Indian accent of speaking english

Indian accents vary greatly. Some Indians speak English with an accent very close to a Standard British accent ; others lean toward a more 'vernacular', native-tinted, accent for their English speech.
In general, Indian English has fewer peculiarities in its vowel sounds than the consonants, especially as spoken by native speakers of languages like Hindi, which in fact has a vowel phonology very similar to that of English.
Will the Indian people continue with their own accent or should they follow the British English or US english?....

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hello Nerdy,
    This is actually a very good topic and I want to share something. ๐Ÿ˜€

We should not fake accent. We should be clear in our pronunciation though so that other person should understand us.

Anyway copying British English tones is not a good idea, we should make our meaning clear, this is more important. What say?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    First of all, there is nothing wrong with 'sounding Indian'. We all have a certain uniqueness to our accents.
    And it's a wonder that French or Japanese or Italian or even Arabic people do not leave their original accent while speaking English. Moreover, Japanese people have a unique script for pronouncing foreign language words. They don't feel ashamed about it. And I think it's wonderful. ๐Ÿ˜€

I heard from a friend who has been to Germany that German people respect people who talk in their native accent and language. What's the outcome of faking an accent? We should not try to desperately fit into something.
    By the way, the whole point of talking is conveying our thoughts to others. It is best done in the language & accent that we are the most comfortable with.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    In my opinion too, accent does not play a very important role as long as we are able to speak fluently and convey our views and opinions to others. Wherever a person lives, he/she speaks in the native accent of any other foreign language and I think we should do the same.

It's rather irritating for people to see other people faking an accent(Like when I get mad over watching some Bollywood actresses faking accent ๐Ÿ˜ก). So just be yourself. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    AbraKaDabra
    First of all, there is nothing wrong with 'sounding Indian'. We all have a certain uniqueness to our accents.
    And it's a wonder that French or Japanese or Italian or even Arabic people do not leave their original accent while speaking English. Moreover, Japanese people have a unique script for pronouncing foreign language words. They don't feel ashamed about it. And I think it's wonderful. ๐Ÿ˜€

I heard from a friend who has been to Germany that German people respect people who talk in their native accent and language. What's the outcome of faking an accent? We should not try to desperately fit into something.
    By the way, the whole point of talking is conveying our thoughts to others. It is best done in the language & accent that we are the most comfortable with.
    Well one more addition in this. . .

One of our client is south Indian and he is very powerful in English he can speak in 2-3 accents but when he come to our company he used to speak with his south Indian style only and he told that he speaks into the British accents only when his client is British. And normally i love my native language.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    AbraKaDabra

but what if the person on the other side is not comfortable with our accent ? We have to adjust according to the situation. I think sending home the meaning is more important than how the words sound, be it in my own accent or a faked one.

Why do they give accent training to the employees in the BPO bussiness? That's to be able to serve the customers better in the language they are comfortable in. In business, its customers first, then everything else.

Ofcourse, for normal chats if one is trying to fake his/her accent then its really childish to do so and they should indeed grow up. It is highly prevalent with our actors and actresses(like Nion mentioned) who try to look and sound 'cool'!

I like our desi cricketers who speak in english in their own accent. There is definitely nothing to be ashamed of that.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    optimystix
    Ofcourse, for normal chats if one is trying to fake his/her accent then its really childish to do so and they should indeed grow up. It is highly prevalent with our actors and actresses(like Nion mentioned) who try to look and sound 'cool'!
    This is exactly what I want to say too.
    I can understand that BPO's call for people with so and so accent. It's a part of their job. But outside that, people shouldn't treat our own vernacular accent as 'down market'.
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    when you all hear my english with HARYANAVI accent then you will laugh uncontrollably and will have pain in your stomach
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Yeah Our accent sounds clear for me as well but my trainers asked me to learn american which is hard to listen ๐Ÿ˜”
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    its not about accent, its rather about grammar. If the grammar of the language is correct, no one really worries about accent as long as its understandable.

i am not getting into a discussion here, but take example of a chinese moving to INDIA and tries to talk Indian language, what might be their best attempt to belong to the INDian community? try learning INDIAN accent of Indian languages, else everyone will consider them as strangers. frankly -there has been a research done on the feigning of accent, which turned out that- people don't do it deliberately, its ones own mind which automatically tunes up.
  • nerdy_me
    nerdy_me
    Many Indian people try to copy the accent .Yes !! I'ts true but I think instead of copying accent ,they should try to speak the words correctly .What I mean to say is pronunciation.There are many common words which we people pronounce wrongly like 'of','market','equality','epitome','caricature','detour' etc.
    Space will shorten but the list will not end.
    Have a look at the phonetics of above mentioned words ,you will yourself find the difference.
    So instead of worrying about the accent , one should atleast pronounce the word correctly..!!
    what say??
  • Aditya Joshi
    Aditya Joshi
    Well, pronunciation is a little related to accent too. What do you think a south Indian who calls 'M' as "yem" instead of "em"?

I had a friend who worked in a Call Center in Pune after getting Year Drop in 3rd year. He was intensively trained on BRITISH accent as he was in some british only process. The problem, as he told me, with most guys there was that British (also Americans) find it very tough to understand plain Indian english, which we call as clear english. It is something like a village guy from Bihar coming to you and speaking in his native BHOJPURI hindi tone. For those Brits, we are like Biharis. They have to put in too much attention to each extra sound we add in words.

Well I have many friends who come to me and ask me the same thing. All I tell them is, if you want to stay in Indian towns, interact with locals only, you MUST continue your regular Indian accent. If you work in a company which deals with international clients, or you're planning to go abroad, just catch up standard international (american style) accent. I have another very interesting friend who knows German, Spanish and a little Japanese. He says this makes it easier for his clients to communicate to him. Of course, his bosses love him and give him frequent raises.
  • aditya_joshi
    aditya_joshi
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That was me. Changed my profile
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Aditya Joshi
    I have another very interesting friend who knows German, Spanish and a little Japanese. He says this makes it easier for his clients to communicate to him. Of course, his bosses love him and give him frequent raises.
    ๐Ÿ‘ for frequent raises.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    optimystix
    I like our desi cricketers who speak in english in their own accent. There is definitely nothing to be ashamed of that.
    There was a story told abouy this during British Rule in India. One of the British Civil Service officer used to correct painstakingly the Englsh of his Bengali assistant. One day this person, one Banerjee, aksed for his boss's time. He told the boss.' Sir, what me Banerjee writes him Chatterjee understands. Why not let it be?'

Excellent advice in my opinion.

Bioramani
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I hate other languages other than Indian languages. ๐Ÿ˜” Especially I hate American Accent. It was really a nightmare for us when any one shows off with English Language which has only 44 sounds. Every one will have their own accent and English is the same language differed by people with its accent. America itself got 5 or more accents where people speak English differently in various parts of its country and we can understand none of them will sound better than our Indian Accent then why should we follow them.
  • nerdy_me
    nerdy_me
    CEans exactly..!!!
    one should not copy the accent and try to speak the words correctly in its own native accent....
    .๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
  • thesecret
    thesecret
    There is no need for the Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Thais, etc to imitate the English accent. We must be proud of our own accent in speaking the English language because it's unique. ๐Ÿ˜€ So Indians speak proudly of your own Indian accent in speaking Englist. You are not the only country who's facing about English accent but also other Asian countries.๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kautilya
    Kautilya
    [video=youtube;v9arM_agKFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9arM_agKFA[/video]

Must watch video. related to the topic going on!!
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    Why we change our tone if another person clearly understand it?? Is it only for they are laugh at us. If anyone doing this then it is a bad manner in my view. He must know that English is not his mother language.
    I observed one thing. If you go away 60/70 Km from your proper place, you can notice the change in your language. So it is natural thing that change in tone, grammar, etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am wondering if someone can help me understand a problem. This PNP BJT problem gives a very high beta and : Vce sat = 0.2V (if needed for the...
Design of machine elements by Prof.B.Maiti, IIT Kharagpur. Design of shafts. [video=youtube;q4E9yaulqyc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4E9yaulqyc[/video]
Design of Belt drives. By prof. B. Maiti, IIT Kharagpur. [video=youtube;nMsB6Soz4Hc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsB6Soz4Hc&feature=related[/video]
Lecture by Prof. B. Maiti, IIT Kharagpur. [video=youtube;__py5xbKHGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__py5xbKHGA&feature=related[/video]
This is a book by Abraham Silberschatz and Henry F. Korth both of Bell laboratory and Prof. S.Sudershan of IIT Bombay.