Importance of ABAQUS Software for Instrumentation Engineers

Hi guys! Can you tell me how important ABAQUS Software is for Instrumentation Engineering? Where is it applied?And where can I find classes and study materials for Abaqus in and around Mumbai?
Thanks!!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# . Maybe he can help.
  • Kartik Iyer
    Kartik Iyer
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# . Maybe he can help.
    Hi Dear frineds,

Abaqus is a simulation software usually used for finite element analysis and computer aided engineering, mostly used in automotive, aerospace engineering and industrial product desigining. However , there are also other CAE products which can be used for this. The product is popular with academic and research institutions due to the wide material modeling capability, and the program's ability to be customized.I do not know of many companies using this tool in India. Though, Catia and Ansys other two modelling tools are extensively used but only for preprocessing.
    The Abaqus product suite consists of five core software products:

1. Abaqus/CAE, or "Complete Abaqus Environment" (a Recursive acronym - Wikipedia and Backronym with an obvious root in (Computer Aided Engineering). It is a software application used for both the modeling and analysis of mechanical components and assemblies (pre-processing) and visualizing the finite element analysis result. A subset of Abaqus/CAE including only the post-processing module can be launched independently in the Abaqus/Viewer product.
    2. Abaqus/Standard, a general-purpose Finite-Element analyzer that employs implicit integration scheme (traditional).
    3. Abaqus/Explicit, a special-purpose Finite-Element analyzer that employs explicit integration scheme to solve highly nonlinear systems with many complex contacts under transient loads.
    4. Abaqus/CFD, a Computational Fluid Dynamics software application which provides advanced computational fluid dynamics capabilities with extensive support for preprocessing and postprocessing provided in Abaqus/CAE.
    5. Abaqus/Electromagnetic, a Computational Electromagnetics software application which solves advanced computational electromagnetic problems.
    Every complete finite-element analysis consists of 3 separate stages:

• Pre-processing or modeling: This stage involves creating an input file which contains an engineer's design for a finite-element analyzer (also called "solver").
    • Processing or finite element analysis: This stage produces an output visual file.
    • Post-processing or generating report, image, animation, etc. from the output file: This stage is a visual rendering stage.
    Abaqus/CAE is capable of pre-processing, post-processing, and monitoring the processing stage of the solver; however, the first stage can also be done by other compatible CAD software, or even a text editor. Abaqus/Standard, Abaqus/Explicit or Abaqus/CFD are capable of accomplishing the processing stage. Dassault Systemes also produces Abaqus for CATIA for adding advanced processing and post processing stages to a pre-processor like CATIA.
    ABAQUS is well suited to modeling of hot rolling, cold rolling, deep drawing, stamping, extruding, etc. The advantage of ABAQUS is in process optimization, material comparisons, and general forming analysis. This allows for reducing time, effort,and material costs involved with trial and error manufacturing techniques.

In process optimization, the primary concern is achieving desired mechanical properties and dimensions by the most efficient means possible. Using ABAQUS, a model can be developed which incorporates the plastic deformation, the heat developed from deformation, heat transfer to tools/dies, and texture evolution. Such a model would be ideal for the trialing of different practices and comparing results of different reductions, temperatures, anneals, mechanical properties, alloys, etc. Using Finite Element Analysis (FEA), it is possible to run parametric simulations using different material properties or tool/die setups to see how a material behaves before manufacturing a product in which there is no clear direction on what the properties need to be.

The advantage of ABAQUS is the ability to do a wide variety of analysis such as analysis ofacoustic sound waves, failure analysis/fracture mechanics, heat transfer, vibration analysis, etc. and not restricted to stress/strain type analysis or a particular deformation/loading setup such as rolling, forging, or structural analysis. Secat customers have been using ABAQUS software system to simulate their hot and cold rolling and other thermo-mechanical process steps in the aluminum manufacturing process.

There is a company in Chennai which provides training.
    EGS Computers India Private Limited
    Other company Abaqus India which is responsible for the distribution of the software also provides customized trainings.
    You can also contact EDS technologies.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Devendra Karoshikar
    Devendra Karoshikar
    Thanks for the reply!
    Can you guide me whether ABAQUS/CAE/CATIA training is indeed important for an Instrumentation Engineer? Or is more required to a Mechanical/ Civil/Production engineer?
  • Kartik Iyer
    Kartik Iyer
    Hi Devendra,

It depends upon which field are you in or want to make a career. I won't say that it is compulsuory for an instrumentation engineer / Mechanical engineer to know this, though i might be tempted to say that knowing catia helps a mechanical engineer if he is interested in mechanical design. These software's are used differently in different companies and which field you are in, matters. Anyways, in case you join any of the companies that requires you to learn this software, you can later on opt for it. But being an instrumentation engineer, means you also have other fields, so only adding a software knowledge to your resume doesn't make you qualified to use the software. I hope I have answered you query. Do you work somewhere? If so, may I know which company do you work for and what is your role there?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you've been following the FIFA 2014 World Cup, you must have noticed that the magic foam that the referees spray around the ball or draw lines with. It disappears...
Sony India has launched its new 2TB (terabyte) portable storage hard disk drive - the PSZ-HA2T that features a reinforced protective case and is engineered with a heavy silicon cover...
Finding the right app in the vast sea of apps market, which is expanding every day, is not an easy task. Quixey is a new search engine which helps you...
A must read page https://io9.com/10-scientific-ideas-that-scientists-wish-you-would-stop-1591309822
Founded in 2011 in Bangalore by Shiju Radhakrishnan, iTraveller is an ERP platform for travel agents who are managing destinations. At iTraveller, users can configure their company in just 15...