Influence of Vibratory Welding on Lap welded joints

Project Abstract / Summary : Since the present welding technology suffers draw backs despite of its advantages like Great residual stress and heat effected zone etc. we have under taken a new approach to reduce the defects like when vibrations are given to the work pieces during welding it will cause the heat transfer so fast and uniform that it will relieve residual stress and the molten metal will flow to each corner so that welding becomes strong and more over when vibrations are applied on pieces the internal dendrite fragmentation occurs which results in fine nuclei structure, so that the material will become strong. Unlike heat treatment where special tools and more time and more cost are mattered for relieving stress and improving strength, Vibratory welding can do achieve a good percentage of result of heat treatment, within less time, less cost and no special procurement. My project work includes checking whether the stated improvement of mechanical properties were achieved with vibratory welding or not. Though the literature exists on this it is on butt joints till now, but we had done it on lap joints which was a difficult to weld and do shear test, but we did Hardness and Shear tests on the Mild Steel specimens, and proved that the effect of vibration is positive in relieving stress and increasing strength. We had done the experiment at different intensities of vibration by changing the voltage like 70,150,230 volts and found that the improvement of properties are directly proportional to intensity of vibration, which in turn is directly in relation with the volts, i.e. at 230 volts the material exhibited greater strength than the rest.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : Because I found that the conventional welding has draw backs, during my course I was searching for a better alternative than heat treatment process because of its high cost and time, then I came across this new method and found that this is something interesting way of improving properties. Its future is great to go because of its salient features and with no time than welding time it self it works pretty well, so tomorrow industries adopt this method to improve further, so as to make it a better acceptable method.

Project Highlights : I believe that this is something new and an innovative approach to the existed problems of welding domain.Since I had worked on a different type of joint on which no such work seems to be existed till now I hope my project deserves to win in the contest.

Project Category : Mechanical / Automobile / Aeronautical
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Aditya Institute of Technology And Management
City: Tekkali
State: Andhra Pradesh
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Since the present welding technology suffers draw backs despite of its advantages like Great residual stress and heat effected zone etc. we have under taken...
Project Abstract / Summary : Healthcareis a hearty choice for wellness clinics, patient advocacy groups and others who provide health information or medical services and equipment. But today heathcare eye...
Project Abstract / Summary : Our project is about the Unmanned, self-guided, automated, small and compact surveillance boat capable of doing surveillance autonomously for coastal area. It is named as...
Project Abstract / Summary : Our project is about the Unmanned, self-guided, automated, small and compact surveillance boat capable of doing surveillance autonomously for coastal area. It is named as...
Project Abstract / Summary : We devised a mechanism to open the roll down huricane shutter with the input being given for half of its total height to be lifted....