IPv6 Global Launch Confirmed On June 6 By Internet Society

The next version of Internet Protocol will officially go live all over the globe on June 6, 2012. If you remember, June 8 was declared last year as the World IPv6 Day. The new protocol will replace existing IPv4 protocol which promised only 4 billion addresses on the Internet. Unfortunately most of those addresses have already been consumed and ISPs and major Internet companies will now have to upgrade their offerings to IPv6 through new hardware. I wrote a detailed post on this topic : #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    IPv6 upgrades the limit to 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses
    This could bring a revolution in Internet.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    K!r@nS!ngu
    This could bring a revolution in Internet.
    Yes, it will. I just wonder how will we type those IP addresses on our consoles. Imagine accessing your Wi-Fi router or DSL modem on a local network with that big address. ๐Ÿ˜
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ^^ We can continue to use IPv4 addresses internally, I guess...
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    yes, GRE tunnels are proposed to be used to send data traffic between IPV6 enabled devices.
    for example - we have ipv6 compatible device <-->ipv4 compatible device <-->ipv6 compatible device.
    Obviously there are already millions of routers out there which might have never dreamt of ipv6 existence, hence in these cases, tunnels can be used. Where IPV6 packets are encapsulated within ipv4 packets for trasnmission through only ipv4 enabled devices and then decrypted at the other end.
    As in ipv4, ipv6 too has private and public addressing formats and infact the mac address will be a part of your ipv6 address in your local lan .
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    So what will happen to the folks using Win XP and older software? Will they be out of the game or what?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm not a big fan of QR codes, but it seems that Gmail is testing QR code based login mechanisms. The tests aren't available now, but mashable has a video...
hi guyz, i'm a beginner in this field but very much interested in it,so can anyone say wat builds the foundation of robotics??
Built in 1971 in upstate New York, the Mushroom House consists of 5 connected pods (Zoom), each suspended between 15 and 20 feet above the ground by steel stems. (It...
HP Labs India has launched an innovative set top box that connects to your regular or HDTV and lets you browse Internet in an incredibly easy way. HP calls it...