Innovation in glass manufacturing.

Dear all,
I saw a report of analysis of paddy straw ash, and I saw that silica forms some 59percent of ash. I have heard the usage of silica in glass manufacturing. A thought struck in my mind. Can paddy straw ash be used in glass manufacturing? Please let me know. Has anybody succeeded in doing this? If yes, please let me know about that too.
Thanks for your support.

Replies

• Alexan
    Alexan
    Re: Innovation in glass anufacturing.

sio2? What rest chemicals there?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    We carried out a chemical analysis in a lab and we got the following result.
    Ash Analysis---Rice straw

Silica( SiO2)---69.62
    Sulphates( SO3)---3.74
    Lime( CaO)---4.11
    Magnesia( MgO)---3.56
    Iron( Fe2O3)---0.28
    Alumina( Al2O3)---0.52
    Soda( Na2O)---2.45
    Potash(K2O)---13.88
    Titanium( TiO2)---0.15
    Chloride( Cl)---0.04
    Phosphorus( P2O5)---1.40

PS- I am really sorry for this late reply.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sand is the cheapest source for silica. If paddy ash is available at no cost, then it may be worthwhile to consider. Even then handling and supply chain problems will remain.
    Bioramani
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The cost of ash is very low, as it is a nuisance and it poses a lot of environmental problems in disposal. It can be packed and transported just like cement.
    If the problems of cost and transportation are solved, can it be made useful?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    aj_onduty
    The cost of ash is very low, as it is a nuisance and it poses a lot of environmental problems in disposal. It can be packed and transported just like cement.
    If the problems of cost and transportation are solved, can it be made useful?
    When old coal (anthracite) is burnt it produces a Pozzalona ash, which can replace a portion of cement in concrete. It turns out (See link) rice husk ash is also that way. So you are more right than you think. It can be packed and transported like cement but used as cement.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Bioramani
  • jaxrobinson
    jaxrobinson
    Oh actually sand is a great source of silica.You should get as much silica as you want from sand and worry about rest of the chemicals.From there you can think of glass manufacturing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Workshop program happening every week Saturday on PHP, Perl, Python, MySQL and CMS Technologies like Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress. For More Detail Pls visit Website
Hey all, Could someone explain miller compensation of a two stage opam.I am not able to understand about the pole splitting😒 Thanks Cheers, cranky
hi friends as we all know computer is a allienment of electronic circuits but we also know virus effect computer running finally my doubt is if it only contain electronic...
1. Is it possible for me to do M.tech after B.E? If yes then which is better M.Tech or M.E? 2. What will be the syllabus if I choose computer...
Hello friends, Just watched PayCheck.In that movie a hardware virus is there which will be included in hardware in order to affect the system. I want to know something about...