Illumination: incorporating a 'flat light source' into a cardboard project

My partners and I are interested in incorporating a 'flat light source' into a cardboard project we are working on. We need the light to switch on and off when the project is opened and closed. ie. a book cover. I wonder if any of your members can tell us if the technology is available and accessible and where we can find the product.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Charmed

Replies

• icehari
    icehari
    say me more about that project...
  • charmed
    charmed
    Imagine, if you will, a cardboard box approximately 10" (25cm) X 10" and 1/2"(1.3mm) thick. the box has an opening, a door. Inside the door is a light source...a small one indeed. When you open the door the light goes on and when you close the door....the light goes off. Is there a light with that kind of mechanism? I know this might seem too simple and obvious but I don't know where to find such an item. I appreciate your help! If this is not clear, I can email you a crude drawing...Thank you for our help.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    that's easy dude
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    All u have to do is to mount a leaf switch at the door frame. a normally closed type wud do. or may be u can use a magnet and a reed switch to lite the light
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    charmed
    Imagine, if you will, a cardboard box approximately 10" (25cm) X 10" and 1/2"(1.3mm) thick. the box has an opening, a door. Inside the door is a light source...a small one indeed. When you open the door the light goes on and when you close the door....the light goes off. Is there a light with that kind of mechanism? I know this might seem too simple and obvious but I don't know where to find such an item. I appreciate your help! If this is not clear, I can email you a crude drawing...Thank you for our help.
    I second Rifaa. Very easy to implement.
  • icehari
    icehari
    hey, you can use LDR....
    LDR has the property of giving an output of resistance for the given light intensity, you can even use LDR if it suits you...
  • charmed
    charmed
    I must be clearer. I (we) have NO experience with lamps (bulbs and receptacles) but we are creative. Can you gentlemen be more specific? I will try to be. Might there be a flat and/or small, unbreakable, inexpensive light source that could be installed in this box and that would turn on and off with the opening a closing of a 'door'? I know the lamp below is not flat but it is not too bright (I don't think) which is good and it is small, also good. Price is, of course, also an issue.

[​IMG]

There are books that, when you open them, they make wonderful sounds.
    I wonder if this same technology applies to lights.

Thank you.
  • charmed
    charmed
    Please...someone respond to the above post! Is it possible I cannot get an answer? Jane
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    OK. what are the things that u have and give me a sketch of what u want to do.
    I will look in to it then.
    Let me tell u first when u want to light a bulb what u shud have
    one is a light source. for card boards I do not recommend any thing tht gives out heat, a white LED should just do, if u want more light u can add more LED's.
    second what is your power source, u need to be specific
    third what kind of switches that u can get/buy for example , leaf switch, magnetic reed switches or optical sensors.
    please give me a detail lay out and I will help you on this.
    Cheers
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    If you have access to an old Laptop or an LCD screen (LCD screen is something used in a computer monitor, where you can see the User Interface, like the one you have on your Laptop or flat screen displays.)

[​IMG]

If you can find a non working display, the internal screen can be removed to use as a light source (diffused light, looks really nice) and is absolutely flat (as flat as your flatscreen display).

If you live in Delhi, India. We can build one for you.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    hmm! Not a bad Idea.
    He can use a typical screen for a roof and you'll have one nice illumination.
    you'll need a minimum of 12V DC to power the inverter though.
  • charmed
    charmed
    1. Imagine a box: 8"X10"X1" (Sadly...I only know inches) There is no bottom to this box but there is a top. Imagine this box is "flat" (for shipping) but when you 'buy' it you open the box and close the top so it stands on the open bottom.
    2. When you open the 'flat' box, a light goes on. A small, LED bulb is all that is required, an energy source and switch... ALL in the box...so it would have to be quite small and only give off a little light...I am an artist with an idea so...leaf switches, reed switches, etc. are all Greek to me!
    3. If what I describe is possible, I need a lot of information! This also has to be relatively inexpensive. I'm hoping if this is possible, the price would drop if done in large numbers.
    4. Thank you...I NEVER GIVE UP, either!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi guys, i'm in desperate need of "Office 2007 Settings Backup & restore" especially MS Word. Can any body help me with my issue???
I am currently studying Automotive Systems Engineering final year. I need a project idea for my major prjoect. I have got some ideas that I would like to do but...
Hi All, On behalf of our fellow CEan rohit330 , I am putting a question before all CEans over here: "BlackJack is a very well known gambling card game played...
Hi All, This thread will consist of only those questions whose answers are not brainy ones but very illogical. So get ready for the exercise(full of fun 😁) of your...
Recently, I attended a talk by famous management guru, Dr. C.K. Pralhad. In his talk, he said, "Entrepreneurship is about innovative ideas". I personally do not agree with that statement....