Is ABS really a needed safety system for Indian road conditions?

We know that ABS- Anti lock braking system has been a good safety system which helps to stop the locking of wheel during braking which predominantly takes place in cold countries where cars often skid while applying brakes.This works with the help of sensors which continuously track the locking of wheel and the ECU helps to drive the car with better handling during handling .
But is this effective in Indian road conditions ?
Should we spend more on other important safety systems?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    I actually thought it works perfectly on dry roads. Or at least, that is what I've read till date. In snow and rain ABS is said to perform less effectively.

But, the technology has developed a lot and in present scenario performs quite well in all challenging conditions. Why do you doubt whether ABS is effective on Indian roads? What is the limiting factor that is present only on Indian roads?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I read that It was more effective in ice or snow filled roads where car wheel tend to skid when brake is applied.ABS helps to handle better during this situation.
    This was what i read.Sorry if it is wrong and correct me sir
    Waiting for valuable comments from CEans:
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# and all other CEans are free to express their views
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not really familiar with the way ABS work; but I haven't experienced wheels getting locked. Can someone tell me if ABS influence the costs by huge margin?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    As far as I know, ABS stops the wheels from skidding on smooth surfaces when you apply sudden brakes, like in the case of snow or rain, as you mentioned. I think it's a good security measure, coz let's be frank, roads are filled with idiots and you never know when you will have to push the brake hard! In which case ABS will not freeze the wheel, instead the mechanism will stop it in small intervals, like stop-run-stop-run, something like that, which in turn helps to avoid the skidding and toppling in some cases.

As far as indian roads are concerned, yes there is no snow, but there is chance of water when it rains, so I don't think having an extra security measure will hurt.

Coming to costs, yes, it does make a big difference. One of my friends went for car hunting a few weeks ago, and I accompanied him, turns out ABS and airbags can make a difference of 40,000 - 70,000 in the cost of the vehicle!
    Researched for many websites on the issue whether it is possible to install ABS in non ABS cars and the answer is simple.It was quite expensive, complicated as it involves modification of wheels to accomodate sensors, creating path for wiring, coding etc.Many experts suggested to buy a ABS equipped car rather than installing new one.

#-Link-Snipped-# I am too curious. to know price of ABS system as oli didnt get a answer through net.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thanks for interesting info .So advanced cars always come in package like ABD+Airbags.
    Do you know cost of AbS alone?
    Thanks
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    #-Link-Snipped-# : No idea, man! And as far as I have seen, they don't add them separately. Either you go for a car without ABS and airbags, or you buy one already equipped with them.
  • Amit Krupal
    Amit Krupal
    ABS systems consist of 4 primary components:
    ABS Controller
    ABS Speed sensors
    ABS Modulator/Valves
    ABS Pumps

ABS systems were designed to increase stopping performance. Skidding wheels have less traction and therefore take longer to stop than non-skidding wheels. Skidding wheels also put the vehicle in more danger of accident due to the lack of control. By monitoring and controlling the rate of deceleration of each wheel anti lock brake systems avoid this skidding.
    Thanks for info #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Your view on this discussion whether it is fit for Ibdian roads or not¿
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Thanks for info #-Link-Snipped-#.
    Your view on this discussion whether it is fit for Ibdian roads or not¿
    Yes, wheel get chocked while applying breaks in panic condition when driver keep pressing break to stop vehicle. To avoid this you need to pump the break or get ABS.

Following video is no accurate but overall this is how ABS works.
    Prevents chocking of breaks which prevents wheel to bend in either direction.
    In two wheeler abs works by applying rear and front break simultaneously
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    We know that ABS- Anti lock braking system has been a good safety system which helps to stop the locking of wheel during braking which predominantly takes place in cold countries where cars often skid while applying brakes.This works with the help of sensors which continuously track the locking of wheel and the ECU helps to drive the car with better handling during handling .
    But is this effective in Indian road conditions ?
    Should we spend more on other important safety systems?
    ABS cost heavy on pocket but its an important safety feature too.

As far as Indian Road conditions are concerned ,I think it should be made mandatory in some specific regions like Hill Areas.

Hill roads are more prone to skid during Rainy season & Winter season which may cause fatal accident. Hence all the Small & Heavy vehicles (Personal + Commercial) running on hill roads should have ABS installed .
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thanks for interesting info .So advanced cars always come in package like ABD+Airbags.
    Do you know cost of AbS alone?
    Thanks

Think this may help : #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Uploaded by Michał Sadowski - Entrepreneur, Public Speaker and Social Media Enthusiast, this video takes you on a journey highlighting the happy moments in a life of an entrepreneur. The...
Anybody use "OMNeT++" Network Simulator??
Samsung India has finally put up its 10.1 inch Android tablet on its eStore. Priced at Rs. 36,340, The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 tablet's screen features a WXGA resolution...
Current generation of electric vehicles (EVs) rely on lithium-ion batteries for power. While these batteries have their own advantages, the disadvantages cannot be ignored. Li-Ion batteries have longer life; but...
hello,,,I am selected in a Company after 2 months .net training . now project manager allot me biztalk team,I dont have any idea about biztalk. I spend too much time...