Indian-US Girl Creates Supercapacitor To Charge Your Phone In < 20 Seconds

Smartphones have a nasty habit of dying on us at the most inconvenient moment; we try to revive it with latest gadgets like battery packs and wireless chargers but we still have to wait for at least a few hours to get them fully charged. This waiting time of hours may soon to changing to a couple of seconds thanks to an innovation from Eesha Khare, a 18-year-old Indian-American girl from Saratoga, California. Her supercapacitor is a tiny device that can hold a lot of energy and can be fitted inside a cellphone battery to charge it almost instantly.

Eesha Khare

At present she is using it to power LEDs but she is sure that the super-capacitor could soon find its way to cell phones and other gadgets. As compared to the conventional batteries that last for 1000 charge-discharge cycles her super-capacitor can last for 10000 charge-discharge cycles. When asked about her inspiration behind this invention she replied "My cellphone battery always dies,”. Her interest in nanochemistry helped her to develop this device which she claims is flexible enough to be used in rollup displays and clothes. Her invention has managed even to gain attention from Google who have contacted her to see how she plans to plans to use it to improve her technology so that it can be used in cellphones. Eesha was awarded a $50,000 prize and the Young Scientist Award by the Intel Foundation during the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, conducted last week in Phoenix, Arizona.

Source: Esha Khare: Teen's invention could charge cellphone in 20 seconds | Daily Mail Online

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This news has become a sensation throughout the online community. I just hope there's a commercial product for what this girl has achieved. Waiting for the cellphone to charge, especially when I have to move out quickly, is really quite troublesome. All hail tech! 😍
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Great product...
    I believe, Students have better innovative approach than scholars.
    ~~wish every country would invest in schools rather than military.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm still wondering, did all the big tech guys not think of this before?
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    Never stop till you breathe.. 😀
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Cant wait to see it live in gadgets. My cell battery won't die then. This is real talent and desperately needed innovation. They sure should figure out a way to implement it as soon as possible. Then not only for mobiles and tabs, it will be of excellent utility in laptops and also high application in other electronic gadgets.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    its a great discovery thanks Eesha.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Warner Bros' lengthy cinematic trailer is more CG than game play, but that doesn't stop us gamers from going Whoa, Awesome! Two prominent voice actors in the gaming world, Roger...
when we join engineering we are not able to adjust semister wise system from year wise..so some time is needed to adjust with it..because of high pressure by the teachers...
With every device getting smarter day by day, it's time for the watch to go smart and Apple may now be really moving towards building a smartwatch, what people are...
I have been trying to setup KVM(Kernel Virtual Machine) on Fedora 18. Now when I reach the final step of setup (I am using virt-manager), it shows that "default" network...
After speculations and discussions going around for a couple of days about Yahoo buying out Tumblr, the deal was finally sealed with a staggering $1.1 Billion Dollars. Both the CEO's...