Internet @ 43 Tbps - A New World Record In Data Transmission Has Been Set!

Nothing comes closer to the feeling of happiness and excitement when your Internet connection works at the speeds your ISP promised. We all absolutely love ultra-high speed Internet and we'll now have to thank the researchers at the Technical University of Denmark for achieving a new world record in data transmission. The High-Speed Optical Communications team from DTU Fotonik demonstrated that they could transfer data at the rate of 43 terabits per second using a single laser transmitter. That's whooping 11 Tbps faster than the earlier speed record set by the Germans at the Karlsruhe Institute Of Technology.

However that's not the top achievement of the DTU researchers. They have already achieved data transmission speeds of about 1 Pbps, that is petabits per seconds. The team, however, had to use hundreds of lasers at a time to achieve those speeds. The 43 Tbps speed was achieved using a single laser and a special optic fibre developed by the Japanese communications giant - NTT. The fibre has 7 cores; not just one like in most of the fibre cables. The speciality of this new fibre is that it occupies the same space as that of the standard fibre cable.

data-transmission-record

The new benchmark in the data communication has been set at 43 Tbps. The ever growing global Internet traffic requires a constant upgrade in the hardware infrastructure comprising of high speed transmitters, receivers and the media to carry the signals. It's estimated that the overall Internet growth, worldwide, is about 40% every year. We hope these new developments make it to the mainstream as soon as possible at costs affordable to all of us.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Aditya Deshmukh
    Aditya Deshmukh
    I am thinking how fast I'll ran out of my data pack, if i had a limited one.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    IMAX online

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Looks like the Moto T team did not test the Android 4.4 firmware before releasing it to the masses. A lot of people are reporting problems with their Moto G...
can anyone clear my doubt. will the data deduplication affect cloud data availability?? cloud service providers to manage their storage they are looking for deduplicating their similar content. if they...
Hello,could you suggest any project ideas I can take under network security as a 3rd year IT student ?
I bought Asus DSL N10E, Wireless Router. I have set up it with NO security. Can anyone teach me how to secure it with password (WPA/WPA2 , WPE, whatever!) ?...
i'm going to do my college level project.so i m having some doubts abt the amplifier and its principles..so guys help me to clear my doubts.. 1.can we use an...