India does not have quality programmers - CEO, Snapdeal : Agree / Disagree?

Kunal Bahl, CEO of SnapDeal said that India does not have the quality programmer it needs. Bahl's statement which he made in an interview with WSJ caused a lot of buzz on the social media. Flipkart founder tweeted that Bahl was blaming Indian programmers for Snapdeal's inability to attract quality programmers.

I thought of knowing what do our fellow engineers think about the above statement? Is it the gross inability of the company to spot the right talent or is there a general shortage of quality software developers / programmers?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No takers here? 😨
  • vishnu tej
    vishnu tej
    In my view, there is no shortage of quality software programmers/ developers in India.
    The article by
    Jos Scheffelaar, the CEO and Co-Founder of Launch in US Alliance. Even though it was of 2013, I believe its worth sharing....
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Not sure what in what context he said. But if you talk about all IT companies in general, yes it's true.
    Ok, even if we agree Indian programmer are not good enough but all of them?
    You need only handful of them, hire them from elite colleges, give them crores of package. Be happy.

Is this related to Snapdeal failing to keep up with Flipkart and Amazon?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    Is this related to Snapdeal failing to keep up with Flipkart and Amazon?
    Comes from Snap Deal having to hire from USA.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Comes from Snap Deal having to hire from USA.
    Probably people are not responding to their job advertisement because of poor service.
    Would you like to work in E-commerce company, from which, even you are afraid to do any transaction. ☕
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    When I first read the WSJ article, I have to admit that I did not find anything too objectionable in the statements of the SnapDeal founder. Even Silicon Valley founders have a trouble finding the right talent and retaining it.

Quoting two of the statements from the WSJ article:

If you think about the landscape in India, not too many product companies got built here.

Many of these people moved to the U.S. because opportunities for doing (such) high-quality work were not available in India.
    What is wrong in stating the facts? Mr. Bansal did mention there that Indian landscape has changed dramatically now and opportunities are better now than ever.

Just PR mongers, I guess.
  • Tushar92
    Tushar92
    I think his exact words were India doesn't have adequate quality programmers and was relying more on quantity rather than quality. With that, I have to agree. Whenever someone doesn't get a job in his desired field, he opts for programming. There are only a few of these dedicated programmers who are involved because they like programming.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tushar92
    There are only a few of these dedicated programmers who are involved because they like programming.
    I agree. Maybe it's a chicken-egg problem. The talented programmers did not find companies worthy of joining to put their skills and talents to right use and hence they moved to other countries for better careers.

I think the services industry, which could survive even with average programmers is largely responsible for the mess. I'm guessing the winds are changing now. I've been hearing a lot about 'brain gain' these days instead of 'brain drain'.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Most good developers I know want to start something of their own, right here in India.
    Is that a good sign? Well, employers need to rack their brains to lure these developers or talking them out of quitting.
    A know at least 8-10 guys who were working in an IT company, were happy with their pay & work environment, yet they quit. Reason? They didn't want to work for someone else. Just that.
    These guys I know were without a doubt the best programmers in their batches when they joined their company. All believed they would stick to their jobs, get on-site, work hard and impressing their bosses wasn't a big deal because it was effortless.
    Yet, they left. Some of them have built companies that may or may not exist after a couple of years, but you see where this is going?

I am just wondering if the major chunk of talented programmers think this way or not. Their opinions would decide the course of the industry's future.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Remember MIT’s terrifying quadruped robot Cheetah? Well its creators have given it a new capability that makes it the only robot in the world that can run and jump obstacles...
A team of researchers at MIT has invented tiny robots that are self-destructive and capable of crawling up a person's arm, climbing up ropes and can carry loads twice their...
The Indian mobile manufacturer, Intex has launched a new Cloud series smartphone- Cloud Power+. The smartphone is priced at INR 8,599 and will be available online exclusively via Snapdeal. Much...
hello sir i am shaik mohammad ali .i am 2015 passed out fresher of cse background btech with an aggregate of 62% and i want to be settled in testing...
I've realised that ever since I've jumped on to the smartphone bandwagon, I'm on a perpetual search for ringtones and notification sounds that don't suck. My search is on and...