Innovative motorcycle theft alert & tracking using GPS & alarms

The idea comes from a kickstarter project called Lock8. I think this could be an interesting project to for engineering third and final year/sem students. The project would involve developing a smart alert system using GPS and alarms to scare off the thieves.

The system would involve a tiny device equipped with GPS transmitter and loud-speakers. The entire assembly can be powered by two AA batteries. Whenever the device is in 'on' mode, the system would detect any theft attempt and set the alarms into action. If the alarms are made optional, the GPS module will send the latest location information of the bike to the app installed on the mobile phone.

I think the system can definitely be developed with a tiny budget. Definitely worth a try. If anyone wants to discuss this project in depth, feel free to add your ideas and start drawing circuit diagrams and making cost estimates.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Lock8 is fully featured security device. I have planned long back with GPS and GSM to track my own bike. 😉

Really if anybody wants to make similar security lock it will not cost you more. Yeah, about the mobile application that may need more time if you want to integrate your hardware with mobile notification and all.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sir,
    How would you try to identify a theft act and how can the device act according to it.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Sir,
    How would you try to identify a theft act and how can the device act according to it.
    Well, You can put some vibration sensor, Temperature sensor like they have done in Lock8. Using that you can detect if there is any theft attack or not.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    If it is come in to retail market. The theif will alert & find an idea to deactivate all these things. Some days before in youtube i had seen the theif can took (pulsar bike) 10 seconds to break the side lock & switch on the engine. He drove like his own bike.

My questions are
    1. After getting alert from Lock8, We cant catch the thief instantly. Because he took only 10 seconds.
    2. Will he able to disable the GPS?
    Please Correct me if i am wrong.
    Harshad Italiya
    Well, You can put some vibration sensor, Temperature sensor like they have done in Lock8. Using that you can detect if there is any theft attack or not.
    How does a temperature sensor helps here?
    I agree that vibration sensor helps us but how come the temp sensor ?
    KSS manian
    If it is come in to retail market. The theif will alert & find an idea to deactivate all these things. Some days before in youtube i had seen the theif can took (pulsar bike) 10 seconds to break the side lock & switch on the engine. He drove like his own bike.

My questions are
    1. After getting alert from Lock8, We cant catch the thief instantly. Because he took only 10 seconds.
    Yes i agree to you.so the company designing security must take care of hacking possibilities and they must recruit ethical hackers to fight high tech thieves .
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    KSS manian

My questions are
    There are always way to overcome all the feature you put for security but here if you imagine normal case it is not that much easy to get bicycle and run away.
    You can not say this will protect your bicycle 100% but chances for theft can be reduced for sure.

SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    How does a temperature sensor helps here?
    I agree that vibration sensor helps us but how come the temp sensor ?
    Temperature sensor will keep measuring temperature and if thief is using fire or gas cutter it will sense sudden change in temperature and that will be used for detection.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE DETAILS ABOUT THE IMPORTANT ROLES PLAYED BY MECHANICAL ENGINEERING IN THE FIELD OF SPACE,ASTRONOMICAL RESEARCH.CAN ANYBODY HELP ME TO WRITE AN ARTICLE ON THIS ISSUE.
Is campus interview is better for a fresher's to get a experience...?please any one brief that...?
Dear all, MLDB panel is just used for controlling lighting and normal load,if i m not wrong,thn y does it costs so much...and inspite of it..u can just check in...
there is a lot of questions arises when think about mobile...?is there is a way to charge a mobile phone using sound energy that is when speaking..?it is possible to...
Reading about India's upcoming ambitious Mars mission, I discovered that ISRO and Indian Government is spending over Rs. 450 crore to send a satellite to orbit mars. What's more shocking...