Impact of working from Home?

Lately around the world and in India as well, working from home became a demand of the employees and many a time from employers as well. I personally believe that there are few disadvantages of working from home.

Pros:
working at home solves many more human service problems that it will create.
It saves resources (unnecessary electricity consumption at office,transportation fuel, traffic).
One can give more time to family

Cons:
Working without a direct interaction with the team may make a person *NOT SO GOOD* Team Player
It has adverse impact on relationship..

*some funny arguments on the topic - Why working at home is both awesome and horrible - The Oatmeal

What are your views for the working form home?
-CB

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    Frankly, I dont like working from home. It just doesn't work for me! When I stay at my room, I end up watching TV shows instead of working! I guess it's all about environment, you cant get it at home.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's all about how self-disciplined you are.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Pensu
    Frankly, I dont like working from home. It just doesn't work for me! When I stay at my room, I end up watching TV shows instead of working! I guess it's all about environment, you cant get it at home.
    Agreed ๐Ÿ˜ So far, every time I tell myself that I will bring back reports to finish at home, I just laze about and chill. My mind is already accustomed to separate work from home. All work related matters can stay at office (or some other location). At least, all the stress and worry can be left at office. Home is for family and personal time only I feel.

I guess for others like Biggie, it all works out at the end ๐Ÿ˜› Depends on the nature of work, perhaps.
  • Neeraj Sharma
    Neeraj Sharma
    My previous employer used to allow us to work from home only when we are sick or we are caught up with some urgent work to be done in the middle of the day. But, as far as working from home is concerned, it is very difficult to work with complete dedication because of a lot of distractions but then again I think its varies from person to person.

I find it comfortable working at office because of the environment...
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's all about how self-disciplined you are.
    Regardless of how disciplined you are, in working from home you miss interactionwith team members. Probably you end up working all alone and the team man ship spirit become less and less.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not advocating anything. I personally chose to work from home for the advantages it all offers - which matter to me more than anything else. At workplaces, people gossip and only 2-3 out of 8 hours are spent on actual work. I've seen that when I'm working from home, I'm 2x more productive and get the things done. Plus, I love all the freedom.

That's my personal choice though.

For social interactions - there are several other avenues. Gym, social gatherings, meeting with friends et al.

PS: The best thing I like is that I can play some cool music through my AudioEngine speakers without anyone complaining ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    PS: The best thing I like is that I can play some cool music through my AudioEngine speakers without anyone complaining ๐Ÿ˜€
    We (Counting you as well) used to do that in office as well (though after 6 PM ๐Ÿ˜)

I agree that it is personal choice. however when you have kids at home that too from 1-4 years it become literally impossible to take office calls from home.

-Cb
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's how bloggers work. Amit Agrawal is one of the most successful bloggers in India. Here's how it works -

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    However we debate there is a need to adopt the situation.In early days we prohibited women from working but this act was now considered to sustain economy of family.Similarly is siuation demands we will be forced to work in home and soo. we will accept it.
    Our friend #-Link-Snipped-# said that there will be no human contact but new technologies allow us to do video conferencing and live streaming make it real.
  • Kirat959
    Kirat959
    Hey guys I'm currently investigating how engineers perceive their outcomes by working at home.

Therefore as an engineer what outcomes do you expected by working from home?

Is it a threat for your job ?

Do you prefer to telecommute?

Also I will really appreciate if some of our engineers in this forum could do my little survey

#-Link-Snipped-#

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜€
    The survey tend to compare the actual perception of outcomes from telecommuters versus the expected (non-telecommuters).
    Note that this research is only for University purpose and will help me to undertake my dissertation.

Thanks a lot

T.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    As far as I know only software related people were able to work from home . Apart from them all other engineers should go for the onsite experience or office to complete your work.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    As far as I know only software related people were able to work from home . Apart from them all other engineers should go for the onsite experience or office to complete your work.

Software people need one computer to live their lives. They can work from home is correct but it has a majot drawback as it is already mentioned in 1st post. Lack of interaction between the teammates. That is needed.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    We had a similar discussion at one of the management program I am attending at office. We discussed the pros and cons. And the important thing is we have to consider the company's policies for this. If security is major concern then its a problem that we face about data sharing etc.

As CB said above, the things like team bonding etc will be a problem. Availability of
    team members for team meetings is a problem. If we are used for personal interaction in meetings and if we suddenly shift it to a video conference or a telephone call, we lose the personal touch.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Question: Can there anything be like 'team bonding' at all? How can you really bond with the people who you are directly competing for promotions and salary hikes? Let's face it guys - the corporations make your own team mates your enemies for a reason.

Several years ago, we were made to attend team building outdoor activities. We all bonded well in those two days and when we got back to our cubicles, we were competing with each other for salary hikes, promotions etc.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is partially true in case of peers, but what in case if you are a lead and there are about 4 or 5 people report to you. You have to lead by example , facilitate them in solving their problems and helping them in climbing up the ladder!

I agree that there will be competition, but not everyone looks others as enemies, the bonding will be possible if we are matured enough to accept our flaws and other person strengths.

And again this depends on the work environment and most importantly the people we are interacting with.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Question: Can there anything be like 'team bonding' at all? How can you really bond with the people who you are directly competing for promotions and salary hikes? Let's face it guys - the corporations make your own team mates your enemies for a reason.

Several years ago, we were made to attend team building outdoor activities. We all bonded well in those two days and when we got back to our cubicles, we were competing with each other for salary hikes, promotions etc.

It is a dirty secret of the corporate world. But then again it depends completely on their leaders. What type of team they want to make. A reliable, well-bonded with long term guaranty, or a short-term, 'do your job and get out' type of team. The Leaders have to decide it. Still it won't help you work from home in either cases. You need personal interaction.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Software automation has proved its worth over a period of time. By simple definition automation means simulating the manual steps automatically with the use of code. At many places where...
Hey i m writing a code to resolve captcha and resolve barcode data from 2 different images using php. the images that needs to be resolved is in the same...
Here are some tips on how to ask for a raise. Hazard: May get one thrown out on the back side instead. https://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry...r-For-A-Salary-Or-Wage-Raise?frmtrk=cr4digest
Biomedical engineers from Drexel University, University Of Pennsylvania, Thomas Jefferson University and UCLA have identified a new type of cell in your brain that helps humans keep track of their...
Those of you planning to discard your landline connections - hold on! If you thought those old telephone lines are obsolete, then we've a news for you. Alcatel-Lucent has demonstrated...