International and Indian Teams for Google X-Prize

Here are a few important links for Google X-prize (GXP):

#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

I have been on the GXP foundation forums and found some interesting teams, these actually accept members from anywhere in the world:

1. Team Frednet:
This team is one of the only Open Source competitors, meaning they area accepting people from all over the world. New fresh graduates and even experienced professionals can get involved. The discussions take place online on their forum.

#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#
Team FREDNET: Google Lunar X Prize

โ€‹
2. Team O.S.I.R
From their website:::

"The OSIR Team for Google Lunar X PRIZE, is the only team in the race with no country or university specific like others, which is open to all for participation with 100% fully backed sponsors for the project including air tickets, boarding and lodging for the team members. So we are ready to roll, we only need dedicated and enthusiastic people like you to work with us."

#-Link-Snipped-#

โ€‹
And last but not the least there is one team from India. They haven't registered, but on the GXP forums, one of the members said they are planning for it.

3. Team ONE from India.
Nothing is known about them yet. I have emailed, waiting for info.
READ THIS:: #-Link-Snipped-#
โ€‹
4. Team Chandah
However, there is one Indian Entrpr. who has already registered to GXP, but he doesnt seem to have all the expertiese. Can we provide him with some? ๐Ÿ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#
โ€‹

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Great find, xhx!

If we can organize a small team that can work with them, that would be good publicity for us too ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    xHx, can you get in touch with these teams? I think CE can be a good platform for them to exchange ideas and get technical help (if they want). We've a big amount of fresh blood ( ๐Ÿ˜ ) here.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep.. if we can't beat them, join them *grin*
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    ash
    Yep.. if we can't beat them, join them *grin*
    Yea, lol, thats a good idea.

Joining Frednet is ok, but O.S.R.I.S I think expects the members to actually come there, as they will provide with boarding and all expence paid trips, etc etc.

We can contact Frednet and become members. On the forums our names can be CE.xheavenlyx, and so on.

As for the indian team, I still have to receive their reply. we will see about them.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    xheavenlyx
    We can contact Frednet and become members. On the forums our names can be CE.xheavenlyx, and so on.
    Good idea! ๐Ÿ˜ Good luck with contacting the indian team. At least theres a high probability of some CEans being able to physically contribute!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I just received their email. Will tell the, about us willing to help. Lets see if we can do something.

One of the biggest initial challenges will be good investors.

Biggie, if we have an initial design, the sponsors can be more willing to fund than just a idea in the head. Rite?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice work! When are you going to start the new CE Bot thread, bro? We are eager and waiting ๐Ÿ˜€
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    They are willing to join us. Ash, lol, try deleting the post about, if you cant beat em join em ๐Ÿ˜

Anyway, I am trying to tell him to join CE. I am still getting more details.

They havent found any major investors.
  • lindabourgeois
    lindabourgeois
    I'm the Team Mom for Frednet. Please join us with your ideas and your donations. Fred is a kind, gentle person who is really a genius. Of course, I am biased and I hope this is not advertising. Cheers! We're going to the moon...First.......
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Welcome to Crazy Engineers, Linda! Hopefully we CEans can utilize our minds and lend our expertise to assist your team in achieving that amazing goal ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ice111
    ice111
    Hi All,

I want to know, are here anybody who are members of any team registered in GLXP or given on forum but not registered like Team India or OSIR Team. I want to know their experience so that I can too join any.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ice111
    Hi All,

I want to know, are here anybody who are members of any team registered in GLXP or given on forum but not registered like Team India or OSIR Team. I want to know their experience so that I can too join any.
    Hi ice111, welcome to CE! Why don't you try #-Link-Snipped-# a shot. When you register, please add a "CE." in your nick at the beginning (ie CE.ice111). Good luck!
  • ice111
    ice111
    I heard members are breaking away from Frednet due to inefficient coordination. So I don't think frednet will be good idea.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I wasnt aware of that... but indeed, it is quite hard to efficiently coordinate online, even more so with a large scale project like that!

Thats why me and xheavenlyx are testing out external project pages before fully initiating our own small CE Bot project. Who knows, when we successfully complete the project in time, some Google X team might ask for our help ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • ice111
    ice111
    I sent an email to your second choice i.e. OSIR, and waiting for reply. It seems they are providing air ticket and stay free if you choose to go and work with them or you can work from home and still be member. Looks like they have lots of surplus funds.

PS. when i visited on xheavenlyx given link, its given that they have new site on #-Link-Snipped-#

Ash I want to know how many members are in constant contact, so we think on making robot.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What do you think about making the CE Bot instead? I think its a more reachable target for us CEans. Perhaps it's the opportunity cost to the GLXP, but it'll benefit CE more in the long run ๐Ÿ˜€

Once we have successfully completed a project, then we can move on to other avenues. There are always upcoming engineering competitions we can join in the future as a team of Crazy Engineers ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ice111
    ice111
    ash
    What do you think about making the CE Bot instead? I think its a more reachable target for us CEans. Perhaps it's the opportunity cost to the GLXP, but it'll benefit CE more in the long run ๐Ÿ˜€

Once we have successfully completed a project, then we can move on to other avenues. There are always upcoming engineering competitions we can join in the future as a team of Crazy Engineers ๐Ÿ˜€

Well I dot not have any problem for CE Bot and I can help you guys a lot in that matter too. But where and how to make one.

I don't think GLXP bot is not reachable either.

No offense but Ash I don't think also that other such opportunity can come sooner like GLXP. Its not a on the corner available engineering competition. I believe its life time opportunity to make a mark in the history to be in the team who sent first private bot.

I strongly feel we CEans should go for the GLXP.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Haha, none taken ๐Ÿ˜‰ I understand what you mean. Indeed, this is an amazing opportunity. If we had more active members, it would be quite nice to set up a team to join one of the teams xheavenlyx as seeked out. What a way to represent CE too ๐Ÿ˜€

But without active members, we are pretty limited in our options. There was talk earlier than the indian team will join us, but I'm not sure of that status. Perhaps we can wait for xheavenlyx to share his thoughts.

If you browse the previous projects in CE, you'll see there were a lot of projects that end up stagnant. Its a shame as all the good discussions could have potentially ended up with with the finished thing. We felt that this needed to be addressed somehow. With the CE Bot, it can point us to the right direction on how to properly collaborate online and offline ๐Ÿ˜€ I have to admit, we modelled the CE Bot with somewhat parallel objectives, perhaps in the hopes we could use the ideas/experience/skills so it can be implemented in GXLP. Even so, if nothing happens with us joining the GXLP, theres still something to fall back upon.

Of course, I'm not the sole spokesperson for the whole of CE. CEans, what do you you guys think? How many of you be fully committed to a project like GXLP? ๐Ÿ˜€ ice111, why don't you get more of your friends joining us too?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, let's not worry about 'few members' thing. Good leaders will attract good followers. Let's keep doing the good job and members who are truely interested will join us.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Well said biggie. What work have you done and what needs to be done?? I am ready to join if you will take me in the team for the project.
    And mind you i will attract a lot of female members for the team ;-) ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ya know, all you need to do is post something in the CE Bot discussion thread to be in the team ๐Ÿ˜‰

Its only how active you are in the thread that will depend on what types of tasks you'll be assigned, I believe. So dont forget to post there ๐Ÿ˜€ See the link in my sig.
  • ice111
    ice111
    ash
    Of course, I'm not the sole spokesperson for the whole of CE. CEans, what do you you guys think? How many of you be fully committed to a project like GXLP? ๐Ÿ˜€ ice111, why don't you get more of your friends joining us too?
    Ash I think you should issue a notification to all forum members to know who are interested in GLXP, because just asking are you interested in a thread, will not get attention of any one as not everyone is seeing the same post. It should me more like a notification or a banner on CE.

Ash im just the member I can only suggest you but you need to market if you need to sell your idea. No one knows until you advertise even if you are giving BMW for free ๐Ÿ˜€.

This is to update to my previous post, letter to OSIR. I got the reply from their PR dept., they confirmed that we have option to opt for free ticket and stay at their final assembly place or can work from home and participate remotely and still be counted as member of the team.

I think we CEans should cut a deal with OSIR to work jointly as we have talent what they need and they have resources what we need.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, that was the original plan. xheavenlyx was in contact with them regarding any deal. Let's wait what final details xhx got ๐Ÿ˜€

Regarding the notification of GXLP, Big K's thread original thread here (#-Link-Snipped-#) is hopefully clear enough. If not, Biggie, what do you think of the banner? I don't remember we had one for the CE-Tee competition, but we still had so much response.

While we wait, why don't you drop by the CE Bot thread. Whatever we discuss there can be implemented in in GXLP. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

[EDIT] I just remembered, xhx is kinda busy with his presentations and thesis work at the moment. I'll give him a buzz and see if we can continue with our correspondence with OSIR.

I have to confess, my enthusiasm may have died down for GXLP due to the lack of responses. Thanks for sparking it again, bro ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, do you want a banner on the Front page? Llet me know.

[Sorry fellas, I'm little too busy ๐Ÿ˜” these days, and past few weeks. I'll be back once I'm settled down. Ash, you know what I'm saying, don't you? ]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yea, that would be good!

Haha, I sure do. Hope you have minimal problems settling in, bro.
  • ice111
    ice111
    Hi Ash,

I have noticed, till now no banner for GLXP.

I also want to know did xheavenlyx resumed meeting with #-Link-Snipped-# or should I talk? If so then then send me PM, what should I speak with them. I do not want they close their intake for new members as time passing by, race is heating up.

Hae did u noticed their library collection #-Link-Snipped-#, man atleast $200K worth reference books.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Hey guys, its nice seeing the responses now, and I think slowly we are getting active members.

Go here for eligibility information: #-Link-Snipped-#

and if anyone has a good proposal please post it here as soon as you can. I would not have time to write it properly. A few things you can write about:

1. We are working as a team, and we will provide certain fields of expertise.
    2. If they can tell us their current status on how how many members they already have.
    3. (Anything else you can add from your side or other CE members Ash? Biggie??)
  • ice111
    ice111
    Hi xheavenlyx,

Other things we can add is like:

3) If the OSIR won the GLXP contest, will they share the prize money with the team contributers like CEans.

4) How OSIR will manage multinational team. Like I want to know how they will allot work or manage activities of all team members, when every one is living in different places. :sshhh: On personal note its interesting to know their concept of team management, as if OSIR is successful, then many such projects can be done.

5) Who is eligible for getting sponsored boarding, lodging and air ticket from them for the project. ๐Ÿ˜ I like that part.

Did you see the #-Link-Snipped-# it is similar to google legacy but atleast OSIR is not charging $10 like google. And a very interesting thing for universities is #-Link-Snipped-#. I think OSIR is only providing this facility upto now, in all other GLXP teams.

I don't know why but Asian students are very slow moving, although I'm too from here :sshhh:. We should become now active and do some thing rather do endless discussion until some one make its mark and achieve the goal. Then again we sit and discuss to say the winner could have done like this or that and have won in a better way than now. In the end of the discussion we will decide that we thought this before and can have done better than the winner.

Wake up guys! No plan is good idea if it was not executed. Even if we fail, it is better to be be know as formidable competitors. Than sitting in pavilion with popcorn watching IPL.

- Ice
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Regarding the prize money, the 30 mils would not probably cover the costs involved in this project. The main thing is the recognition and experience that will gain from this ๐Ÿ˜€

And by the way.. Asian students may be slow, but Asian engineering students are probably just busy with other stuff ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll think more about the proposal this weekend, when I'm more free.. after adding stuff in the CE Bot project *ahem*
  • ice111
    ice111
    ash
    Regarding the prize money, the 30 mils would not probably cover the costs involved in this project. The main thing is the recognition and experience that will gain from this ๐Ÿ˜€

And by the way.. Asian students may be slow, but Asian engineering students are probably just busy with other stuff ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'll think more about the proposal this weekend, when I'm more free.. after adding stuff in the CE Bot project *ahem*
    In place of countering what I say its better we move ahead with the actual topic and put some valuable inputs to negotiate with OSIR. Hardly 2 or 3 people are here talking on the issue and still no marketing for the concept. As I say before, we will be still discussing here, and others will land on the moon.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Regardless, we still need some proposal to send to OSIR. Sorry, I was supposed to do it tonight, but I got caught up trying to fix openSUSE problems on my laptop!

If indeed others land in the moon, we crazy engineers will land among the stars *grin* ok, possible misuse of the quote, but may still apply! haha
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    ice111, one reason we arent (or I arent) very enthusiastic is because:

1. They are multinational and will have many proposals from prospects wanting to join them for GLXP.

2. Considering this is a huge project where 10 - 20 million is the basic cost for a launch (including everything except the rover), I really dont know how OSIR will micro-manage the project. They havent given details of it on their website.

3. I am busy, Ash is busy, and you did add good points to the draft proposal, so we will polish it and email it to them as soon as possible to see what happens.

4. We as a CE team will not ask for boarding, we will work overseas. If you personally have good ideas and want to join them, you can and should take part and go there.

5. Write a full draft and PM it to me and ash for a check. If you too do not have time, then lets have a cuppa tea and relax for a while.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *sips a cup of tea* ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Okay, here is something I cooked up. Still got a long way to go though. I've written some comments inside.

RE: Proposal for joint participation between O.S.I.R International and Crazy Engineers
    Dear Sir/Madam,
    We'd like to thank you for taking the time for reading this proposal. In light of the Google Lunar X Prize competition, we believe a joint participation between OSIR and Crazy Engineers can help propell the project to a great success. (Intro needs to be jazzed up more)

Established by Mr Kaustubh on November 2005, Crazy Engineers has grown exponentially to a formidable engineering portal. It consists of members of different engineering disciplines, who range from the University students with fresh ideas to working Professionals with vast experience. This melting pot of unique minds allows us to have interesting discussions and solve a wide range of problems throughout the engineering world. (We'll keep the info about CE short, since we want to focus on the GLXP )

The Google X Lunar Competition is a good opportunity for us as it requires a multitude of engineering skills. We can assist OSIR and consult in technical aspects of the design of the Lunar rover. This includes, but not limited to:
    - Mechanical Design
    - Electrical Design
    - Programming & Interfacing
    - Sensors & Image Processing
    - Communications

For efficient collaboration, we can assign a few members as representatives of Crazy Engineers to liason directly with OSIR. A section on the Crazy Engineers forum can be specifically set up to open up discussions to all members regarding the Lunar rover.
    Hopefully you will consider this cooperation. If indeed a joint effort is possible, we can further discuss more details on how both OSIR and Crazy Engineers can collaborate effectively. (Here's where I'm not sure about. We don't want to send them too much info for them to digest. But then again, we still need to consider xheavenlyx's point about other teams sending in their proposals. Ours has to be damn good).

Please do not hesitate to contact us for more queries and information.
    Yours Sincerely,
    Mr Engineer
    Okay, perhaps is kinda foolhardy to post this where anyone in the world can see, but this is far from the complete proposal. If you guys can work on it more, please PM the draft to xheavenlyx or me ๐Ÿ˜€

By the way ice111. As much as you wanted CE to join the GLXP, you've hardly introduced yourself here! The active people have long introduced themselves, so perhaps you can head over to the Introductions section, and start a thread about thyself ๐Ÿ˜€
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    *stares at the screen*...WOW!

You ARE fast!

I will read this over, but you have done an awesome job already. Do we need to add anything further. I dont think so. Let some members read it through here then we will send it. Usually it needs to be short and concise as well giving important info to them, you have done that well, if they need more they will ask for it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *grin*

xhx, maybe should just send that proposal soon. No one is really responding to it here.. maybe cause its good enough already? (haha, wishful thinking!) If you want, i'll try adding/changing some bits and send another draft to you for final editing purposes. This weekend, yea? No point in delaying it further ๐Ÿ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I announce the building of a team for the Google Lunar X. I have talked to a few of my college mates and they are all interested. This is to call on the CE members who are interested in robotics and I know many are seeing the number of posts we have for the CE bot project. I do not wish to make an Indian team or a CE team. Lets make it an international team. In the mean while, will right a project report. I will be thankful to anyone wishing to help me make it. After that I hope to go hunting for sponsors. It is difficult but I will still give it a shot. Man whats the point of working for some other team, we have engineers, we have knowledge, let us make our own team.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I still can't get over the OSIR thing. Oh how we were fooled!

I thought a CE Team is an international team already? We've got the forum set up already.. so its quite easy to register here. Just my thoughts, though ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • africandream
    africandream
    Do they have any contest based on real time issues. How easy is the procedure.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    africandream
    Do they have any contest based on real time issues. How easy is the procedure.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "real time" issues? Do you mean things like jitter and latency in communications?

Since this thread was bumped, here's something interesting to note. The Indian government, with cooperation with Russia, plans to launch a moon rover around 2011-2012. The mission is called Chandrayaan-II.

Click: #-Link-Snipped-#

This mission will complement Chandrayaan-I's mission, a lunar orbiter, set to be launched next month or so. Aren't the CEans in India excited? Makre sure you guys take some launch vids yea? Good to see initiatives from other countries!
  • africandream
    africandream
    I was asked to join a team, but declined because I would have to leave my employment in order to do so. That team never materialized.
  • docel
    docel
    africandream
    I was asked to join a team, but declined because I would have to leave my employment in order to do so. That team never materialized.
    Sad, but these things happen , with many bogus/fly-by-nights with a lot of personal interests.....they appear , talk big and disappear into the void !!
    There must be some credibility in this, but the Internet is abuzz with weird content and offers ;-) it's difficult to gauge people.

Most Indian students don't do much, as a matter of fact, basically because of wrong guidance and mismanagement. This is the unfortunate result of the belief and the undue importance of Academics alone as a career maker. Students spend 3/4th of their lives at Tutions, when they should be developing extra skills and personal achievements ๐Ÿ˜”
    This is, ofcourse, changing in the present times and needs to change more!

There is no dearth of Sponsors here. The key to this is the pre-requisites ( personal achievements) as proof of ones capability. No sponsor is a mind reader and can never really decide if their money is rightly used, unless they are convinced otherwise.
    There are a lot of stories that lack the truth where students of popular Institutions "claim" empty achievements - some of them in the national media!!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I second your thoughts Docel! You have said it pretty clearly that students spend 3/4th of their time on tuitions, and no or very little creative skills. This needs to change, and we at CE may have to throw in some ideas to do just that.
  • docel
    docel
    Sure, XheavenlyX !!!
    ......been doing that since a long time , too.
    Let's change that!!!

HAppy DEEPAVALI to you and , to every one on this Forum!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Docel, as far as my best guest goes, you have been building robots in Bangalore. Could you help us with the fabrication of the bot?
  • docel
    docel
    ๐Ÿ˜ Well.........I offered to, LONG back.....!!!

@ the CEBOTII Forum !

Be glad to!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This is just super. The Google x prize looks way beyond reach (as of now ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) but we can surely do something on the CE Bot front

[Sorry if I went off-topic ]
  • docel
    docel
    X-Prize:: Why???
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Cost of Launch and fabrication Funding. 2 main tihngs. We might have all the brains, but no money (less money is better) ๐Ÿ˜€

However, after CE Bot we may have a base..to let investors know that we are capable of doing something so they should have no trouble funding us.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    This is just super. The Google x prize looks way beyond reach (as of now ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) but we can surely do something on the CE Bot front

[Sorry if I went off-topic ]
    No you are right biggi..It make sense to start with short term goals.

-๐Ÿ˜ Crazy
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, we better make the CE Bot kick butt then!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Hm, we better make the CE Bot kick butt then!!!

Come on. We never had other options. Its CE, its gotta kick b.u.t.t.
  • docel
    docel
    So, when would the kicking start........??
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    The biggest problem is we all are dispersed ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    bayazidahmed
    The biggest problem is we all are dispersed ๐Ÿ˜”
    Yea, that is a big issue. We can compensate by having CEans who live in close proximity (like in India) working together for any hardware aspects, while the rest of us can still contribute in software, ideas and design.

Im not sure if it was mentioned already, but there are lots of other "space" prizes other than the GXLP:
    Space Prizes

Theres a list on the right. Its worth looking at ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The country from which we get most active contributors should be the preferred one. Once we have CE HQ ( ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) we will have central place to work on all the projects.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I nominate the CE HQ to be in India!

Stats prove that most contributions on CE come from there *grin*

Is it too early to plan on that?

And, we can liaise with Docel's Bangalore Robotics too perhaps?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, we can partner with the local robotics clubs. IIT Bombay has Robotics club. We may get in touch with them. Can we have volunteers to help us with the tie-ups?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to installed c++ software in my computer. Can anyone tell me from where i can download it free and which version will run on xp tks
We use transformer to decrease current and increase voltage at the time of transmitting the AC power to homes, industries etc so that the loss of power due to current...
glad to be a member but my only query is that- will i be able to access the replies posted by others for their doubts and problems??? if so, then...
Greeting Fellow Crazy Engineers, Myself Adil from Kerala,Indial.Final year mechanical engineering student. Myself and 4 others have ventured to do a robotics project The concept is simple fix a wireless...
hey guys ,i want some good study material on HVDC tranmission- mention some sites.