India To Have Its Own EMF Portal

To address the public outcry over Electromagnetic Field Pollution due to mobile towers, the government is considering to set up a national database which will contain the location of a Base Transceiver Station and the relevant data for monitoring radiation from that BTS. The portal is expected to roll out within next 9 months. It is also reported that the beta testing has already begun in the states of Haryana, Maharashtra and Punjab. The portal will provide information about EMF and its effects on humans backed by scientific studies.

The wireless communication technology has revolutionized the Indian telecom sector making BTS towers a common sight in cities and villages alike. But now, people are hesitant to allow installation of these towers over their rooftops over fears of health risks such as cancer due to EMF radiation. Mobile operators are now facing problems getting rooftops for lease for setting up BTS towers and the related equipment. Also, people are unwilling to get the contracts for existing towers renewed. The lack of mobile towers is now feared to hinder India's progress in this field.
BTS1
Rajan Matthews, Director General of Cell Phone Operators Association of India (COAI) voiced his concerns saying that while five lakh towers were set up between 2007 and 2010, an incremental one lakh was needed annually for reaching 3G connectivity to the block level. Thus, the average addition was only one-third the requirement. Also, six lakh more towers were needed to provide 4G connectivity to the masses. Such an initiative by the government would certainly be a welcome move for operators and citizens alike.

Such portal is already present in Germany, called #-Link-Snipped-#. It is an initiative by Research Center for Bioelectromagnetic Interaction at University Hospital department of the Aachen University (RWTH Aachen, Germany) which conducts interdisciplinary research on biological and medical effects of electromagnetic fields.

Source: Government to roll out National EMF portal - The Hindu

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi My rank is 1602 in DESD.... n around 1200+ ppl have already applied for those course Do i stand a chance of getting seat for the Above said course...
Hello my name is vivek I have secured score like this as below ..Can anyone say can i get seat in cdac hyderabad / banglore / pune , if not...
Hello my name is vivek I have secured score like this as below ..Can anyone say can i get seat in cdac hyderabad / banglore / pune , if not...
Samsung has announced the addition of a new member to their Galaxy Tab family with a new tablet called the 'Galaxy Tab S', which is said to have the most...
Android Developers, you prolly shouldn't miss this - ​Couple pictures to keep you more interested in this conference - ​