Innovation in Cycle Rickshaw design

Let's brainstorm on this one. I came across an old guy who was pulling his cycle rickshaw because he had no energy to peddle. I started thinking if we could modify the rickshaw to make it better.

Those who do not know about cycle rickshaws, please visit this Wikipedia link:-

Cycle Rickshaw

I don't see any innovation happening for the common man. Maybe we could do something.

[PS: Mechanical engineering students: You could very well take it as your final year project]

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    There are many ideas. I had researched on it and prepared a presentation. While researching I found out about velotaxis used in Europe. You can even find videos in You tube about them. They are made of fiber glass body and hence are extremely light. An all covered body, so there is a lot of protection from rain, dust etc. They have multi speed gears, therefore it is easy for the driver to peddle at faster speed with ease for a long time.
    Hydraulic brakes ensure that the breaking is good. Due to low design it is easy for people with some disability or old people with knee problem to get in and out easily. It also ensures that the vehicle won't topple which is a very high possibility with those found here in India.
    The fiber glass body is streamline. The peddles are at a comfortable position for the driver and the force needed is quite less.
    Lots of companies paint their advertisements on the body of the cycle. This gives the owner of the cycles extra money when they rent space on their cycles to these companies. Its a win-win-win-win situation for the environment(no pollutio), companies(they get a moving advertisement board), driver/owner(extra rent from advertisements, less fatigue more income), passenger(cheap, respectable speed of around 15-20kmph).
    Now if we just hybrid it with a motor with rechargeable solar batteries the speed might increase to around 30 - 35 kmph. A solar panel can be fitted on the top of the vehicle.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I see. Could you share the presentation (if not all, the findings of your observations) with all of us?
  • kingsly
    kingsly
    yes raj... why dont u share some of ur obseravations
  • gohm
    gohm
    Are you looking for ideas like those little gas motors that assist by turning the back wheel?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm a kid when it comes to mechanical engineering, but I was thinking if including a flywheel in the whole setup would help?

...or would it just add to the weight of the rickshaw?
  • gohm
    gohm
    yeah, I think a flywheel would hurt more than help. Other than some sort of motorized assisted power, the next benefit would be using composites to lighten the rickshaw both frame and wheels. That however it make the cost of the unit out of reach of most owners =(. Assuring correct gear ratios, good bearings and a correctly tightened chain would also help a bit. Incorporating the siting style of bike would allow the driver more comfort and ability to use more leg power. It would also cut back on wind resistance.
  • pillai
    pillai
    I have very innovative ideas to reduce driving fatigue & increase driving comfort - no engines,motors,gears,etc.Only good mechanical design.
    I want financial support to develop & test a prototype at the Indian Institute of Technology,Bombay,in a transparent,professional manner.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pillai -

Would you like to share your ideas on CE Forums, or give this thread a new direction?

You should get in touch with IITB immediately.
  • pillai
    pillai
    Briefly,better wheel to ground reaction,better seating with a backrest,longer,differently designed pedals for greater leverage......and a few more changes.Pillai.
  • rickshawala
    rickshawala
    Pillai,
    Have you made any progress with IITB at all. If not, are you still pursuing this?
  • rickshawala
    rickshawala
    TheBigK,
    Did Raj share his ideas or presentations with anyone?
    So far, I see some discussions, but no specific proposal.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Quite an old thread bumped!

Well, I don't think we intended to make a proposal. However, I don't deny that this can be a very good CE Project in future. How can you help, rickshawala?
  • pillai
    pillai
    Rickshawala,
    I had a preliminary discussion with Prof Bapat,IDC,IIT,Mumbai.They are willing to take it up & I am very much interested.
    Funding the project .....
    Pillai.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    pillai
    Rickshawala,
    I had a preliminary discussion with Prof Bapat,IDC,IIT,Mumbai.They are willing to take it up & I am very much interested.
    Pillai.
    That's a great news. Pillai, could you please keep us all posted?
  • Differential
    Differential
    The idea seems nice and useful in common man's life ! 😀
  • shafi.vs
    shafi.vs
    Hey boss....
    U hav got some innovative idea,which would help the common man of India.

I request you to post a topic for the Mini Project in the Sixt Semester,as i am doing B.Tech Mechanical.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    shafi.vs
    Hey boss....
    U hav got some innovative idea,which would help the common man of India.

I request you to post a topic for the Mini Project in the Sixt Semester,as i am doing B.Tech Mechanical.
    Do you have any ideas of your own? An idea is already being discussed in this thread. Look for project topics in the projects section. Better still, try to stress your brain and think of a project.
  • vfugue
    vfugue
    Pillai,
    How is the rickshaw design project coming along, did IITB pursue in the end? It would be a shame to let this initiative fade...if this thread is over and/ feel free to send me a private msg (I think you can do that)?
    Best - vfugue
  • Basher
    Basher
    pillai
    Rickshawala,
    Pillai.
    hey bro, did you complete your research on the innovation on cycle rickshaw.i need to talk to you about the project.I've taken it as my final year project.
  • rajevnaik
    rajevnaik
    I HAVE DEVELOPED NEW DRIVING MECHANISM FOR BICYCLE/RICKSHAW HAVING FOLLOWING ADVANTAGES OVER CONVENTIONAL SYSTEM.

I AM READY TO SELL THE INVENTION ALONG WITH PATENT RIGHTS / COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT & SELLING RIGHTS ON MUTUALLY AGREED TERMS & CONDITIONS.

IN CASE YOUR COMPANY IS INTERESTED, PL. CONTACT ME. MY MOBILE NO. IS +919424140739.

ADVANTAGES OF NEW DRIVING MECHANISM

BY- R. P. NAIK

1. Both legs can drive simultaneously: Due to independent nature of driving both of the legs can be utilised for driving simultaneously whenever required. This will help in dead start or accelerating with high load at step gradients or rough tar rain etc.

2. Continuous driving torque: The driving force on the rear wheel (s) will be a continuous one. As soon as a leg finishes its driving stroke the other leg will start its driving stroke and hence virtually there will be no time of zero torque.

3. More force than driver’s weight can be applied without fatigue: The backrest provided will give support to driver in such a way that by utilizing reaction from backrest, the driver can put on force more than his own weight whenever required.

4. No stress in portion above the waist: Due to same backrest, there will be no stress developed above the waist and back pen and hand tension will be eliminated.

5. More angle turned by thighs & knees ensure more force available when required: Due to position of seat and paddle, the angle turned through by thigh and knee for any stroke of driving will be more than corresponding angle in case of ordinary cycle (rickshaw) hence there will be more work done available per driving stroke of the paddle.

6. Crippled persons can use their able leg: The same system of driving can be utilised for handicapped person’s tricycles. In these, the handicapped person can use his able leg along with his hand for driving the tricycle. If the amputation of a leg is below the knee; than he can use even his stump as well as his able leg for driving with the help of suitable padding and paddle modification.

7. Easy adaptability for existing manufacturers: Once this system proves its utility and is accepted for increased speed /load carrying capacity of rickshaw, the existing cycles or rickshaw manufactures can easily convert to this design without altering many of their facilities.

8. Gear arrangements: Suitable gear arrangements will enhance speed / load carrying capabilities tremendously.

Graphical comparison of torque from existing & new driving system is available at "#-Link-Snipped-#".
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Can you please format your post? You are not supposed to use bold or ALL CAPS frequently. Don't you know the forum rules? And you don't even have a proper introduction... 😔
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Please use proper formatting. Why not share a few details of your project so that we all know what you're up to. We usually remove ads but, we'll keep yours as it looks promising 😀
  • rajevnaik
    rajevnaik
    I had joined & posted without any reading about rules etc since I came across this site only yesterday. I shall format it. Details required for raising curiosity have been given but rest of the information can be provided only to interested developers who can come to an agreement with me for future strategy about joint patenting etc. The main purpose is that I want to bring this idea before masses at the earliest with some interested manufacturer.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    rajevnaik
    I had joined & posted without any reading about rules etc since I came across this site only yesterday. I shall format it. Details required for raising curiosity have been given but rest of the information can be provided only to interested developers who can come to an agreement with me for future strategy about joint patenting etc. The main purpose is that I want to bring this idea before masses at the earliest with some interested manufacturer.
    Buddy, still you haven't given an introduction... Start a thread here: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • rajevnaik
    rajevnaik
    I HAVE DEVELOPED NEW DRIVING MECHANISM FOR BICYCLE/RICKSHAW HAVING FOLLOWING ADVANTAGES OVER CONVENTIONAL SYSTEM.

I AM READY TO SELL THE INVENTION ALONG WITH PATENT RIGHTS / COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT & SELLING RIGHTS ON MUTUALLY AGREED TERMS & CONDITIONS.

IN CASE YOUR COMPANY IS INTERESTED, PL. CONTACT ME. MY MOBILE NO. IS +919424140739.

BICYCLE DRIVING DETAILED STUDY & IMPROVEMENT POSSIBLE
    Although Bicycle is very old invention, the basic mechanism of driving has remained same without any major change over the years. Based on personal driving experience & by observing others, I had tried to study this mechanism in depth & had found out following disadvantages (potential for improvement) in existing system.

Disadvantages of present Cycle driving mechanism:

1. One leg driving only: In circular paddling system, one leg only is used for giving motive force at any instant of time. The driving takes place due to left and right foot pressing the paddle downwards one by one (alternately).

2. Partial are driving: Out of the complete circular rotation of the paddle, only around 50% of movement is utilised for driving while other 50% is just moved for bringing paddle into the next driving place.

Here it is to be noted that no driver puts his efforts for driving the paddle when it is vertical at dead centre. He starts exerting pressure only when the paddle has made about 40-50 deg. angle from vertical, hence driving torque is zero at paddle orientations of 0, 180 deg. and their multiples.

3. Maximum force applied on paddle is generally less than drivers own weight: In normal driving the driver remains seated on his seat and applies downward force on paddles as much as he can without lifting himself from the seat. Obviously, this force is very less than his weight. His legs are naturally capable of lifting more than his own weight if required, but this capacity is not utilised.

4. Applying force more than driver’s own weight: For applying force more than his own weight, a driver feels that normal driving with sitting positions is not adequate. In such conditions, he stands on the paddles and applies his full weight on the paddles. When this also becomes insufficient for required acceleration, he “pulls the handles up” for getting more downward reaction transmitted to paddles. This reaction is transmitted through tension in driver’s hands and stress in his back in very inconvenient posture, which causes back pain and associated fatigue.

5. Limitation of force application due to relatively straight leg: During cycling, the work done comes from movement of muscles of legs, which is nothing but changing angles of thighs and knees. For any particular driving rotation of paddle (segment of driving rotation of paddle) the angle turned through by thighs and knees can be an indication of work done assuming that maximum possible force (constant) is applied all the time. But since the paddle during its driving segment of rotation, lies very much below the seat of the driver, the leg remains relatively straight and this angle turned through by thighs and knees is not much. Also the force which fully bent leg can apply easily is difficult to be applied by a leg, which is reasonable straight with only little bending at thighs and knees.

Considering all these demerits, I had tried to device a new system, which addresses these disadvantages & offers improvements in all these aspects. I was able to device such a new system that has advantages over the existing system as mentioned below:

ADVANTAGES OF NEW DRIVING MECHANISM

BY- R. P. NAIK

1. Both legs can drive simultaneously: Due to independent nature of driving both of the legs can be utilised for driving simultaneously whenever required. This will help in dead start or accelerating with high load at step gradients or rough tar rain etc.

2. Continuous driving torque: The driving force on the rear wheel (s) will be a continuous one. As soon as a leg finishes its driving stroke the other leg will start its driving stroke and hence virtually there will be no time of zero torque.

3. More force than driver’s weight can be applied without fatigue: The backrest provided will give support to driver in such a way that by utilizing reaction from backrest, the driver can put on force more than his own weight whenever required.

4. No stress in portion above the waist: Due to same backrest, there will be no stress developed above the waist and back pen and hand tension will be eliminated.

5. More angle turned by thighs & knees ensure more force available when required: Due to position of seat and paddle, the angle turned through by thigh and knee for any stroke of driving will be more than corresponding angle in case of ordinary cycle (rickshaw) hence there will be more work done available per driving stroke of the paddle.

6. Crippled persons can use their able leg: The same system of driving can be utilised for handicapped person’s tricycles. In these, the handicapped person can use his able leg along with his hand for driving the tricycle. If the amputation of a leg is below the knee; than he can use even his stump as well as his able leg for driving with the help of suitable padding and paddle modification.

7. Easy adaptability for existing manufacturers: Once this system proves its utility and is accepted for increased speed /load carrying capacity of rickshaw, the existing cycles or rickshaw manufactures can easily convert to this design without altering many of their facilities.

8. Gear arrangements: Suitable gear arrangements will enhance speed / load carrying capabilities tremendously.
  • Rameshwar lal jajra
    Rameshwar lal jajra
    H
    pillai
    Rickshawala,
    Pillai.

Hi Pillai,

Could u please tell me about current progress on this.
  • pillai
    pillai
    [​IMG]
    Rameshwar lal jajra
    H

Hi Pillai,

Could u please tell me about current progress on this.
    Yes.I have assembled & tested a prototype.The reduction in pedalling effort is about 60 % !!! No engines or motors, only optimal mechanical design.Since this is rather difficult to believe, I am trying to carry out comparative Biometric tests at IIT, Mumbai.
    The design was well received at the Environment Programme of the Times of India & received an Excellence Certificate at Techfest, IIT, Mumbai.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi i own a website , I want to add free SMS from my website Remember i don't talk for 160by2 or other SMS provider's Application but i need own...
So will this crazy tee shirts be available for us?
😁 Taking a cue from Biggie's hourly update, here is my narration of the CE meet. About 2:30pm, CEan Mayur Pathak climbs a fast local to Churchgate. He is going...
I am nice to be here...
😁Hi all, I'm searching my final year project, can someone give me some advices, I study telecommunication and I like networking. Thanks all