Imagineering

there are two room, in the first room there are 13 machines and in other room their are 13 switches for those machine (in any order). Two room are completely isolated with each other. Supervisor need to find which switch belong to which machine. Also, it is known that one machine is not working (Means even after starting correct switch it will not operate). One lengthy solution is Supervisor can start a switch in second room and go in first room and check physically to which machine that switch belongs (It will counted as one round) and then repeat the procedure for all other machine. Assume that, Initially supervisor is in switches room (Room 2).Being smart he identified the switch-machine correlation in less than 13 round. Today's question is what is the minimum number of rounds (1 round = room 2 to room1 and come back to room 2) are required to identify correct switch-machine correlation.
Additional Constraints: Each room has only one door. It is not possible peek from one room to other. Also it is not possible to monitor any thermal effect.

Replies

• mech. royal
    mech. royal
    i think if he know the order of arrangment..he can do it in two round........but hedont know the order then according to me it is possible in 11 round...... m i wrong?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think 12 rounds and not 11. I agree with Mr.mech. royal on other count. If he knows the sequence he can finish the job in 2 rounds. 😀
  • mech. royal
    mech. royal
    ishutopre
    I think 12 rounds and not 11. I agree with Mr.mech. royal on other count. If he knows the sequence he can finish the job in 2 rounds. 😀
    arey...... 1button or m/c=not working=1 round less.................once he find these he can find last one=2round reduce.. total round=13 or 13-2=11. what say. one more thing i am not mr. i am a girl ok sir
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    He will figure it out in minimum of 9 rounds.

Explanation:

he will turn 2 switches on and then go check the machine room. (e.g. he switched 1,2 on and the machine are running A,B)
    He come back to switch room and turn the 1st switch off and turns the 3rd on ( 2,3 - on and goes to machine room B,F) now he knows 1 is for A, 2 is for B and 3 is for F

so continuing this way i got 9 rounds.
  • Hussanal Faroke
    Hussanal Faroke
    hi vipandeep, what happen if you switch on two switches and only one is running?
  • vipandeep
    vipandeep
    Lets say 6,7 are on and only G machine is running. Now you know its 6 or 7 for G.
    you go back to switch room and turn both 6,7 OFF and continue the pattern 8,9
    so in the end when you are turning 12, 13 on after checking 11,12 you can turn 12,13,6 or 7
    this way you will know which one is for G

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends can anyone tell me how can we write a code to scan chest or eye in JAVA...😎
Guys before discussing about corporate world Game I just wanted to know how many of you know the reason for satyam failure in 2009? Can anyone tell me?
Hi folks, myself harish i was an computer science engineer. Completed my BE this year😛 and currently pursuing M.Tech 😎 I was very mad about programming and i found this...
why we have made phase shifting transformer?? isn't that work is fulfilled by a transformer with tertiary wdg to supply required power between two lines..
You may know him as the host of PBS’s Design Squad or for his guest appearances on The Discovery Channel in programs like Mythbusters. These days Nate Ball is an...