Instruction cache memory VS data cache memory

Hello everyone,
which is bigger normally : the instruction cache memory or the data cache memory? (Say for level 1 cache for example)

Replies

• rukawa
    rukawa
    Can somebody please answer me?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    L1 cache for both Data and Instructions are of same size.
  • J Biswas
    J Biswas
    CISC or RISC ??? Which you you need the answer for?
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    J Biswas
    CISC or RISC ??? Which you you need the answer for?
    RISC and CISC if possible
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    [Prototype]
    L1 cache for both Data and Instructions are of same size.
    Thanks for your answer
  • J Biswas
    J Biswas
    In RISC DC blocks are nearly 8 to 16 times (or even) more than IC blocks. This helps in single cycle instructions. The Level1 register set, for DC is almost similar or sometimes more than IC blocks in CISC processors. Architecture in CISC chosen, governs.

- JB -
  • rukawa
    rukawa
    J Biswas
    In RISC DC blocks are nearly 8 to 16 times (or even) more than IC blocks. This helps in single cycle instructions. The Level1 register set, for DC is almost similar or sometimes more than IC blocks in CISC processors. Architecture in CISC chosen, governs.

- JB -
    Thank you. Do you know some articles or books which talk about cache performance?
  • J Biswas
    J Biswas
    Not quite sure of market available text / design books dear, I never read any myself........we did L2 and L3 cache designs at Intel and AMD long time back. My knowledge is restricted only to a few processor families. I learnt from those company's architecture books.
    L1 register designs are controlled solely on the processor feature listing (speed, calc. capacity, opcode movements, machine cycle restrictions etc.) and usage. Different processors have different architectures.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The LINE messaging app claims that it has 310 million users worldwide and soon more users will start using the Japanese messaging app but they won’t be humans, they shall...
Hi folks, I have recently started an organization based in Mumbai, this time around, its an IT-Services firm squarely based on web technologies (although we do native apps and enterprise...
I've been receiving SMS from a social organisation I was once associated with. The organisation keeps on sending their promotional / event messages on my phone via their short-code or...
With the growing influence of social networking websites, especially Facebook, I find a surprising trend these days - the 'Likes' are being taken very seriously! An Indian minister has filed...
guys i want to change the defination of automobile engineering,i want to tell this world we are depend on book rule we always changes the rule of book to give...