Infosys Puzzles

Hello ,

This post will contain all the puzzles from Infosys recruitment process. I will post 1 puzzle each day and solution at the end of the day..
Please try to solve it and we can have discussion here in the post.

Replies

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Infosys First Puzzle :-

There is a escalator and 2 persons move down it.A takes 50 steps and B takes 75 steps
    while the escalator is moving down. Given that the time taken by A to take 1 step is equal to
    time taken by B to take 3 steps. Find the no. of steps in the escalator while it is staionary.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    No Takers πŸ˜”
    Alright, Here is the solution to the first puzzle ( I dont know whether this is correct or not) -

Frooty
    Infosys First Puzzle :-

There is a escalator and 2 persons move down it.A takes 50 steps and B takes 75 steps
    while the escalator is moving down. Given that the time taken by A to take 1 step is equal to
    time taken by B to take 3 steps. Find the no. of steps in the escalator while it is staionary.

If A takes 1 step in one second, then B takes 3 steps in one second. If A takes t1 seconds to
    take 50 steps, then B takes 150 steps in t1 seconds.
    For B, to take 150 steps he requires t1 seconds,
    then to take 75 steps he requires t1/2 seconds.
    So now, s1=50, t1 = t1 & s2=75, t2=t1/2
    ans= (s1*t2 ~ s2*t1) / (t1 ~ t2) which gives 100.
    so 100 steps is the answer
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Second Puzzle :

If the digits of my present age are reversed then I get the age of my son.If 1 year ago my
    age was twice as that of my son.Find my present age ?
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Thats correct .

Father's age = 73 and Son's age = 37
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Third Puzzle :

There are 6561 balls out of them 1 is heavy.Find the minimum no. of times the balls have to be
    weighed for finding out the heavy ball.
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    I think its 8... bcoz if u divide the balls in three parts, set of 2187 balls will be compared with set of 2187 balls, which one is heavier contains the heavy ball... if both of them weigh same dat means 3rd set contains heavy ball... that is 1st compaeison..
    similarly, 2nd comparison will be between set of 729 balls
    3rd-243, 4th-81, 5th-27, 6th-9, 7th-3 n last will be between set of 1 ball.....
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Sagar07
    I think its 8... bcoz if u divide the balls in three parts, set of 2187 balls will be compared with set of 2187 balls, which one is heavier contains the heavy ball... if both of them weigh same dat means 3rd set contains heavy ball... that is 1st compaeison..
    similarly, 2nd comparison will be between set of 729 balls
    3rd-243, 4th-81, 5th-27, 6th-9, 7th-3 n last will be between set of 1 ball.....
    Perfect
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Fourth Puzzle :

If i walk with 30 miles/hr I reach 1 hour before and if I walk with 20 miles/hr i reach 1 hour late.Find the distance between 2 points and the exact time of reaching destination is 11 am then find the speed with which it walks.
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    Let original speed be v and time taken be t...

As distance between two points is constant,
    30*(t-1)=20*(t+1)=v*t

hence, v=24 mile/hr
    t=5 hrs

distance between two points is 120 miles
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    born_star16
    Let original speed be v and time taken be t...

As distance between two points is constant,
    30*(t-1)=20*(t+1)=v*t

hence, v=24 mile/hr
    t=5 hrs

distance between two points is 120 miles
    Thats Correct .
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Fifth Puzzle : -

Next number in the series is 1 , 2 , 4 , 13 , 31 , 112 , ?
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Come on guys . The above puzzle is not so tough. It was in Infosys paper. Please try to solve it
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    Frooty
    Come on guys . The above puzzle is not so tough. It was in Infosys paper. Please try to solve it
    I think the answer is 224 but not sure about it.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Correct. The answer is 224.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Sixth Puzzle -

Shahrukh speaks truth only in the morning and lies in the afternoon, whereas Salman
    speaks truth only in the afternoon. A says that B is Shahrukh. Is it morning or afternoon and
    who is A - Shahrukh or Salman?
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    I think its afternoon and A is salman...........

Will you please explain the logic behind the answer 224???
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Sagar07
    Will you please explain the logic behind the answer 224???

No number has digits more than 4. All of them are 1 , 2, 4, 8 , 16 , 32 , 64 converted to
    numbers in base 5.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Sagar07
    I think its afternoon and A is salman...........
    The answer is correct.
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Seventh Puzzle -

Sometime after 10:00 PM a murder took place. A witness claimed that the clock must
    have stopped at the time of the shooting. It was later found that the position of both the
    hands were the same but their positions had interchanged. Tell the time of the shooting
    (both actual and claimed).
  • Ayush Choudhary
    Ayush Choudhary
    what wud b the answer ?
    😲
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The time should be 00.50 am. 😐
  • Sughosh Deshmukh
    Sughosh Deshmukh
    can you please explain the solution to Fifth Puzzle : -

Next number in the series is 1 , 2 , 4 , 13 , 31 , 112 , ?
  • Sughosh Deshmukh
    Sughosh Deshmukh
    may be the time is 11:10 pm actual and claimed to be 1:55pm...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Frooty
    Seventh Puzzle -

Sometime after 10:00 PM a murder took place. A witness claimed that the clock must
    have stopped at the time of the shooting. It was later found that the position of both the
    hands were the same but their positions had interchanged. Tell the time of the shooting
    (both actual and claimed).
    Let us assume that the time is some time soon after 10.00 pm. Because there is one more solution after that but before 12 midnight. What is needed is a situation where the hour hand is symmetric to the orientation of the minute hand.
    The hour hand moves 0.5 degree/min while the minute hand moves 6 degrees/ minute. At 10 the hour hand is 60 degrees from 12 and the minute hand is at 12. Let us assume that the hour hand moves by x degrees. This requires 2x minutes. In 2x minutes the minute hand moves 12x degrees.
    For symmetry 60 - x = 12x
    13x = 60 from which x = 4.615
    The time will be 9.23 minutes past 10.
    With interchanged hands the time will be 1:50.8 AM
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Ans:
    Time of shooting = 11:54 PM
    Claimed Time = 10:59 PM

SOLUTION ::

lets say
    murder takes place at h2 : m2 , meaning h2 hrs and m2 minutes...
    also let the claimed time be , h1 : m1
    we know that angle swept by hr hand in 1 hr=30 degree
    and angle swept by min hand in 1 min=6 degree
    now as per question , the hr hand at one time will sweep same angle
    with respect to standard 12 o clock position
    as the minute hand from the other time ....
    so we can get two eqns as ,
    6 m1 = 30 h2 + (m2 / 2) ........................................(a)
    6 m2 = 30 h1 + (m1 / 2) ........................................(b)

now adding (a) & (b)
    11(m1 + m2) = 60 (h1 + h2) .............................(c)

also, we get from (a) & (b) ,
    13(m1 - m2) = 60(h2 - h1) .............................(d)

now if we take , h1 & h2 as 10 & 11 repectively ,
    from (c) we have m1 + m2 = 114.54 ................(e)

if we take , h1 & h2 as 11 & 12 repectively ,
    from (c) we have m1 + m2 = 120
    for that m1 = m2 =60 ....which would correspond to same time on clock ....hence not possible as per question ,

if we take , h1 & h2 as 11 & 12 repectively ,
    from (c) we have m1 + m2 > 120 , which is not possible ...
    and so on ...
    we cant take h1 and h2 less than 10 , as murder takes place after 10 pm...
    so putting the values of h1 and h2 in (d),
    we get
    m1 - m2 =4.6153 ........................(f)
    from (e) & (f) ,
    m1= 59.577
    m2=54.9623

hence the claimed time is 10 : 59.577
    and the actual time of murder is 11 : 54.9623
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Eighth Puzzle :

I bought a car with a peculiar 5 digit numbered licence plate which on reversing could
    still be read. On reversing value is increased by 78633.Whats the original number if all
    digits were different?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Frooty
    Ans:
    Time of shooting = 11:54 PM
    Claimed Time = 10:59 PM
    The angular position of the minute hand and the hour hand can have a mirror symmetry about the 12 o'Clock mark or the 11 o'Cock mark. The idea is that the person might claim that in the dim light he could not differentiate between the two hands. This can happen only if a mirror symmetry is present. The time will be 9.23 minutes past 10.
    With interchanged hands the time will be 1:50.8 AM. This is also a valid solution.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Frooty
    Eighth Puzzle :

I bought a car with a peculiar 5 digit numbered licence plate which on reversing could
    still be read. On reversing value is increased by 78633.Whats the original number if all
    digits were different?
    What is meant by reversed? Mirror image left to right (18 become 81) or upside down (58 becomes 28)?
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    bioramani
    What is meant by reversed? Mirror image left to right (18 become 81) or upside down (58 becomes 28)?

In this case upside down
  • Sughosh Deshmukh
    Sughosh Deshmukh
    Frooty
    Eighth Puzzle :

digits were different?
    is the number 18256
    on reversing the number the new no. is 95281.
    if the digits r written as seen on old digital calculators...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I spent a lot of time on this and ended up with too many theoretical blocks because of the condition that the reversed number has to be 78633 more than the original. It does not seem that any five digit number will meet all thew conditions.
    I shall await for the answer.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    hey what types of puzzles are asked in infosys.? My friend told me to solve puzzles like sitting arrangement, sequential order etc from RS Aggarwal but you guys are sharing analytical puzzles :-/
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *pushkar*
    hey what types of puzzles are asked in infosys.? My friend told me to solve puzzles like sitting arrangement, sequential order etc from RS Aggarwal but you guys are sharing analytical puzzles :-/
    I'm not sure whether there have been any recent changes to the way Infy conducts tests. But they always asked analytical and logical questions. You should be good at solving puzzles.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Only 0 1 6 8 and 9 can be read upside down. So on rearranging these digits we get the answer as 10968.
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    The whole thing is confusin, please define the meaning of reversing...
    Is is reversing 285 to 582
    or
    revesing 9 to 6
    please xplain i wanna solve this puzzle pls...
    Bionic
    The whole thing is confusin, please define the meaning of reversing...
    Is is reversing 285 to 582
    or
    revesing 9 to 6
    please xplain i wanna solve this puzzle pls...
    Reversing 9 to 6!
  • Bionic
    Bionic
    I think this is the answer....
    The original number is, 10968

when reversed you get 89601,
    And when you take the difference between the two group of numbers, you get the increased 78633.
    Bionic
    I think this is the answer....
    The original number is, 10968

when reversed you get 89601,
    And when you take the difference between the two group of numbers, you get the increased 78633.
    Yes! πŸ˜€
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    Frooty
    Fourth Puzzle :

If i walk with 30 miles/hr I reach 1 hour before and if I walk with 20 miles/hr i reach 1 hour late.Find the distance between 2 points and the exact time of reaching destination is 11 am then find the speed with which it walks.
    is the distance 120 miles????and the speed for reaching destination in exact time is 12miles/hr...is it correct???😨
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    akash.kasina
    is the distance 120 miles????and the speed for reaching destination in exact time is 12miles/hr...is it correct???😨
    120 miles with 24 mph
  • akash.kasina
    akash.kasina
    ianoop
    120 miles with 24 mph
    oh!!! niceπŸ˜‰
  • ankur8819
    ankur8819
    This is from my personal experience. πŸ˜€
    There is a jailer and three prisoners in a room.Also there are 5 hats 3 Black and 2 white.
    Each prisoner was made to wear a hat and guess the color of hat he is wearing..Each prisoner can see other's hat but not his.If a prisoner guesses the color of his hat correctly he is released else he is put back in Jail.Prisoner 1 guesses it wrong,prisoner 2 is sent to Jail.Prisoner 3 is released.How did he know ?
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    ankur8819
    This is from my personal experience. πŸ˜€
    There is a jailer and three prisoners in a room.Also there are 5 hats 3 Black and 2 white.
    Each prisoner was made to wear a hat and guess the color of hat he is wearing..Each prisoner can see other's hat but not his.If a prisoner guesses the color of his hat correctly he is released else he is put back in Jail.Prisoner 1 guesses it wrong,prisoner 2 is sent to Jail.Prisoner 3 is released.How did he know ?
    Ankur, This kind of puzzle has been already solved.... Watch the thread "Princess Puzzle" by AKD...
  • sowjitha
    sowjitha
    Frooty
    The answer is correct.
    hmmm explanation please
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    sowjitha
    hmmm explanation please
    Consider, its morning, so if A is shahrukh then the statement has to be true, but it says B is shahrukh..
    and if A is salman then the statement has to be wrong, so, B can't be shahrukh, that means A is not salman..

So, its afternoon...

now, if A is salman then statement is true so, B is shahrukh....

So, A is Salman.
  • sowjitha
    sowjitha
    Sagar07
    Consider, its morning, so if A is shahrukh then the statement has to be true, but it says B is shahrukh..
    and if A is salman then the statement has to be wrong, so, B can't be shahrukh, that means A is not salman..

So, its afternoon...

now, if A is salman then statement is true so, B is shahrukh....

So, A is Salman.
    But it is not mentioned that the statement is true
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    the
    Frooty
    Fourth Puzzle :

the distance between two points is 125 mills...and it will walk with the speed of 25 mills/hour.......
    explantion-
    let that person takes x hours to reach the exact place at exact time...if its speed is 30mills/hour then it will cover the same distance as when its speed will be 20miils/hour then the distance covered will be same ,let this distance is "d"....then
    with 30mills/hour it will take (x-1) hour and with 20mills/hour it will take (x+1) hour and in both case distance will be same..so
    30/(x-1) =20/(x+1)
    x=5 hours
    and speed will be for reaching at exact time because time is 11am which is between 10am for 30mills/hour and 12pm for 20mills/hour...
    (30+20)/(2) =25 mills /hour
    so distance will be
    d=25*5=125mills/hour
    am i right?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

POLARIS PAPER : The selection Process will be in this way 1. Written test 2. Group discussion (there would be group discussion it depends up on the croud) 3. Technical...
Selection Procedure was * Written test. * Technical interview 1 * Technical interview 2 * Programming * HR interview Written Test:: C C++ SQL Regular Expression Unix commands Data structures(trees,graphs)...
I got the piece of information on Microsoft recruitment process. Please have look on it : The following are actual questions from actual interviews conducted by Microsoft employees on the...
3I Infotech Placement Paper & Answers 1. In a class composed of x girls and y boys what part of the class is composed of girls A.y/(x + y) B.x/xy...
I am new to CE and work at CarDekho.com. I am an automobile expert which provide detailed information on each and every vehicle being launched in India and abroad. The...