Inverter Batteries: How are they rated & other questions

here are some of my queries about batteries:
-how are batteries generally rated?
-what is the difference between a 12V36A battery and a 12V100A?
-what will be the effect of these batteries on a load?
-how do you determine what watt of solar panel is required to charge a particular battery?

i'd really appreciate if someone kindly answers these questions for me!!

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    12V36A = the battery can give a maximum of 36 A in an hour and 12V 100A can give 100 A current in an hour

The overall capacity of both thr batteries are different

Batteries are rated based on the current rating they can provide

The voltage rating of the Solar panel must be higher than the Voltage rating of the battery to be charged

To Charge a 12V battery U will need minimum 13.6 V output from the Solar panel. The wattage determines how long you will have to charge the battery

Higher the Wattage lesser charging time
  • lal
    lal
    1. Batteries are rated in Ampere-hour (Ah) or Watt-hour (Wh). A 5Ah battery can provide 5 amperes for one hour constantly before it becomes usable. If the current is drawn at a rate of 2.5Ah, it will last for two hours. Same way a 10Wh, battery can deliver power at the rate of 10W for an hour.

2. It should be 12V36Ah. The battery will last for an hour is current is drawn at the rate of 36A. A 100Ah battery can deliver 100A constantly for an hour. If the current drawn is 200A, the battery will last only for 30 minutes.

3. Batteries don't have an effect on load, unless batteries of wrong voltage rating are used. Load affects battery. The rate at which the battery is loaded will decide how long shall it be able to provide power.

4. Voltage outupt of the charging unit should be greater than the battery terminal voltage to charge it. Different types of batteries have different charging rates. For instance, a lead acid battery should be charged at 10percent of its rated current. A 10Ah battery should be charged at 1A or less. Solar panel power depends on the rate of charging current and number of batteries. Well, it is usually the job of the charging unit to take care of these things. So it should depend on the charging unit rating.
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    thank you @#-Link-Snipped-# and @#-Link-Snipped-#... 😁 😁
    and some more questions:
    how long will it to charge a 12V36Ah battery and 12v100Ah battery by 20 watt solar panel for each battery. will a single solar panel of 20 watt be able to charge both the battries, and how long will it take?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Do post the maximum output voltage of the 20Watt solar panel

Friend while charging the VOLTAGE is more important than WATTAGE Please post the VOLTAGE which can be got from the solar panel

Jeffrey Samuel
    To Charge a 12V battery U will need minimum 13.6 V output from the Solar panel. The wattage determines how long you will have to charge the battery
  • lal
    lal
    Assuming the battery is fully discharged.
    Theoretically, total time taken to charge completely = total watt hours/charging power

For a 12V-36Ah battery, charging time = 12 x 36/20
    Which is equal to 21.6 hours. In real, a 20W panel would take much more time to fully recharge that battery.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    friend first check that is the solar pannel able to charge the battery because a 12V battery can be charged only by a 12V adaptor so check the volt output of the solar pannel. and why don't u use a meter to check how much battery is charged because the wheather conditions are not ideal and u won't be able to check how much time sun is glowing and how much time not.So i think u should use a merter to check the charged potential of battery and check it for 1 week then u will be able to know how much time u need to charge it fully.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    friend first check that is the solar pannel able to charge the battery because a 12V battery can be charged only by a 12V adaptor so check the volt output of the solar pannel. and why don't u use a meter to check how much battery is charged because the wheather conditions are not ideal and u won't be able to check how much time sun is glowing and how much time not.So i think u should use a merter to check the charged potential of battery and check it for 1 week then u will be able to know how much time u need to charge it fully.
    Brother for a chemical reaction to reverse you must apply voltage greater than the potential developed

So 12 V battery can't be charged by 12 V supply

If you have any problem check your mobile battery voltage and the output of the adaptor
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    Hi to all my friends. while coming to the battery and charging concepts.generally battery is rated with standby voltage and floating voltage and charging voltage with respect to currents. for example 12v26AH battery its floating voltage is around 14.2to14.8v so we can apply voltage inconsideration to charge the battery up to this level extent. if we required to charge the battery quickly means we need to design the charger which of rated as more no.of currents with 13.6to 14.5v of voltage .if i need to charge 26Ah battery i designed 2Amps with13.6v charger then it would be takes max 12hrs to full when its dried if not it will be changes the hrs depends up on the battery level.charger may changes with respect to battery configuration like Li-ion,lead acid ,NICd etc...
  • dhruba sunuwar
    dhruba sunuwar
    Jeffrey Samuel
    Brother for a chemical reaction to reverse you must apply voltage greater than the potential developed

So 12 V battery can't be charged by 12 V supply

If you have any problem check your mobile battery voltage and the output of the adaptor
    if i put a 12V36A battery and a 12V100A battery in parallel and connect it to a 20 watt solar panel, how far will that be advantageous?? or is it useless?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Mate there won;t be charging of battery note this

Battery Voltage MUST BE LESS THAN THE CHARGERS OUTPUT VOLTAGE

You know 12V battery can't be charged with a 12 V supply

I don't care about the damn current

Why don't you test it out it is not going to destroy the battery or any other component So try it out practically

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi i have completed btech in cse this year i want to apply for cdac feb batch. i need help about how to prepare for cdac entrance exam. i know...
Todays news prove that future two wheelers would be equipped with present car(four wheeler) technologies.Yes Hero Motor Corporation has announced that Its R&D has come up with a new idea...
I saw this strip - a collection of quotes from Chris Guillebeau presented as a comic strip and had a good laugh. I think the strip itself is very thought...
Dear, I am working in Saudi Arabia as electrical engineer with a Turkish based contracting company. I would like to return india soon and would like to establish my own...
I just filled up the iiast form for admission in iia Bangalore ..... Do someone know the material I could use for this exam ... Thank u in advance 😀