Internal HD to external HD conversion ?

Hello CEan's,

I am having an old internal hard drive. I want to convert it into external HD now. Is it possible? If yes, please tell me the procedure. I dont want to search google for this because all of us are engineers and many people here must have tried it. So i want your opinion and conversion procedure !

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As I guess it, you want to physically remove the old internal hard drive and use it as an external HD. I'm also guessing that you want to transfer data to it via USB. I think you better get a new external storage device as the normal HDDs are subject to physical damages. I've lost a HDD in the past.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    converting to external drive is very easy. You need to buy an external hard drive casing for that. Take care about the following points :
    1] there are 2 types of hard disk casings depending on the size of the disk. The one we use in the desptop pc is 3.5" (inches) and the ones we use in laptop is 2.5". I would assume that you want to convert an internal hard disk from your desktop pc so you need to buy a 3.5" casing for your disk.

2] it is again subdivided into 2 types based on the connectivity the drive uses. Old disks will typically have the IDE/PATA interface(I assume this is yours) while the newer disks have the SATA interface.
    Thus you need to make sure you get the one according to the type of your disk.

3] basic 3.5" ones for PATA/SATA come for 450/650 rs respectively. While branded ones from Iball, Transcend, Iomega, Lacie etc can cost anywhere in the range of rs 1200 and upwards. The basic ones like intex too come with a 1 year warranty so you decide which one you would want to buy. The branded ones may/may not come with extra features so you need to check on that too.

remember, all you need is a 3.5"(assumed) hard disk case with USB to PATA interface(assumed)

p.s.: very old drives are not too good for carrying around as bumping them around could cause bad sectors and eventually data loss. But if the disk is just lying around and you want to use it for backup purposes w/o much carrying around then its fine to use it.
    Newer drives are much better protected(even the internal series ones) against bumps and they can be perfectly used for converting them into external drives.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    The_Big_K
    As I guess it, you want to physically remove the old internal hard drive and use it as an external HD. I'm also guessing that you want to transfer data to it via USB. I think you better get a new external storage device as the normal HDDs are subject to physical damages. I've lost a HDD in the past.
    Hey The_Big_K , what all you said is absolutely true. I wanted to know the samething. I am already having 500GB Segate external HD. I have got 80GB of internal HD space in my system and i also have a old CPU with 4.13GB HD 😛. I am trying to convert that 4.13GB HD to external. Sounds crazy right? Its 4.13GB only but i dont want to throw it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd configure it as a slave storage and use it to backup not-very-important files.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    ursplfrnd
    Hey The_Big_K , what all you said is absolutely true. I wanted to know the samething. I am already having 500GB Segate external HD. I have got 80GB of internal HD space in my system and i also have a old CPU with 4.13GB HD 😛. I am trying to convert that 4.13GB HD to external. Sounds crazy right? Its 4.13GB only but i dont want to throw it.
    buying a external casing will cost u at least rs 450. won't it be more convenient to use a 4gb pendrive costing about 300-325 rs than carrying that bulky unreliable(since its very very old) disk!

for the 4 gb disk , do as biggie mentioned. Connect it to ur motherboard and use it as ur secondary/slave drive.

but go for the external casing if u have more disks with u. U can always switch between the disks as required.
  • ursplfrnd
    ursplfrnd
    Hey thanks for your explanation and suggestion !

optimystix
    buying a external casing will cost u at least rs 450. won't it be more convenient to use a 4gb pendrive costing about 300-325 rs than carrying that bulky unreliable(since its very very old) disk!

for the 4 gb disk , do as biggie mentioned. Connect it to ur motherboard and use it as ur secondary/slave drive.

but go for the external casing if u have more disks with u. U can always switch between the disks as required.

Connecting it to slave slot is a better idea then. Thanks optimystix and The_Big_K .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I hope all CEans would participate in this😀 Let's continue this poem. Post as many lines you want😀 CE is like an angel…. It guides every CEan. CE is like...
Hi all.. Nice seeing u all here. Thanks for a wonderful forum. Myself saikiran. I am in need of quick solution to our project. we r doing condition monitoring of...
Currently the 2011 New York Auto Show is probably the most happening place to be at and justifying it are the next generation models of many existing cars being showcased....
Hello friend's, As we know our browser does not provide direct accessing of system files due to the security reason.Even applet does not provide direct accessing of system files due...
Tata Motors has struggled hard to promote Tata Aria MPV, the first India crossover car. So far, the sales of Aria in India have not been impressive, the main reason...