Internet problem

hey guyz m currently studin in london rite now and i am living with sum family here and they have free wifi but hte problem is dat i have 9 chinese ppl livin in d houz(its a big houz) and everyone keeps downloadin stuff n i thus i get very low net speed i cannot do my work.can u all plz find me a software to limit them(so that i can download more n get very good speed) and also block them if they r consuming too much internet.the houz owner is friendly and even hez troubled by this so the thing m doin is nt illegal.plz help.thanks in advance

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Do you all use a shared computer or there is a network of computers (each having his own computer connected to Wi-fi)?

-The Big K-
  • safeman
    safeman
    each has his own computer some use wifi and some use lan but the net is d same.i use wifi cuz i don have a lan line in my room
  • crook
    crook
    safeman
    each has his own computer some use wifi and some use lan but the net is d same.i use wifi cuz i don have a lan line in my room
    In that case, you will need administrator access to the server. One way restrict access to other users is to install a NET/LAN monitoring software (I don't know the name) which gives you the control over downloads.

Anyone from networking area can be of some help to you. Wait and keep watch on this thread.
  • Rahul Jamgade
    Rahul Jamgade
    Can you let me know what is the kind of internet connectivity you have . May be direct Broadband modem,any application used as gateway, do you have real ips on your machine. ????

This information is needed even before trying to find out the solution.

you can use bandwidth management tools at your end, but they are generally costly products.

Few products that can be deployed in low cost is SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager : traffic shaping and management

Also Linux based free solutions are available at #-Link-Snipped-#.

You have to deploy this tools at the gateway level of your network (your setup).
  • safeman
    safeman
    its aol broadband and every one has a fixed ip i donno the speed but yet v cn try sum softwares to limit dem.
  • desijays
    desijays
    all the methods described so far require some form of administrator privelages. if you have access to the router or the server that provides you internet access, then it would be a trivial issue.

first off, tell me a couple of things...

* is the server or wireless router in your jurisdiction or in the jurisdiction of someone you know.... like the owner?
    * is NAT enabled?
    * are you sure, they are static ip's?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    One simple problem could be ...
    Wireless Speed - 11 Mbps
    LAN Speed - 100 Mbps

Are the speeds you are getting limited due to your wireless connection? If that is so, the maximum speed you get will be around 1.7 MBps approx. Is that so?
  • desijays
    desijays
    kidakaka
    One simple problem could be ...
    Wireless Speed - 11 Mbps
    LAN Speed - 100 Mbps
    well thats not completely true mate. sorry, if i may seem contradicting.

The truth, inclusive of all considerations is that, the speed of LAN is always not as fast as 100 Mbps. And the speed of Wireless is not always as slow as it seems.

None, the less, if you observe carefully, kidakaka mate... The speed of LAN is irrelavent when you are downloading from the Internet. Whereas if you are connected to you're friend in the same building or the same room, then you will obtain a theoritical output of 100 Mbps. Even that, only in the best possible conditions.

But safeman said everyone has a static ip.

If that's true then all of them might have public WAN ip addresses.

If not, then all of them might be connected to a DHCP router that dishes out static ip's.

In any case to control the flow of traffic, safeman will need access to the topmost router that controls internet access.

ill be honest about one thing though. Im still unclear abt safemans network setup. Without that knowledge, its hard to guesstimate solutions.

But if worse comes to worse and safeman's internet speeds start bleeding, there are other ways of doing it, but I don't think big k would be pleased about it.
  • safeman
    safeman
    ok guyz d ips r static.some use lan some use wan.its a belkin router.the houz owner wont tell me no to anything.i have all d privileges.i jus need a limiter to limit them and put my speed as max and the houz owner doesnt mind cuz hez friendly and even he dsnt want dose chinese 2 hv so much net as dey rnt even payin him.the ips r static cuz he uses usb internet so the router doesnt get the net that is why v hav set d dns and the gateway as the houz owners ip and put our computer's ip ourselves doing this our server bcmes the houz owner and v get the net from him.reply soon.

Tell me any way ill do it.its seriously troubling us as i hv my studies and my houz owner is standin in election and he also has imp wrk to do.hez jus got a new pc and even daz strtd gettin frozen so v hv 2 restart it atleast a day.dese chinese r squeezing everythng out of his pc.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *bump*

safeman, take a moment to go through CCS#3 on this page -
    CrazyEngineers

Please avoid 'sms' equivalents of words while posting on CE forums.

-The Big K-
  • safeman
    safeman
    The_Big_K
    *bump*

safeman, take a moment to go through CCS#3 on this page -
    CrazyEngineers

Please avoid 'sms' equivalents of words while posting on CE forums.

-The Big K-
    sorry about that.got a habit of writing like this.will take care from next time.
  • desijays
    desijays
    safeman
    ok guyz d ips r static.some use lan some use wan.its a belkin router.the houz owner wont tell me no to anything.i have all d privileges.i jus need a limiter to limit them and put my speed as max and the houz owner doesnt mind cuz hez friendly and even he dsnt want dose chinese 2 hv so much net as dey rnt even payin him.the ips r static cuz he uses usb internet so the router doesnt get the net that is why v hav set d dns and the gateway as the houz owners ip and put our computer's ip ourselves doing this our server bcmes the houz owner and v get the net from him.reply soon.

Tell me any way ill do it.its seriously troubling us as i hv my studies and my houz owner is standin in election and he also has imp wrk to do.hez jus got a new pc and even daz strtd gettin frozen so v hv 2 restart it atleast a day.dese chinese r squeezing everythng out of his pc.
    okie safeman, im afraid Im a bit confused. But let me elaborate.

From your description, the little i can make sense of; this is my conclusion of your network setup. So you're saying.....

Your house owner has the WAN port that connects to the internet. And the house owner's computer is connected to the Belkin wireless router that also has some LAN ports (I assumed that cos you said the chinese are using LAN ). You said you are connected to this belkin router wirelessly that is in turn connected to your landowner's computer. And the chinese guys are connected to the belkin router via the LAN ports. And in the last post you said you all give yourselves you're own ip addresess, which is in port range of what the belkin router will accept.

So........ in essence, every packet that originates from you or the chinese must go through the belkin router invariably.

From what you have told us so far, this is what I understand.

If what I said above is correct, and if you want to avenge the chinese for all its worth, all you gotta do is pull the ethernet wires from the back of the belkin router. Ofcourse, pull only those wires that give the chinese internet access. After that, no internet for the chinese.

If you can't do that cos the land owner worries the chinese will leave the house, then here is another solution.

1) Access the router config tables on the belkin router. If it hasn't been tampered from the day it was bought then the username will be "admin" or "administrator" and the password will be "admin" or "password". I hope you know the ip address that will let you access the config tables of your router.

2) Then click on the tab that will take you to a page that will list out all the clients that are connected to the belkin router.

3) choose those clients that you want to limit and put in place the hardware filters that are available. There are many filters that you can choose. Most of the times a combination will give you the best results.

Using filters you can limit the amount of data they can download, upload. You can specify the maximum time the router allows the client to connnect..... in which case the router will automatically disconnect him after the set number of minutes.

If that happens he will be forced to reconnect. And if he is downloading some large files or movies, it will be a pain in the ar$e.

I don't know the particular filters that belkin empowers you with. Because me personally, using netgear. works like a charm.

i hope that helps. if you still have some problems, let us know. we shall see, what can be done. And remember, whatever I said will work only if your network setup, is similar to what i have described in the beginning of the post.

On a more personal note --> what kind tenants don't pay their land lord, the charges incurred for the internet. Is it some mafia chinese gang or what?. i knew the chinese are crazy. Its time to prove that we are more more crazier ;-)
  • safeman
    safeman
    lolz.thanks bro but can u tell me a software because ive jus come to know that 1 of the chinese has a software to limit people(his room mate told my friend and my friend told me) and that he can even block us and he also has a degree or sumthing in computers.i usually download from a place where i get speed like 100 or 200 but nowadays only 20 or 30kb/s.my room mate also knows C programming and he got a software(in chinese language)to limit his speed(we checked out he was gettin more than 100kb/s)but there is no point of doing that as all of us get less internet.my friend has limited every1(except me n him) using that software and v have stooped them using internet between 3 and 5 in the night.even i can get that software(#-Link-Snipped-# i will just be able to limit them not get more internet.i have no probs them using internet its jus that i want d max.

P.S. thanks alot m8 for the info.
  • desijays
    desijays
    safeman, I suggest you use full sentences in your next post. i don't know about the others, but i find it quite hard to understand what it is you are trying to convey. You have too many run-in sentences that seem to leap off from one point to the next with no relevant connection.

I hope you don't mind me pointing that out. The thing is if you let us know what it is you want clearly, we can spend more time cooking up a solution then waste it upon understanding what you are trying to say. 😉

But anyways, from what I infer, you're saying the chinese are able to limit your bandwidth. Let me make this clear. I thought you said you were the one who had access to the gateway machine( router ).

If he is able to use that software to limit your download speeds, does it mean, he too has access to the gateway machine? Because usually, such software needs to be installed on the gateway machine ( in this case, your landlords computer which acts as the server )

If that is not the case then I assure you, that no other software is necessary. You have the hardware that controls the LAN network. In its config page you have all the options necessary to limit the bandwidth to the chinese any way you want...

Like I said, if my understanding of your situation is not bulls eye, please us know.
  • safeman
    safeman
    sorry about that bro. ur right.he doesnt have an access to the gateway but i jus dont know how he does it. like i said before some one told me he also has a degree in computer or something.i dont how he can do it.may b he made up a software or mayb he is doing some programming to stop us.the point i am making is that even i can limit(using my house owners pc) him but like this nobody gets internet.what i want is the internet and show him that he has his indian godfathers in the house.hope u got what i m trying to say.he doesnt know that i know he is limit people. i have limited him to 30kb/s and today morning he was having 30 kb/s download speed.thats how much rubbish he downloads.

P.S. really sorry about my short sentences.ive got hang of the chatting language so my sentences r like that.m tryin to improve othawise this is not gonna help me in universities
  • desijays
    desijays
    @safeman

Mate, if you want you can use the web page config utility provided by your router. Using that, you can do all sorts of things. You can increase the bandwidth for your's and your friends ip and decrease the bandwidth for the chinese or if you're generous, vice versa.

but if you really insist on using some kind of software to limit the speed of the internet to the other guys then i would suggest BWmeter. Google it and try to download it. I'm not sure if its available anymore. I think its abandonware. Make sure you install it on the server or the gateway (landlords computer ).

PEACE
  • safeman
    safeman
    ok thanks mate this info was useful will keep in touch

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well the exam is finally over!! Now as fas as the analysis for this year's exam is concerned, the pattern was all changed and students along with the institutes providing...
The secret question each one of us should ask to ourselves! "How do I plan to be Rich?" Everyone wants to be Rich 😎 ! But how? Is there a...
This post is inspired by Neha's thread about Disk Defragmentator https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458 I remember the old Windows 98 days when improper shutdown would result in the 'Scandisk' program run at next...
Which one is your favorite operating system and any special reason of being favorite? Mine is Windows maybe coz I never used any other.😉
Microsoft introduced portable digital media players i.e. MICROSOFT ZUNES to compete with Apple's I-Pods. Did anyone give a try to Microsoft's product? HOwz it? You can have a look at...