The IIT is providing internet not for keeping in touch with friends but to do some serious technical research. So yes the IIT in question is perfectly justified in banning Facebook. The IIT is not banning use of Broadband modems such as Reliance or Airtel , if the student wishes to contact his/her friends the student should use private ISPs.

Of course, a student may be part of a technical group on Facebook and maybe using it for studies. But a large organisation such as IIT has to rely on majority stats, like most people in this thread have pointed out facebook is used 90% of the time for chatting. Sites such as physicsforums , edaboard, linuxforums , should of course never be banned.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    Facebook is good when it is used productivly. I dont think staying online and chatting for hours and hours is a benificial thing. To connect with old friends and to know about events around them , facebook is a good platform.

I think , the issue which became a news earlier stating that ' IITians are not upto their standards' made IIT to dismiss the unproductive things for their students. When discussed about unproductive things , Facebook is the first thing which comes in the minds as students mostly sit longer time using facebook.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I agree Facebook can be unproductive.. but if it only takes Facebook to choke their networks, upgrading their network architecture should be their top priority. E-learning is taking more importance, and if easy access to online materials or courseware is there, then students would be more inclined to access them 😀
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    If the main work and productivity gets totally damaged, yeah, but not completely they should ban, but during class hours, yes! 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The construction of Moscow tower began in 2003 and is expected to complete in 2016 if the project continues to maintain pace. The tower will host two towers over a...
CEans, as we earlier revealed that the mobile style is under development. Our analytics shows that android and ios are the top mobile operating systems used to access CE. However...
Most of the Indian cities have major traffic congestions. This is in addition to the lax emission control measures with offending commercial vehicles dumping huge SPM and chemical pollutants into...
Quote: This week at International CES 2012, Toshiba will be demonstrating the latest additions to its lineup of flash memory offerings – the TransMemory-EX TM series of USB flash memory...
Android, to the best of my knowledge is based on unix (correct me please) and unix through its design makes it difficult for the viruses to be written for the...